Why is the Furry Fandom frowned upon by mainstream society?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moo moo who who, Nov 12, 2017.

1. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

I can't take credit for it - my furry pen pal came up with it. :)

Yakamaru likes this.
  2. Simo

Simo Skunk

It is curious that whatever animal the show is about, they mate at some point. One thing I noted that it's one time when you can get shots of fast moving animals being (relatively) still, and not running about. So there's a certain practical aspect to it: I've noted that with certain animals, say, The Fossa, it's hard to get shots of them, as they move so fast, so most any documentary footage I've seen, they're mating, or in some stage of competing to.

Oh, and yes, I did giggle.

And I think David Attenborough did, too. : )

3. ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze Active Member

"The Goat/Wolf hybrid is attempting to woo the skunk, while at the same time avoiding any sudden movements so as to not get sprayed."

Open_Mind, Dongding, P_Dragon and 3 others like this.
  4. BahgDaddy

Isn't something like this the basis for Pepe la Pew or whatever?

5. TwizztedDragon

TwizztedDragon New Member

i think the non furrys are just jealous that a hot furry stole their wife or husband. Because i see alot more sexy and beautiful furrys than normal women and men. So i think it's just jealousy. But the biggest concern i have is if your proud too be your self, why do you even care what people think about what you do and who you are. Love you for you nd thats all that matters.

Simo likes this.
  6. P_Dragon

P_Dragon Active Member

I believe it.
    I find it tragically amusing how social ineptitude can cause so many issues for folks, so long as it doesn't result in anything heinous or violent. Case in point: My whole life lol

Yakamaru likes this.
  7. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

I'm sure everyone has touched base on this already, but I didn't feel like reading all the previous replies so im going to just throw my two cents in.

Thanks to a combination of various media outlets, such as CSI, the Tyra Banks Show, and general stupidity, the furry community has definitely been drug through the mud, if you ask anyone on the street what a furry is, they are going to tell you its a sex thing, and yea.. for some people it is, however that is a small sliver of the fandom, just like any other fandom has their kinks, but because of those few media debacles, other things have caused issues.. a murder happens, oh look he was a furry. Pedo rapes a child, he was a furry. we are definitely a very misunderstood fandom.

But with all bad things, comes good, thanks to the positive members of our community, we are loved in places like pittsburg where anthrocon is held yearly, and we are as a community healing. Yes, occasionally we have setbacks, but that's not a furry thing.. that is a HUMAN thing. And as much as none of us WANT to be human, sadly, we can not yet change that... so we press on, we try to make a good name for ourselves, we try to show the normies that we are not sex crazed pedos, we do what we can to be good and kind to each other. We need to show the rest of the world that under our suits, we're MOSTLY good people, being behind our suits or our masks, or costumes, whatever you call it, makes us more comfortable, it draws us out of our shells.

What those normies, muggles, whatever do not understand... is it takes a ton of courage to put on a dog suit and go out into public, it takes a lot of guts to smile and face the world while sweating balls in a dragon suit, and do our best to make people happy, to dance and play, knowing how the world judges us, and yet, still doing what we love to do. Furries are some of the most courageous people in the world, and fursuiters are my heroes! I can not wait to eventually get a full suit and join them!

The world is an ugly, horrible, hate filled, selfish place, but being a furry makes it a little bit brighter for me.

8. TheArchiver

TheArchiver Ace Documenter

.....Another one of these threads?

Has the obvious answer not been made abundantly clear the last several hundred times this topic has been dredged up?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Yakamaru, Ginza and Crimcyan like this.
  9. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Active Member

There IS no answer: just opinions of what the answer is.

Simo likes this.
  10. TheArchiver

No. The fandom is rather outwardly gross.

Yakamaru, Crimcyan and Ginza like this.
  11. Ginza

Ginza Unironically Ironic

Nah, I'd say we all can generally see why. Why a group is hated isn't usually a mystery

Yakamaru likes this.
  12. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Active Member

What is "gross," though? IMO, what happened at Rain-Furrest, yes, THAT is gross. Stuff like fetishes and NSFW art, IMO, is weird, but more or less is harmless. No, we're not perfect, but I do not believe we are as bad as you or Yakamaru make us out to be.

Simo likes this.
  13. TheArchiver

No. We absolutely are.
    I've listed several reasons why in a thread that was haphazardly hidden.
    The stigma is deserved.

