Why are we so gay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nastala, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

Since it seems germane to the topic: any reliable estimate of the national percentage of people describing themselves as furries? Say, in the US. I know it's low, but are we talking 1% ? Thanks

2. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

I think 1% would be a huge stretch, honestly.

3. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

If I remember correctly from the last time i went to the furry psychology panel at AC.... it was somewhere around 1 million estimated in the US/Canada region but don’t quote me on that >.>

Ramjet556 and Open_Mind like this.
  4. connortheskunk

connortheskunk definitely did not look at yiff last night.

I think it would probably be somewhere around 1 in 2000 in the U.S. (meaning ~162,000 furries in the U.S. out of 324 million). Around 1 in 4000-5000 in other western countries, and around 1 in 15,000-20,000 in non-western countries. This is just based on intuition, nothing factual, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was terribly wrong. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't too far off, either. So the next time you go to a sporting event and they say the attendance that day is 34,792, you can assume that there are around 16 other furries in the stadium, which is pretty cool, I think.

-..Legacy..- and Astusthefox like this.
  5. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

because I cant scare them straight

Ramjet556 and Nastala like this.
  6. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Administrator Staff Member

I don't think the fandom is overwhelmingly gay as much as I think people don't have to worry about the social norms that's expected of us from average everyday life.

Think about it. If your entire life you're kind of told to act one way, be one thing, follow your dreams, go to school, get a career, marry and have kids and you're always funneled down this path that's what you're going to know. It's ingrained. "This is how it's supposed to be." It's expected.

Then one day you find a find an online community that's literally telling you to be yourself... or be whatever you want to be, that society's norms no longer apply and any restrictions no longer matter people are going to be free, want to experiment. Inhibitions are free to experiment and play. Nobody really cares. I mean, okay, SOME people may care but by and large nobody really gives two damns. Be free to be you. Or even experiment to find out who you really are. Nobody's here to tell you what's right or wrong but you.

Sexuality isn't binary. It kind of wavers for most people, and here people get to freely follow their passions.

Ramjet556 and Dongding like this.
  7. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

because

>:c

jarthla likes this.
  8. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

ugh... I hate this stigma.. we're not all gay, we aren't all bi, we aren't all poly, or gender fluid lol or any of that, some of us are just straight :p

Ginza, Ramjet556 and Yakamaru like this.
  9. Nastala

Nastala nerd

I didn't say we were...

10. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm part of the top 0.05% :p

11. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

John:
    I think, that any alternative crowd tends to attract those with romantic or adult interests that vary from the norm.
    Being part of a more open and free thinking community since personifying yourself with an animal is alternative means people are open to more alternative ideas in general. Not just in a fantasizing way like imagining what if but just that the mental make up of a person who would choose to take the persona of an animal is already that of someone who's open to new ideas. They have less boundaries built by social pressures or they are weak or easier to overcome. Also a certain level of anonymity the internet provides allows freedom of thought without judgement or consequences in many cases. People are free to be who they want to be and try new things. All ideas are open to them with only their own digression as to what is acceptable or not. Not so much a case of experimentation but more of a rubber band effect brought on by social pressures.

connortheskunk, Nastala and Open_Mind like this.
  12. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

The fact that the graph transitions really nicely between the years tells me that was probably a really small sample size.

I would also say if it shows anything, it shows that people are becoming more true to who they are due to the openness here.

13. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

What i'm not worried about is the Gays, gays are cool as long as they don't hit on me and take no for an answer.

What i'm wondering is where all these new pronoun'ed people are coming from. Not that there's anything wrong with who you believe you are, but I swear to God out of nowhere we got this....it's like.....wat, out of the blue. Like I said I have nothing against them, but why now in the 2010's and not like, 1980? what sparked dis? o3o

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 12:04 AM
    BahgDaddy likes this.
  14. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

Oh, please. I'm all for trans being recognized as their gender/non-gender and being allowed military service etc, but this is really too far. Seriously, that looks like an alien language.

Yakamaru, Ginza and Nastala like this.
  15. Nastala

Nastala nerd

I think people will believe whatever nonsense they're given the freedom to, especially those seeking some sort of outlet to make them feel unique. It's probably just best to let people do what they do

BahgDaddy likes this.
  16. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Pan/bi could just as easily go full straight. Pretty sure my BFF has gone that direction.

connortheskunk and -..Legacy..- like this.
  17. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

It was initially meant to imply, that polarized ends of the spectrum experiment towards the middle, before going completely left or right on the scale. Pan/Bi are essentially the middle ground of 100% straight/100% gay

Yakamaru, connortheskunk and Ginza like this.
  18. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

To some extent, perhaps; if that were the case I'd expect a longitudal study to show bi/pan bulging in the middle, though, which at least the graph presented here didn't show.

I suspect much of it also comes down to what people are happy calling themselves. Outside of fandom or other subcultures/communities, someone who is attracted to the opposite sex nine times as often as to the same sex may be more likely to round that to "straight", as the same-sex attractions are rare enough to not be worth the stigma.

Open_Mind and -..Legacy..- like this.
  19. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

they/them/their/theirs/themself unless they specifically identify themselves as male in which case he/him/his/his/himself or identify as female in which case she/her/her/hers/herself. That's got me through life so far across all the variants I've been in contact with throughout my life and considering the communities I've been on that's a hell of a lot. All the rest just sound like someone with a strong accent.

20. Inkblooded

Inkblooded Active Member

Because a lot of the furry fandom is things considered "unmasculine" and most men avoid "unmasculine" things because their ego is fragile. Gay and bisexual men are considered unmasculine, so they feel more free to participate in "unmasculine" things.
    (And often going way too far and you end up with the kind of obnoxious gay furries who self-identify as "femboys" and cant go 5 minutes without using XD or saying things like hai, rawr, bai, snugglez, nuzzles. The kind that makes me want to eat my own eyeballs.)

If we didn't live in a society that valued fragile masculinity so much I'm sure there wouldn't be a noticeable sexuality gap.
    Also, I don't think straight male furries are rare or even uncommon. It's just the gay ones are louder (obnoxious) and thus more noticeable. And men are more likely to be openly gay/bi online than IRL, so it seems like there's more gay furries than gay elsewhere but it's not.
    You will notice that the sexuality ratio isn't so unbalanced for female furries.

Nastala likes this.