What was your first anime?

Discussion in 'TV, Video, and Film' started by Karpish McKarp, Jan 21, 2017.

1. kidchameleon

kidchameleon Active Member

Technically speaking the first anime I watched was Sailor Moon (my parents hated the fact that I watched it SO much it's hilarious), but I don't really count it on account of the fact that I didn't really KNOW it was anime. First series I watched and KNEW was anime (and also the first one I actually finished due to not getting to Sailor Moon's finale until 2010-ish) would be Chrono Crusade - which was also the first manga I ever read =3

2. kidchameleon

kidchameleon Active Member

Would you say it still holds up today? Been meaning to watch Inuyasha for a while now but there's SO many episodes and I'm a little worried I'd just be setting myself up for 100+ episodes of DBZ-style plot-stretching.

Yvvki likes this.
  3. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Probably Hamtaro and Sailor moon back when I was a kid, oh, and pokemon

4. Clary

Clary Clary Sage is a very delicious herb.

Guess it was Dragonball, when I was a young teenager. I didn't really enjoy it, I only watched it, because most of my friends did at this time. I'm not really in the whole anime theme at all but theres one, which I count to my favourite movies.
    It's called "Summerdays with Coo". I saw it randomly on TV one day, and after this, I've ordered it on DVD immediatly. Really love this movie, theres so much emotion in it!

5. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

My first anime I watchedwhen I discovered anime (ones I watched to the end), well Soul Eater, my all time favorite anime; fruits basket, wolf rain, Hetalia, aaaand Ouran High School host club

6. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

Id say watch until you get a feel for all the main characters then just move on to 'final act' there's about 30 episodes and no filler. n.n save you a lot of time. lol

7. Aczinor

Aczinor edgy coyote

Sonic X. No shame.

8. McStuffy

McStuffy New Member

Dragon Ball Z.

It still is my favorite anime of all time.

9. chirchri

chirchri Member

Hunter X Hunter,and it' s no ending...

10. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

dragon ball was the first I watched and then the first I became like an avid fan of was Trigun.

11. skeletalfox

skeletalfox New Member

If you count the first one I ever saw, it's probably Sailor Moon. The first one I ever went out of my way to see, however, was Madoka Magica. I feel like the latter really got me situated with anime as a whole.

LadyFromEast likes this.
  12. LadyFromEast

LadyFromEast Traditional Artist, Architect

I was just going to say "Sailor Moon", like Skeletalfox before me, but I just realized I did watch another anime years earlier: Yattaman
    Then I watched Sailor Moon, of course not knowing what an anime was, and then Dragon Ball.
    The first anime I've watched *knowing* it was anime was Vampire Princess Miyu, and after that - Fushigi Yuugi

13. DzahnDragon

DzahnDragon Loser Extraordinaire

I've got most of the classics from when I was a kid: Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Gi Oh, Sailor Moon...
    Hmmm, those were the days!

My roommate was a HUGE anime fan. After some convincing, he got me to watch Elfen Lied. It's hella disturbing, but I enjoyed every second of it!

The first one I watched all the way through on my own was Steins;gate, which thoroughly blew my mind. Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, check it out! It's totally worth it!

14. noxnogatabah

noxnogatabah New Member

I remember waking up one morning when I was around 7 or 8 years old, and catching Sailor Moon on television. I used to have a crush on Sailors Mars and Jupiter. ^-^ Back then though, I didn't know what Anime was called so I called them "those weird cartoons where people's mouths look like balls when they talked"...yeah, I wasn't the brightest kid lol

15. Rivercoon

Rivercoon Member

Amazing 3. Followed shortly after by Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion and Marine Boy. These of course where the American versions being shown on US T.V. in the 1960's. The first series I got into watching in Japanese was probably Zeta Gundam after seeing it at a convention in 1984 and joining the C/FO in 1985.

16. Wild-Fantasy-Run

Wild-Fantasy-Run Insert Clever Answer Here

Dragon-ball Z before funimation or toonami started. DBZ is self explanatory, after that I went on to watch Tenchi Muyo the rest is history, don't think you need the whole history. Ryoko Wifu is best Wifu.:p

17. snowyfursuitlover

snowyfursuitlover New Member

hamtaro because i was like 3 picked it up at goodwill

18. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

first proper one was probably cowboy bebop the very very first "Anime" was either Digimon or Pokemon

19. ChapterAquila92

ChapterAquila92 Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin

Sailor Moon. However, Pokémon and Digimon in their respective first seasons were far more memorable for me when they first aired in North America.

20. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

Probably Rurouni Kenshin. I remember Kenshin being my role model when I was a little kid.

21. Jack Dakuyo

Jack Dakuyo Guest

DBZ or Avatar the Last air bender.

22. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

The title of this thread gave me the initial impression that it was about weebs and anime sex; I'm glad that was not the case.

Lcs likes this.
  23. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Given your tastes, I feel safe in recommending you watch Texhnolyze. The show shares a director with Steins;Gate and has a lot in common in terms of visual aesthetic, but with the same character designer and writer as serial experiments: lain. It's dark and brutal and very strange, but I found it incredibly compelling.

24. annethecatdetective

annethecatdetective Detecting cats...

My first anime... well, my very first was My Neighbor Totoro, found in a video rental place when I was a kid...

Sailor Moon would have been the first I saw on TV/first series. There were some other strange ones found in small town video rental places, one of which I haven't been able to track down since...

25. kuro.glitterz

kuro.glitterz New Member

I used to come home from school and watch Thundercats, Sailor Moon, and Dragonball Z. I l used to go online (with slow dial up internet lol) and print pictures from them that I would trace and try to redraw (unsucessfully). I think the first anime that I watched that had an impact on me was Gundam Wing. I still love that to this day. I've rewatched it countless times.