Who do we work as?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Tomin

Tomin New Member

I was wondering what jobs you guys have or what you are studying.

I, for example hold the prestigious title of being a dishwasher.

2. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

I'm a college student majoring in media arts. Currently unemployed, tho.

3. Dmc10398

Dmc10398 riding against the wind

I'm a fleet supervisor for a national trucking company, basically I'm in charge of the dispatchers for my area (southern AZ)

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

My job is the hardest of them all and takes extreme time, patience and responsibility, and that is the job of looking for a job. Alas, I am a perpetually unemployed social fuckup.

AustinB, Bam_Bams, Ninth and 2 others like this.
  5. RandomNinja11

RandomNinja11 Meme King

Soon to study Information Assurance

6. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

I'm a computer engineering grad student and research assistant.

I get paid to nerd out all day long. c:

7. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Currently a Medical Attendant and a janitor assist as a small thing on the side.

Study Neuroscience in hopes to become a Psychiatrist one day.

8. Norros

Norros Guest

Engineer at iron and steel producing company.

9. ellaerna

ellaerna Sass Master

Lab Manager for some behavioral psychology professors. I'm basically a glorified research assistant.

10. Tomin

Tomin New Member

Nice I am quite interested in heavy industry. So I was wondering what is it like working in steel mill?

I have never heard of that, what is it about? Verifying info?

11. fallout19980

fallout19980 Just some guy writing stories and playing dota

Uni marketing student. Currently unemployed. Last job I had was working at a restaurant.

12. CostaRic

CostaRic Member

Studying Digital animation and working as a Freelance artist, so far I am unemployed but at least commissions help me in the downtime.

13. RandomNinja11

RandomNinja11 Meme King

Cybersecurity.
    Hey, really good pay, ezpz to get a job, cool major, computer related - it literally checks every box in what I look for lol

14. Cowmatian

Cowmatian New Member

I'm an applied math major entrring my fourth year. After that it's on to grad school for mechanical engineering.

15. Dubwolf

Dubwolf New Member

Well i am cnc operator
    I have been working for year and half ;)

16. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Journeyman Electronics Technician. I work on Fire alarms, intrusion alarms, master clock systems and communication/public address systems.

17. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Industrial pressure and vac operator. Use vac+pressure trucks to move liquids/solids, clean up industrial environmental releases, locate/bury utilities, dig holes, clean industrial equipment, building interiors, or inside of lines for maintenance to work on, de-energizing and ventilating sour production lines/vessels, confined space cleaning of vessels under air, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's easier to name what we don't do on an oilsand plant; we don't pipe-fit, insulate, do radiation testing, or do electrical work.

18. Scorpen

Scorpen Literal S.O.B

I waste my days managing a restaurant.

19. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

you know those stickers on apples? yeah i do that
    so you may not know the answer but why the fuck wont you guys come out if neighbours call you? a while ago there was a house two doors down where the alarm went off but it wasn't one of those silent light flashing cops come round alarm it was one of those "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! SILENT ALARM ACTIVATED!!! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" things

but the thing was that the people were over seas... we had that going for about 3 weeks before some one valdalized the alarm box and ripped it out there was this weird loop where the cops couldn't deactivate it just let the owners know and the security company refused to come out and shut it off because they couldn't get a hold of the owners

20. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

I am currently doing Gender and Racial studies, and about to get a PhD in Social Justice. Yeah, no. Fuck that shit.

I am currently unemployed, though currently having work practice at the support department in an electronics store three times a week. Bought a new phone and need your shit transferred to the new from the old one? Come to us, we'll take care of it. Bought a new laptop and want anti-virus 'n shit installed? Come to us. Have a problem with hardware? We'll fix it in-house, or have it sent to a workshop. The tasks are pretty fun and extremely varied. No day is the same as the previous one.

Though, social anxiety, Asperger's and a general dislike/hatred of people make customer contact kinda.. Hard. Very hard. I'm not meant to do much customer contact for the most part due to being responsible for more of the background work/tasks, but some can't be avoided. It's good training, allowing me to constantly test my limits of social, face-to-face interaction. But sometimes those limits have been pushed way way too far, as I had a freakout last Monday at work, and ended up being unable to go there last Wednesday as a result of the anxiety attack. My councellor at the work office, contact person at Hapro Involve(basically a company that actively helps you look for jobs by helping you plan out your career paths, interests, and future plans/dreams, etc. She's incredibly fun and charming to talk with) and the department head were properly informed about my social anxiety from day one, and that my social anxiety may cause problems. And it did.

Other than that, it's pretty damn fun. Have a contract for about 3 months, but there is potential for extensions.

21. GreenZone

what you're describing is what we call "work for the dole" provided by a job service provider

22. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

CNC operator. I do cool stuff from metal rectangles that's then used as parts for cars you drive. When there's no work, I also go into plumbing room, sleep a lot and get paid for that too, so yeah, it's perfect. I do all that stuff poorly (except the sleeping part), mind you, so I won't recommend you to buy a car from Ford or Nissan anytime soon - don't blame me for brake malfunctions and exploding engines if you get killed, I clearly warned ya!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  23. Norros

Norros Guest

Lol, Im involved in steel production for car industry and it seems that there is a part of my guilt too.

24. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

When it comes to car industry, it's something of "Who screws the customer in the most lethal way" contest, really

25. GreenZone

it depends on the brand i know Mercedes borderline shoots its workers for fucking up... the south african plant is meant to be one of the strictest auto plants in the world i think