What's the deal with Zootopia and the furry fandom?

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by FerretXing, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Pursuit pilot - US Army Air Corps

It was obvious that Disney was marketing it with a furry audience in mind. And if you make a major motion picture with a bunch of talking, bipedal animal characters, it's pretty much a given that it's going to attract furries like a swarm of Alaska mosquitoes to bare flesh.

JohnnyLobo likes this.
  2. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

There are not enough furries out there to make it to, let alone pass, the billion dollar mark. This pervasive idea that these some of these animal people films are geared toward us, uh, I mean them is ridiculous.

3. Shane McNair

Have you even watched the first trailer for it? It was most certainly marketed with furries in mind. That doesn't mean that they weren't also marketing it to the broader audience of kids and their families, but we were most certainly a factor in their marketing strategy. A Disney executive (or an agency working on behalf of Disney) even asked furries to help them promote it.

www.oregonlive.com: Disney's 'Zootopia' and furries: a match made in marketing heaven?
    gizmodo.com: Disney Is Marketing Zootopia to Furries, Which Is Genius

4. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

They obviously had no clue that the fandom does not have that kind of power. Unless someone higher up hated the project and tried to tank it.

5. Abyssalrider

Abyssalrider The Autistic Otter

you realize both of those articles more or less heavily focus on the fetish side of the fandom?

6. Shane McNair

So? That's completely beside the point.

7. Abyssalrider

Abyssalrider The Autistic Otter

both articles basically imply the fandom is entirely sexual in nature, and that's the reason Disney reached out. I highly doubt that was why, and I doubt their jounralistic integrity as well by showing a refusal to do proper research when writing an article.

8. Zaddict16

Zaddict16 All fur one! And one fur all!

Now I kinda got obsessed with the movie and watching it 61 times, it definetly showed it. Lol

9. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 Jumping feet first into hell... seems like my job

Honestly, I couldn't get invested in it. A good break from the mainstream, but I didn't see anything special in Zootopia (maybe I'm a little too much of a movie critic? I know my Tech Theater class ruined plays for me, but... IDK).

Zaddict16 likes this.
  10. Troj

Troj Well-Known Member

I thought Zootopia was thought-provoking and fun, and that the world-building was excellent, but I actually like Moana better.

11. KageSakuraclown

KageSakuraclown Active Member

I think part of why its so will love is coz it's the first anthropomorphic animal in awhile and it's a good movie

Zaddict16 likes this.
  12. CCTakato

CCTakato New Member

For me I love Zootopia because I enjoy the story and the characters and I love the message of the film and the gorgeous animation. I also love that the movie took a darker turn in the second half and I thought they had a very clever plot twist in the film. I enjoyed Zootopia so much that I even saw it twice in theaters and I almost never do that and it was my favorite movie of 2016 though Moana was in a close second. I'm also just a big fan of Disney animation in general.