What was your first anime?

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by Karpish McKarp, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Brechard

Brechard kamehameha

Woulda been Yu-Gi-Oh! that shit was amazing, anyone who wants to duel, get duel link on your phone XD

2. AdelynBlair

AdelynBlair Adelyn the Dutch Angel Dragon

My first anime was Sailor Moon. I didn't know it was anime. The fact that it was drawn differently than other shows was what I really enjoyed.

3. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

My first animoo was Dragonball but not the era you're probably thinking.
    i grew up on Okinawa in the 80's so i got front row seats to the original broadcast at a young age.
    it's obviously not the first show i watched, obviously, but it's the first that's still memorable and relevant today.

4. Twylyght

Twylyght Member

Hmmm, my very first anime was either Robotech/Macross, Akira, or the Dragon Warrior (based on the first game on the NES). It was so long ago, I don't remember clearly.

5. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

First anime I ever saw? Sailor Moon and Pokemon, probably - both were huge in Russia.
    First anime series I actually finished? Either Cowboy Bebop or Attack on Titan, I don't remember correctly.
    First titles that got me into watching anime on daily basis? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Ping Pong the Animation - I watched some titles on rare occasion, when I had nothing to do or watch, but those were two ones that really made me dive full-on into anime community and converted me from "casual observer" to "filthy weeb" :D

I think all of them are good introductions - Sailor Moon and Pokemon are friendly and simplistic enough without being completely dumb (well, compared to some other titles out there), Cowboy Bebop is the best anime series of all time in any case (no discuss, you know it's true :v ), Attack on Titan is a cool and digestible flick, PPtA is a great "token arthouse anime" for your hipsterheads of choice, and JoJo is, well, JoJo.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  6. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Technically My Neighbour Totoro or Sailor Moon, although in terms of knowingly watching anime, Welcome to the NHK! was probably my first, along with bits of Azumanga Daioh.

^ JoJo and Masaaki Yuasa series are good ways to turn you into a disgusting weeaboo. I approve.

7. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

Does Voltron count? If not, it was the first two years of Sailor Moon.

8. davydonovan

davydonovan Executor

Dose Aeon Flux count as anime?

9. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

Never cared for Chinese cartoons but most of my friends spent a couple of years trying to convince me to watch them. Got me to watch Angel Beats and Higurashi

They're pretty alright for cartoons

10. MrPhox

MrPhox Member

I would says that old anime, manga:

11. Cloudyhue

Cloudyhue Certified Fuzzbutt

Death Note. I couldn't stop watching and forgot to even eat. At one point I didn't have access to a computer so I finished the series on my iPad. I watched all of it in 3 school days.

12. MrPhox

MrPhox Member

Death note is recent and kinda sinister.
    Also I found a remake of Sally:

13. Miiuru

Miiuru New Member

The first anime I actually throughly watched was Black Butler, I have no regrets.

14. Cloudyhue

That was one of my first. Very good, indeed. One hell of a show.

15. [​IMG]

16. Miiuru

Miiuru New Member

I can't tell if you were making a reference or I'm just weak-minded.

17. Cloudyhue

That was indeed a devil of a reference.

18. Troj

Troj Well-Known Member

Grimm's Fairytale Classics, the Noozles, The Fantastic Adventures of Unico, and Unico in the Island of Magic were my first animes, that I can recall.

(Does X-Men count, given that it was animated by Saban?)

I first became aware of anime as a distinct genre when a friend gushed about Ranma 1/2.

19. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Unico! :3

My boyfriend found the complete comics at a discount when he was in town and I read a few. They're adorable.

20. Simo

Simo Skunk

Kimba, The White Lion! I still love watching that. And Astroboy.

[​IMG]