What was your first anime?

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by Karpish McKarp, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Karpish McKarp

Karpish McKarp Finger guns for days

Alternative title- which japanese animation popped your anime cherry?
    I'm a classy Karp with standards, though, so I won't mention that one.
    ... Except for the fact I just did. *Flustered magikarp noises*

ANYWAY! What anime series was your first? And did you ever watch anime again after that (for all you folks who aren't as into anime as some of us other folks)?

My first was 'Ronin Warriors' (the Japanese title is 'Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers') on toonami in the nineties. And I loved the karp outta it! I just found the Japanese version of it on Crunchy Roll and have been re-watching it with fond memories and a new appreciation. I'm glad I can appreciate it more now because of the different personalities of the characters instead of just sitting with my face to the tv going 'look at all the pretty boys with weapons!' Haha. Childhood... ... Guh. (Also, if you don't mind subtitles I strongly recommend the Japanese version. Then again, there are only, like, two title where I prefer the dub over the sub, so take that advice as you will.) ((I don't know why I used parentheses for those sentences.)) (((Those parentheses were unnessesary too.))) ((((This is madness))))

Sorry. I'm under a lot of pain medication right now.

Anyway! What about you guys?!

2. galaxy-meow

galaxy-meow dapper cat

I *think* it was Sailor Moon? I remember watching it in the evening with my sister, but I don't know what TV network it aired on that would play it at night. Other anime came into my life before I actually knew the word "anime" (probably not until Toonami). I rewatched Sailor Moon (all 200 episodes & movies) two years ago in Japanese, and WOW! Watching it subbed without the terrible dub/censorship was amazing. Sure, it was still very much a show for kids and maybe it was my nostalgia glasses, but I loved it. I even *gasp* liked Usagi! (i hated her in the English dub). Oh Sailor Moon...

One of my cousins watched Ronin Warriors, but I don't think I ever did. Perhaps I'll add that to my never ending list of things to watch...

Karpish McKarp likes this.
  3. Karpish McKarp

Ah man. Sailor moon was my shit back in the day! May I ask who your favorite character is? I was always fond of Lita/Makoto/Sailor Jupiter/ what have you.
    Though I much prefer her now that I've watched the Japanese version more. I don't know how the English version didn't annoy the heck out of me back then! Haha! One of the most annoying English lines I can remember "Lita" uttering in the English version was 'He looks just like my old boy friend'. It was in the episode she was first introduced and it has grated on my nerves ever since. Then! Then she says it again after seeing another boy after the first one left! I think the English version was Andrew? Blonde guy. Gosh it has been way too long.

Another question for you, if you don't mind indulging my need to start nerdy conversations, is have you watched crystal? What did you think of it?

4. galaxy-meow

galaxy-meow dapper cat

As a kid, my favorite was Mina/Minako/Venus. I'm not really sure why (it's been over 15yrs since watching it in english), probably because I just liked her attack. After rewatching, Rei/Mars is my favorite *glances at Mars petit chara and figuarts on shelf*. I love how sassy and mean she is.
    Andrew sounds right? IDK, it really has been too long! But I do remember her saying that in English. At least in Japanese the guys would just remind her of her senpai, which I think is much more reasonable.

I've watched the first two arcs (Dark Kingdom and Black Moon), but haven't watched Infinity yet. Bad animation aside, it's comparable to the manga. I've only read those two arcs though, and that's why I haven't continued. I'm not too fond of the pacing, everything happens one after the other. A lot of people like Crystal/the original manga and don't like the old anime, but I actually prefer the old anime. I enjoy the filler episodes because you get more "slice of life" stuff and get to know the characters better and how they interact with each other.

5. DragonSoil

DragonSoil New Member

I remember watching the first 30 minutes of Initial D somewhere on the internet as a kid, but the first Anime I actually finished was Soul Eater, which my friend showed me.

After that I never got into it like he did but I have watched some casual stuff like Attack on Titan, Squid Girl and I haven't given up on watching stuff as long as I have the time haha

6. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I was never really around anime. I didn't really watch a full series yet, but I remember glances of Gundam when I was 10 or 11.

Since then I have watched parts of them or dropped in on what a friend was watchin. I do intend to watch a few, depending on their quality. One thing I can't stand about anime sometimes is the absolutely obvious skimping out on frames. It's why I intend to fully watch one punch man, simply because the animation never cheaps out.

7. galaxy-meow

galaxy-meow dapper cat

I hate this too, but studios pump out new anime almost every season, so I can't fault them too much if they need to get them out. A lot of the times, things will get fixed in Blu-Ray releases though.

8. Impulse-8

Impulse-8 That one guy.

I want to say Pokémon. I recall seeing portions of the older episodes in Season 1 and 2 while playing the games on the side.
    Silly, dumb, destructive, over-the-top, lots of battle animation recycling and freeze-frames, and entertaining for how surreal and insane it is.
    Plus, the characters weren't always happy-go-lucky like they tend to be in the later seasons.
    You know, when Ash wasn't treated like a messiah, nor was he.
    They had petty arguments, they fought, they had clear dislikes for various things, but they still got along and supported each other as they went on.

I've odd soft spots for Drowzee and Kadabra.

But I also have lots of old memories for Dragonball Z, although that could be more because of the PS2 Budokai games and GBA games retelling events from the show.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  9. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Well-Known Member

Huh.
    Hard question. The first actual anime I saw was naruto. I only saw a few episodes and was mildly interested. I was mostly reading manga and I picked up watching anime 5 years ago, with Highschool DxD(If you see what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ...), then I saw Highschool of the dead then some other anime that my pride defends me from naming here. Then I picked up on more acceptable anime, as shingeki no kyojin, sword art online and then I got better taste xp

10. innocet

innocet New Member

I watched a few all at the same time back then... Dragonball z, cowboy bebop, rurouni kenshin, the original fullmetal alchemist lol

xaliceonfire likes this.
  11. Alex K

Alex K Guest

My first Anime was sponhebob square pants when it first came out back in May first of 1999

WolfNightV4X1 and SveltColt like this.
  12. SveltColt

SveltColt IDK anymore

cory in the house was my first anime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) jk

I think my first anime was Soul Eater.
    I loved it I even watched it to the final episode.....
    I don't really know its been a while.

WolfNightV4X1 and Sarachaga like this.
  13. DuranWolf

DuranWolf Youngish greymuzzle

For me, Voltron. Back in '84.

14. scythemouse

scythemouse Not a computer peripheral

It was either Samurai Pizza Cats or Teknoman, aka Tekkaman Blade.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  15. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Who do you call when you want some pepperoni!?

It was either Sailor Moon or Pokemon.

16. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

Kannazuki no Miko, Full Metal Panic! then Fullmetal Alchemist were my first watched Anime.

Then after that it just took off in every direction. :p

17. Garg

Garg love to you all.

oh geez, the american dub of digimon *shivers*.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  18. MaikeruNezumi

MaikeruNezumi Irritable street rat

Dragonball? Pokémon? I honestly can't remember.

19. Karpish McKarp

It's interesting how you can sort of tell a persons age by their first anime.

Like Alex, here, is probably seven.

Haha. Kidding. ;P

Really though, I could be seeing this all wrong. It is entirely possible that someone could have gotten into anime later in life and have seen some newer animes first.
    I just remember being, like, 11 watching all of my anime on toonami in the 90s.

I'm trying to do wild math in my head to think if that was accurate, but I'm coming up blank. =I

But yeah!

20. Alex K

Alex K Guest

But it is anime because the SpongeBob managed to make it past 11 seasons just like Sailor Moon and PokeMan League.

WolfNightV4X1 likes this.