What's the deal with Zootopia and the furry fandom?

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by FerretXing, Nov 14, 2016.

1. FerretXing

FerretXing Member

I've seen the movie twice and I don't see why there's all this hype about it. Don't get me wrong, the movie is well made but why are people so latched onto this movie and can't let go?

Zaddict16 and Rant like this.
  2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru This is not a rabbit Avatar

Don't ask me.

I just genuinely liked the movie and the message it was trying to give.

Might be because it's one of the bigger "Furry" movies? I don't know.

3. metatem

metatem The Yiffmaster

I think most of the reason is just that these were *HIGH QUALITY* furries. Zootopia is also the best thing Disney have put out in ages so... yeah. Plus Zootopia is a pretty good movie as long as you don't think about it too much. Fantastic Mr. Fox has a story that has a similar moral but fixes some issues the moral has based on the world. Because no everyone's not the same and not everyone should be treated the same. If you are a serial killer you're going to be treated a lot different by society and that's just down to brain chemistry or a bad upbringing. The original plot for Zootopia works much better but wouldn't be as suitable for kids. with the preditors being heavily controlled by the prey but Judy learns that she can trust and love a preditor despite their standing as a preditor.

4. BlueWorrior

BlueWorrior A Husky Music Dog

I'll be honest, I was brought to Zootopia because of the furry fandom, but don't I love the movie because of it's furry design... although, the film does look beautiful and I adore the character design.
    I think it's a well done story with a good writing , great comedy, memorable moments and a genuine heart-warming message. It's up there with one of my favourite Disney/Pixar movies over the past 10 years, falling just behind my top pick, Inside Out.

JohnnyLobo and Yakamaru like this.
  5. metatem

metatem The Yiffmaster

@BlueWorrior All the recent Disney movies have sort of relied on the message itself to make the movie good and have stuck to like a specific formula and all the interesting stuff is in the art and world design with the characters and stories falling far behind their old stuff. Zootopia is much better than stuff like Frozen, Brave and inside out objectively but come nowhere near stuff like The Incredibles, Up and Wall-e.

BlueWorrior likes this.
  6. BlueWorrior

I Love Up, Wall-E and The Incredibles, But Zootopia hits a chord with me and I can't articulate why, outside of my previous reasons.
    And for what it's worth, Frozen was pretty good. I know it's cool to hate that movie now but I thought I was decent.

7. metatem

metatem The Yiffmaster

I only saw positive stuff before watching frozen and thought it was like the worst Pixar movie. The note many people feel with Zootopia is mostly just the fact that the world is one of the best ones of any Disney movie with so much there to explore in fan content. There are quite a few fan comics that are recreating the original plot and I love how dark and moving they are.

Plus Judy Hopps is fucking hot as shit. 10/10 would pet.

BlueWorrior likes this.
  8. FerretXing

FerretXing Member

I watched the movie like 2 months after its release after all the hype skyrocketed, I was probably expecting too much from a movie like that since I saw some people literally obsessed with it.

BlueWorrior likes this.
  9. BlueWorrior

Super zealous fans can ruin the experience sometimes. Some people haven't played Undertale for that reason alone.

Tetrachroma and FerretXing like this.
  10. FerretXing

FerretXing Member

actually yeah, I haven't played Undertail for that reason

BlueWorrior likes this.
  11. BlueWorrior

I'll say this much. There's gonna be rule 34 for any popular game. It's an inevitability. either you let it bother you to the point where you skip it and miss out, or you accept it and move on :p

12. metatem

metatem The Yiffmaster

I was lucky enough to actually be followinng undertale since the kickstarter because I loved OFF and SLHRPG and saw someone share that in that community and some stuff from the Homestuck community.

13. metatem

metatem The Yiffmaster

Undertale is worth playing and for me was the best game that year. It's not like the best RPG ever but it's clear in every part of the game how much love went into it. In terms of indie RPGs I'd say OFF and SLHRPG are better or at least on par and are both free to play and my favorite one Mother 3 is basically abandonware at the moment even though it's a beloved Nintendo game and the translation for it is top notch.

14. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Meh~ i actually didn't like it that much. i mean, it was cute and all but like Big Hero 6, the environments and set designs were the best part of the movie for me. The character designs were cute too but not to my...taste. The story's allegorical message was poorly thought through despite its intentions because you can't draw a parallel between animals' species and human races. All around i didn't think it was all that great. Not terrible, but OK. 7.5/10

15. Starbeak

Starbeak Sent from Space, resides on Earth.

Pixar and Dreamworks Animation dominate the animated movie scene. Seeing Zootopia made by Disney Animated Pictures really showed that they can still perform good animation with a great story-line reminiscent of their renaissance era. It it a nice change of pace because the juggernauts that are Dreamworks Animations and Pixar didn't make Zootopia and some might have doubted Disney can not perform without them.

16. Alpine

Alpine The best Renault

After seeing the movie well after the hype train has departed (and trying to keep all the rule34 out of my head when I was watching it), I found the movie pretty well done in terms of showing some of the faults of today's society in a child-friendly manner. I was quite shocked by the use of casual racism throughout the movie, some of which I have seen or experienced first hand IRL.

17. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

What about Kung Fu Panda? it's also a hit series with us furries

18. Inpw

Inpw Roller Coaster Imagineer.

It got hyped in the fandom since the befur teaser. I liked it, there where some cringe stuff i would've removed (including the stupid song from shakira and shakira altogether, but that's only me.) but it brought a bit of everyday human stuff into these characters like never before seen.

Furries will like that for obvious reasons. No lore, no magic, just a simple fantasy world where mammals are evolved to walk up right and are intelligent.

19. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

because Disney marketed it to the furry fandom and tried to make it into a cash grab for them. It's as simple as that.

Cercis Lycalopex likes this.
  20. Cercis Lycalopex

Cercis Lycalopex King of the Vulpes, First of His name

Their teaser for it a year prior to release started off with the line "...Animals in Zootopia are ANTHROPOMORPHIC. This is a fancy word that means they walk around on two feet..."