What's your favorite scary movie?

Discussion in 'TV, Video & Film' started by DuranWolf, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Sarachaga

Sarachaga Well-Known Member

Both are really interesting movies. I enjoyed them too :).

2. cosmo-cat

cosmo-cat nya

i'm trying to get into scary movies, so i haven't seen a lot.. however, i watched the conjuring a few years ago and it scared the shit out of me! (that's to say i thoroughly enjoyed it.)

anyone have horror recs for movies that will scare you shitless? (and i'm not talking about dreamcatcher, if you know what i mean.)

3. Sarachaga

If you like classics, go for the exorcist or the thing.
    A movie that really gave me goosebumps was Orphan (especially one scene :D)

4. cosmo-cat

cosmo-cat nya

thanks for the recs!! i'll see about them. i've wanted to watch "the exorcist" forever so i need to get around to doing that.

5. Prometheus_Fox

Prometheus_Fox Fire Thief

The only movie that actually frightened me would have to be Misery.
    It's not supernatural, it's not a slasher.
    It's something that could really happen to a real person who got caught up at the right time and the wrong place.

As far as favorite horror genre film, I couldn't really single one out.
    Though, as a series, Tales From The Crypt has both shows and movies I adore.

Badger94 and Okami_No_Heishi like this.
  6. Badger94

Badger94 I am the world's forgotten boy

Nice topic DuranWolf! My favorite horror movie, well more of a documentary than an actual horror movie, but still absolutely terrified me is called "nightmare" i cant even describe how disturbing it is for me.

DuranWolf likes this.
  7. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Paranormal Activity was creepy as fuck! The first was great! Great concept. Great watch. The sequels were just like watching the first one. Great the first time. Overdone in the sequels.

DuranWolf likes this.
  8. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Not a big horror movie fan, but when it comes to animation, then Perfect Blue. A story about pop singer turning into acting and getting involved in more increasingly grotesque scenarios, where it's hard to understand what's real and what's not. Two points of interest is that it was a debut work of Satoshi Kon (who is universally considered one of the greatest anime directors of all time), and that director Darren Aronofsky is a huge fan of it - to the point of copying the "bath scream" scene frame-by-frame for his Requiem for a Dream, and then directing an Oscar-winning Black Swan (which was basically a modernized, live-action remake of Perfect Blue). So yeah, check this one out.

cosmo-cat likes this.
  9. cosmo-cat

cosmo-cat nya

Perfect Blue is my favorite anime movie, I'm so glad someone mentioned it. Definitely a movie if you want to be psychologically tormented with. (Not being sarcastic here at all promise- I love this movie a lot!)

10. Arcturus Maple

Arcturus Maple Tiny Miniskirt Enthusiast

Scream.

Okami_No_Heishi likes this.
  11. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Damn you, I was going to say The Thing is my favorite. Classic Sci-Fi Horror.

My favorite one other than that is Lights Out. I went to see it at VidCon, the midnight premier of it. It's got the terror ambiance and is full of jumpscares, but is done so in a way that works well and is not considered "cheap". Also the sound that Diana makes whenever she is around is fucking horrifying.

Sarachaga and Okami_No_Heishi like this.
  12. AdelynBlair

AdelynBlair Adelyn the Dutch Angel Dragon

The House of Wax but I am also partial to Silent Hill.

DuranWolf likes this.
  13. DuranWolf

DuranWolf Youngish greymuzzle

I saw the new M. Night Shyamalan movie Split a few days ago. Although not a straight horror film, but more of a psychological thriller, it still has a chilling, unnerving effect to it. I felt like I was watching an Alfred Hitchcock film, who is one of Shyamalan's influences. I highly recommend it.

14. Alex K

Alex K Guest

When Scary Movie first came out I was horrified!

15. T-LARC

T-LARC Well-Intentioned Mess

If someone hasn't said 'Jacob's Ladder' yet, I'll consider this thread a crime against humanity! But seriously, Jacob's Ladder has some of the best acting, scriptwriting and special effects in modern cinema in my opinion, and it shouldn't hold up nearly as well as it does. I'd really recommend you to check it out if you get some free time!

16. T-LARC

Trust me, we all were.

17. Alex K

Alex K Guest

But unlike other scary movies Scary Movie just compiled other scary horror films into one! :(

18. T-LARC

Well, that's not the only reason it scared people...

19. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Yeah!
    I especially was scared at the part when the black lady's head started talking after she got it chopped off!

T-LARC likes this.
  20. Sarachaga

I feel like Jacob's Ladder is more eerie than scary. Still a great and very disturbing film!