What's the deal with Zootopia and the furry fandom?

Discussion in 'TV, Video, and Film' started by FerretXing, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Cercis Lycalopex

Cercis Lycalopex King of the Vulpes, First of His name

Agreed. He is my waifu!

2. [​IMG]

3. Cercis Lycalopex

Problem?

4. Gawd dayum, tf are you being all defensive for??? All I did post a reaction gif. Chill.

5. Cercis Lycalopex

Are you takin the piss, bruv?

6. wtf???

7. Cercis Lycalopex

Im jokin lol have a heart

8. Aaaaand another case of the "I don't know what to do now so I'm just gonna say I was joking." Holy fuck, that shit is spreading like wild fire.

But seriously though, was that gif "offensive"???

9. Cercis Lycalopex

No, i honestly was joking. From the very beginning.

10. Man, what a great joke. Nothing but "Problem?"

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but that has got to be the most descriptive joke I have ever heard.

Damn, a lot of people just "joking" for some reason lately.

11. redfox7777

redfox7777 New Member

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Not because of the furry thing. I've always liked animals or anthropomorphic animals in animation movies. I like all the detail and the expressions of the characters. It's one of my all time favourite movies and I watch all kind of movies ^_^

12. Chups

Chups New Member

Zootopia is terrific ! Disney did a really good work with this one :)
    Plus, it will have a sequel !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  13. ExtinguishedHope

ExtinguishedHope I lost my sock

Oooh I didn't know it'd have a sequel. I'm looking forward to that.

But Zootopia was a good film, and I'm sure some of the hype about it in the fandom could be because it brought in new people wanting to be furries.

14. Chups

Chups New Member

Hahaha you're right !!

15. AdelynBlair

AdelynBlair Adelyn the Dutch Angel Dragon

Does no one remember Disney's Robin Hood or even Aristocats? I don't see the issue. I loved Zootopia for the story, it shouldn't matter that they are animals. The theme was really about social stigmas regarding to race.

16. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

It was obvious that Disney was marketing it with a furry audience in mind. And if you make a major motion picture with a bunch of talking, bipedal animal characters, it's pretty much a given that it's going to attract furries like a swarm of Alaska mosquitoes to bare flesh.

JohnnyLobo likes this.
  17. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

There are not enough furries out there to make it to, let alone pass, the billion dollar mark. This pervasive idea that these some of these animal people films are geared toward us, uh, I mean them is ridiculous.

18. Shane McNair

Have you even watched the first trailer for it? It was most certainly marketed with furries in mind. That doesn't mean that they weren't also marketing it to the broader audience of kids and their families, but we were most certainly a factor in their marketing strategy. A Disney executive (or an agency working on behalf of Disney) even asked furries to help them promote it.

www.oregonlive.com: Disney's 'Zootopia' and furries: a match made in marketing heaven?
    gizmodo.com: Disney Is Marketing Zootopia to Furries, Which Is Genius

19. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

They obviously had no clue that the fandom does not have that kind of power. Unless someone higher up hated the project and tried to tank it.

20. Abyssalrider

Abyssalrider The Autistic Otter

you realize both of those articles more or less heavily focus on the fetish side of the fandom?

21. Shane McNair

So? That's completely beside the point.

22. Abyssalrider

Abyssalrider The Autistic Otter

both articles basically imply the fandom is entirely sexual in nature, and that's the reason Disney reached out. I highly doubt that was why, and I doubt their jounralistic integrity as well by showing a refusal to do proper research when writing an article.

23. Zaddict16

Zaddict16 Guest

Now I kinda got obsessed with the movie and watching it 61 times, it definetly showed it. Lol

24. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

Honestly, I couldn't get invested in it. A good break from the mainstream, but I didn't see anything special in Zootopia (maybe I'm a little too much of a movie critic? I know my Tech Theater class ruined plays for me, but... IDK).

Zaddict16 likes this.
  25. Troj

Troj Well-Known Member

I thought Zootopia was thought-provoking and fun, and that the world-building was excellent, but I actually like Moana better.