Why are we so gay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nastala, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Nastala

Nastala nerd

I mean this objectively of course. Why is homosexuality, bisexuality, etc. so much more frequent among the furry fandom than the general public? It doesn't even seem like a minor difference between the two, I actually feel like completely straight furries are by far a minority. I have a couple of ideas why, but nothing really solid:

1. The majority of furries are relatively young, usually no older than 25 or so, meaning a lot are still in a phase of sexual experimentation
    2. Regarding NSFW art, all the undesirable aspects of a gender are usually omitted, depicting "ideal" visions of a sexual figure, causing increased openness to sexually deviant attractions
    3. The removal of said features plus special drawing styles can blur the line between male and female (that's what I think did it for me)
    4. General reservation of judgement and acceptance among fandom members allowing people to be more open of their own sexualities
    5. Lack of acceptance of gays by the general public leading to them searching for new groups to involve themselves with, leading them to the furry fandom

any other theories?

2. Ginza

Ginza Unironically Ironic

I have no idea, but wonder myself. It's not just with furries, a lot of the weirder and more obscure fandoms have a noticeably high level of LGBT members. I'll hold off on commenting further for now, although my curiosity is ever growing..

3. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

it has to do with the acceptance found in the fandom, also like minded individuals. The general public is less forgiving and their values differ from the socially liberal people mostly found in the fandom. The furry fandom like many other fandoms are a place where people can share their interests with other like minded people in a somewhat safe environment. If you ever go to a con you can kind of feel it by the way people interact that don't know each other (speaking from two year experience from Anthrocon).

4. Rimna

Rimna Far from the madding crowd

I have no idea, but I like it. I'd feel pretty swell if we can all be groovy and get along.

5. Nastala

Nastala nerd

idk man I think we all get along pretty well

6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

According to statistics so far, actual straight people are a minority, that is correct.

GBT individuals tend to be attracted to the fandom due to its openness.

7. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

You could have set up a poll, but it's only going to be constrained to a limited sample that frequent the forum.

8. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

We have a fabulous, inclusive and accepting group of people able to shrug off species bias... so here, discarding some outdated social bias against certain sexual preferences doesn't even rate a mention. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that of that community? I think its awesome.

Brings to mind the closing verse of "Imagine"...

I hope some day you'll join us,
    And the world will be as one.
    -- John Lennon

Sgt. Kai likes this.
  9. -..Legacy..-

I never got into worrying who is what. I mean, does it matter what others do behind closed doors? Something that doesn't even affect you whatsoever?

I think not, personally.

I'd played pool with a particular group of guys one night, and near the end they seen me eyeballing one of the waitresses who was serving me. They asked me if I was bi, and had told them I wasn't. They're like, but we are. So? You play pool, I play pool. We play pool. There's no point in segregating the two.

So, no. It doesn't matter to me what the "count" is. You like what I like? Cool with me, I'll consider you a friendly.

10. Nastala

Nastala nerd

I thought about it but I more wanted to hear people's thoughts about it than just a list of who agreed with what

Open_Mind and -..Legacy..- like this.
  11. Astusthefox

Statistics from these two sources say otherwise www.adjectivespecies.com: Furry Demographics http://furscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Fur-Science-Final-pdf-for-Website_2017_10_18.pdf

Its a slight majority but straight people are still the majority in the fandom with the first source saying on the Kinsey scale that 20% were exclusively heterosexual while about 15% were exclusively homosexual. While the other says exclusively heterosexual about 22% and exclusively homosexual about 12%. It appears however that people who stay longer in the fandom are more likely to be gay however... which may be more of why people tend to think that the furry fandom is primarily homosexual, because the most prominent members are homosexual

12. Nastala

Nastala nerd

someone should conduct a study on the half-life of a person's heterosexuality after joining the fandom

jarthla and Open_Mind like this.
  13. Astusthefox

[​IMG]

Adjective species posted this which shows that people over time tend to shift to either bi or homosexual after being straight, though no units soooooo..... yeah

Ginza, Yakamaru and -..Legacy..- like this.
  14. Yakamaru

Those statistics only represent a small fraction of people, but they are the only statistics we have. The only way to get more accurate numbers would be to ask like half the fandom, or ask every single one in it.

