What's your favorite scary movie?

Discussion in 'TV, Video, and Film' started by DuranWolf, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DuranWolf

DuranWolf Youngish greymuzzle

Do you like scary movies? I love them! My all time favorite horror film is John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). I first saw it when I was 11 years old on cable many moons ago. It scared me a lot and gave me nightmares for many weeks. It was awesome. So, what's your favorite scary movie of all time? Annnd Go!

Twylyght and Brechard like this.
  2. Guilleum2

Guilleum2 Works too hard

I'm having a toss up between The Babadook and The Conjuring. Both of them are very very good horror movies (I'm not really into SCARY movies, more like silly B-movies) and they both left me pretty scared.

FurFunAndMore likes this.
  3. Starbeak

Starbeak Sent from Space, resides on Earth.

:)

Even though I am not big on the jump scare craze movies and games have, I like a few horror movies that use jumpscares correctly and scarcely. Some of my favorites: Frankenstein, Saw, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Insidious, Friday the 13th, Halloween, The Conjuring, Nosferatu, Scream 1, and It.

There are tons more but these make top (=

:)

Badger94 likes this.
  4. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

Alien, Aliens
    Predator, Predator 2
    The Thing
    ^ My favorites

5. bhutrflai

bhutrflai Okami convinced me to drink the kool-aid. Cheers!

My hubby (Okami) loves to watch 'The Thing'. After the 500th time, though, I am a little over it.

I prefer suspense over scary/horror. 'The Village' by M Night Shamalan is one of my faves!!

Badger94 likes this.
  6. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

The original Thing with Kurt Russell! The remake was ok, but still not as good as the original.

7. FurFunAndMore

FurFunAndMore Tiny but terrific!

I love the Babadook!!
    Also I really like Silent Hill, The Conjuring, Insidious, Annabelle, The Ring, and like a million more. I really like horror movies :)

Badger94 likes this.
  8. DuranWolf

I also like Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Halloween (1978), Halloween 2 (1981), Creepshow, Phantasm, Evil Dead trilogy, Re-Animator (1985)....I could go on forever. Nothing but the classics.

Badger94 likes this.
  9. Guilleum2

Guilleum2 Works too hard

Re-animator is like my faaaavorite movie, I dunno if I would call it scary though xD Texas Chainsaw tho... nightmares forever and ever

10. Nocturnal Zoroark

Nocturnal Zoroark New Member

I would have to say either Dawn of the Dead, both the original and remake, the first two Alien movies, the first two Scream movies, the first two REC movies, and Paranormal Activity 2 would be my favorites. Hard to decide on which one I like more.

Rant likes this.
  11. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I know this a more mild scary movie, but coraline. It's not jump-at-you-and-out-of-your-wits kind of scary, but damn is it just creepy. The entire movie is unsettling, and an even worse resolve at the end.

12. tucakeane

tucakeane Active Member

The Babadook, VHS 2 and It Follows were the last few movies to actually scare or disturb me.
    Although I rewatched It Follows and realized it has NO rewatchability. I was too invested in it the first time to notice all the plotholes and stupid moments.

DuranWolf likes this.
  13. tucakeane

tucakeane Active Member

I was an usher at our local cinema when that came out. Lots of angry parents with frightened children, especially in that last third of the movie. Personally liked it, wasn't too disturbed TBH (had already read the book) but could see why it got the reaction it did.

But some parents are too sensitive. My parents would show us stuff like Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, and Halloween when we were that age and it never bugged me. The rabid dog in "To Kill a Mockingbird" gave me more nightmares than any of those did.

DuranWolf likes this.
  14. spaceybrains

spaceybrains Active Member

I love Alien 1 and 2
    I also saw hush recently and that was amazing

Okami_No_Heishi likes this.
  15. Okami_No_Heishi

Alien 1 was the scariest shit I had seen in 1981. I had seen Friday The 13th and Halloween, and that was tame compared to Alien. Love Sigourney Weaver. She was one bad ass bit h!

16. KitSly

KitSly Single and lonely

Other than the Alien franchise and Nightmare on Elm Street, I would definitely have to say Dog Soldiers!

17. spaceybrains

I love Alien sosososoooo much for it's environment, tension, atmosphere and monster design. Aliens might be more action oriented but I love it just as much.
    One day I really hope to marathon the Friday the 13th and Halloween movies.

18. Okami_No_Heishi

Halloween was so much scarier. Probably because it was so much more plausible than Jason. And yes, the entire Alien franchise is pawsome. Love every one. Even Prometheus.

19. spaceybrains

I haven't seen 3, resurrection was cheesy (though I guess that was because of everyone's reaction to how serious 3 was), and I feel like I need to watch Prometheus again to get a better feel for it.

20. DuranWolf

I'm a huge fan of 80's horror. Especially the goofy ones like:

Maximum Overdrive
    Chopping Mall
    Silent Night, Deadly Night (caused a bit of controversy back then)
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    Galaxy Of Terror
    Humanoids From the Deep
    Terrorvision
    Night of the Creeps
    Vamp
    Motel Hell
    Scalps
    The Deadly Spawn
    Basket Case

I could go on forever.

21. Okami_No_Heishi

Oh man! Having flashbacks now!!

22. Okami_No_Heishi

I have to say that one of my favorite b horror/scifi flicks was Creature. Knockoff of Alien, but I loved it. Plus you got to see titties!

DuranWolf and BlueWorrior like this.
  23. BlueWorrior

BlueWorrior Subwoofer Extraordinaire

The Exorcist is the only movie that has given me some creeps without using bloody jumpscares.
    I also like Alien too. Very tense and moody.

24. EdgyMemeLord0

EdgyMemeLord0 Master of succ

I'm not really into scary movies :/
    But poland could into space
    Pls get that reference

Okami_No_Heishi and BlueWorrior like this.
  25. BlueWorrior

BlueWorrior Subwoofer Extraordinaire

Same. they all too regularly rely on cheap jumpscares witch I hate. I only enjoy the horror movies when they actually try to build tension through atmosphere and good writing, where you feel creeped out.
    The horror movie done wrong is the kind that make you tense and uneasy waiting for the stupid jumpscares!