14. Ginza

Nobody makes it out to be bad. Some of us however, point out bullshit and weirdness when we see it. you can like whatever you want, just keep it out of real life.

A quote I like

"What you do on your own time is just fine, I just never want to know"

Yakamaru and Crimcyan like this.
  15. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Im fox now, BAMBOOZLED

Well here's today's shit show...

Yakamaru, BahgDaddy and Ginza like this.
  16. TheArchiver

Self identified gamers are unabashedly hostile and toxic.

Weeaboos are uncultured manchildren with a fetish for contemporary Japan or rather a nauseatingly romanticized misunderstanding of it.

And furries are very wildly disgusting in their sexual expression, unwarranted sexual advances, and copius despicable social habits.

It is not difficult, correct.

17. Ginza

Well said xx ain't nothing wrong with it, just can't pretend it's not weird

Yakamaru likes this.
  18. TheArchiver

It transcends being weird in many cases. Though weird has it's own thresholds and spectrums that can extend into areas that should not be tolerated. Furries breach this threshold often.
    I would say they are quite comparable to "hardcore" gamers. Not in specific actions but in their actions specifically being linked back to their respective fandom.

For example: Star Wars BattleFront 2 (2017) is being accused of enforcing a pay to win business model. In response, gamers have sent death threats and targeted harassment campaigns to a single EA developer.

The furry equivalent is the recent arrest of a Renton man who raped his therapy dog in his fursuit.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  19. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

Thank you, Thank you. Yes!

connortheskunk likes this.
  20. A lot of things that are weird but harmless are often seen by the public as depraved or "gateways" to damnable things, even when they are not. Whether or not the fandom deserves that taboo (personally, I think it is too collectivizing to be deserved), it is difficult to remove it when extreme examples are the primary examples being published.

21. BahgDaddy

Overgeneralize much?

Simo likes this.
  22. BahgDaddy

Fallacy of small sample size and false equivalency. If your last statement has any merit, then the stories I see in the UK where oddballs have had intercourse with horses clearly means Brits are perverts. :rolleyes:

23. Extreme examples exist in all walks of life. You can literally google a fandom name, combined with a crime, and you'll see an article about the two being connected. I just typed in Star Wars and murder, and an article about a Star Wars fan killing his wife over his toy collection appeared as a top result. Whether it's an exaggerated article or not, the public is very quick to associate uncommon interests with crimes.

There are bad examples in the fandom, but personally I think those people would have been bad no matter what they associated with.

Simo, Ginza, Yakamaru and 3 others like this.
  24. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

I don't believe this is generally the case. Most people haven't really heard of the fandom and don't know a whole lot about it. Usually when they encounter it, it's either delightful, weird, or both. How they respond to new things (fear? attraction?) is a part of that. There are certainly those who do disparage the fandom, and they wish there were a general negative connotation for it. They may even try to promote that negative idea generally outside the fandom community, but that seems a bit hollow to me.

Simo likes this.
  25. JJPaw

JJPaw New Member

From my observation of the fandom. The furries who represent the fandom are more of the outcast, sex-crazed, untamed and somewhat immature bunch. The more matured furries stay back and continue to allow letting the artwork, fundraising and down to earth attitude represent the fandom. Well, whenever the media inches toward the fandom, the immature furries stood up loud and proud. "Are you guys really all about the sex?" The media asked. "YAH! WE'RE TOTALLY INTO IT! CHECK OUT MY COMMISSION DONE ABOUT MY INFLATION FETISH!" one furry could say. "I LIKE PUBLIC SEX!!" another furry spouts out.

So it'd be, the media has their encyclopedic entry of what the fandom is all about the more the wrong sources are heard from. As we know about the media, they don't let stuff simply die. It's carried on, spread about and heard by all of the other fandoms and furries are subjected to a hate plague that's still with us today.

And the sex-crazed nutters champion themselves as the speakers for the fandom. On one hand, the media is an incredibly damaging tyrant of reckless information. But on the other hand, I'd wish the fandom got more better coverage though the efforts to clean up the fandom from the sploogefest a night ago, comes back again when a ounce of respect to the fandom is rewarded. The circle goes on forever like this.

-..Legacy..-, Open_Mind and Yakamaru like this.