The servers I am on are pretty much sausage fests with 80-95% males who are predominantly gay/bi.

People's sexuality in a decent amount of cases fluctuate. For others they are certain about their sexuality.

It's a rather interesting phenomenon, to be honest. I've never seen this level of sexuality fluctuation. Ever.

Open_Mind and -..Legacy..- like this.
  15. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Lack of units would be because it's a percentage-based diagram (though a grid or something to make it easier to read might still be nice). Honestly, I find it more interesting that the pan and gay bands widen noticeably while the bi band stays relatively consistent. Mind, I don't think this is a longitudal study, so it could potentially also be reflecting shifts in populations people enter fandom from.

Astusthefox and -..Legacy..- like this.
  16. DakaraiDragon

DakaraiDragon In the Court of the Crimson King

I just like boys and girls and anthros lol. Why complicate things?

jarthla and -..Legacy..- like this.
  17. -..Legacy..-

Well, people originally starting as hetero more than likely won't go straight to gay.

That would explain the increase in pan/bi numbers at that point, while pan/bi can go full gay.

18. Nastala

Nastala nerd

I just love finding the cause of things, I think it'd be cool to find out exactly why this is the way it is

19. Astusthefox

I was actually just discussing this with my sociology professor before... it seems rather counter intuitive that you could base generalizations around an N group as small as 500, but apparently there is research that shows if you take a completely random survey like that multiple times from different sources and it adds up (how each source took a pool every year anonymously for a couple of years), its considered to be fact despite not being 100% accurate. Its also important not to forget that your own social location affects your perception on reality and can sometimes make you believe that something that isn’t necessarily true, is in fact true. For example did you know that only 18% of marriages in the US are interracial? Someone in the middle of rural Iowa is likely to believe that number is a lot lower because there are majority of people there are white. Whereas someone in a city like San Francisco is likely to believe the number is much greater because there is a lot of diversity in the area. Odd stuff how your culutre and who you see in that culutre changes how you view the rest of the world as well as what you think is right and wrong with the way other people live

Nastala likes this.
  20. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

Facinating data. Didn't even consider it could shift over time. Thanks for posting that.

21. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

The problem is that practically all furry surveys have not had random selection, which in my understanding is still necessary if you want to make accurate generalizations based on sample data.

22. Yakamaru

Interracial marriages are at 18%? That's actually higher than what I was anticipating, at 10-13%. Sociology is a fun topic. On the same topic, 70-90% of people generally tend to get with their own race due to preferences if my numbers are correct.

Sexuality fluctuates. Some gays turn bi, some gays turn straight, some straight turn bi, some straight turn gay, you name it.

Shit shifts all around. A friend of mine literally turned bi while we were having conversations on a server on Discord. A very fun thing to see live.

Astusthefox and -..Legacy..- like this.
  23. -..Legacy..-

Had something similar happen to a friend, the confusion he displayed was hilarious as i calmed him down lol.

Yakamaru likes this.
  24. Yakamaru

Lmao. Fun thing is, he was 100% certain in his sexuality, aka being heterosexual. Then someone came and completely swept him off his feet. And is now in a relationship with a guy from Australia. Fun shit, yo. :D

connortheskunk and -..Legacy..- like this.
  25. Astusthefox

Its random to the point where anyone who wants to take the survey can take it/are at a popular convention and get a free sticker or something for it. Its going to be nearly impossible to scope out random furries in random homes and ask them to take a questionnaire considering your odds of finding a random person who’s a furry is in itself very unlikely by random chance. For what it is, that is the most accurate generalization you can get from random participants who are doing it while they’re waiting in line at a convention or bored at home want wanting to give back to the community with research. But yeah it could be better in a lot of ways