Why sex ed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leoni Zheitk, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Common sense may not be so common.

Hello my fellow furries, I've just been wondering what everyone's thoughts and ideas are about sex ed in school? (Disclaimer: I live in Canada, so my education may be different from yours)
    Sure I find it necessary to know how to use a condom to prevent having a baby and all that, however, I'm still scratching my head on why there isn't a class on how to raise a baby in case you wanted to, sure there are classes on this case but they are not mandatory (from what I've heard).
    Also, doing essays on all the methods of contraceptives and what not is kinda not my cup of tea...

Reyna Malone likes this.
  2. Karatine

Karatine Call me kittteeeehhhh

Basically all they said in my class was to never have sex. Very helpful. Not.

3. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

Oddly enough, my school had a class on raising kids but never covered sex in the health class. Our district actually banned discussion of contraception and required abstinence-only discussion instead.

4. LycanTheory

LycanTheory Free to good home.

What the hell? Have we gone back in time 60 years?

5. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

In my school we had a class on raising kids and the class even entailed daycareing kids for free with in the same town just younger then preschool age as an educational program. Both the students and toddlers would learn.

6. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

More like 600 years.

When I went to school we had proper sex ed in 8th and 9th grade despite both sessions only lasted a month each grade. The rest I learned on the internet through you know what. And boy did I learn fast about the pleasures of having an orgasm.

We went through everything from proper condom usage to the consequences and dangers of child birth and sex without protection. STD's too, now that I think about it. And secondary sex characteristics.

As for raising a baby: It's not rocket science. Expect to spend many hours a day and feed the "Sleep 'n shit"(My mom called my oldest younger sister "Screamin' sleepy shit" because that's all she did as an infant most of the time). You're going to be spending a lot of time and energy. May even have to take a lot of time off of work in order to take care of the baby.

No one wants an infant but everyone wants a child(3-13). Then no one wants a teenager(12-19)(due to overflowing hormones in some cases), but once they grow up(16-20) you can do nothing but be reminiscent of the past. And always bring up dumb shit you did as a child. Mothers..
    Sounds like a hardcore Christian private school or some shit.

Best way to not get a girl pregnant? Condom? No. Other ways of preventing a pregnancy? Nope.

Fucking abstinence.

Arcturus Maple and LycanTheory like this.
  7. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

My sex ed class was in sixth grade, actually, and reasonably comprehensive, although they kind of tiptoed around homosexuality in an odd way; I was the first and, I think, only person to bring up anal sex, because I was a curious, blunt child who read a lot of age-inappropriate books, and the teacher gave a sort of awkward, cursory explanation and moved on.

I was a bit of a late bloomer in certain respects, and I'm not sure that helped. But by the same token, my high school was mostly very inclusive, and it still took me until I was nineteen to really clamber out of the closet.

Reyna Malone likes this.
  8. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Raising a baby doesn't require a class. It just requires a little common sense. There isn't a handbook either. Lol.

9. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

On the contrary, we're suspended in limbo about 600 years ago. And to think we're required to sit through someone who clearly hasn't taken their own advice telling us to never have sex, but they never even teach us how to fill out a 1040... I live in America.
    "Welcome to America! You can legally own a gun, but you'll catch all kinds of hate for it! You learn about abstinence in school, but not how to drive safely or file taxes. Don't worry, as long as you remember that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, every college will want you!"
    *Applies for college, is denied by a few*
    "WTF, man?!"
    "Welcome to America! We lied!"

10. Okami_No_Heishi

Lol! So true!!! You can sign up or be drafted at age 18, go off to foreign lands and kill people, but you can't by a freaking beer in your own homeland!!! BS!! Welcome To 'Merica!!! And it IS the land of the free, just as long as you pay your taxes!!

Zenoth and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  11. Okami_No_Heishi

Sex ed in the USA only really started in the 1980s to try to inform us about AIDS and other STDs. And it hasn't changed in 35 years.

12. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Since the US doesn't have any federally mandated "this is what this class must contain" and few if any federally mandated classes that must be taken by all students at a certain level of education (forgive me for not knowing the details of US education; I went to high school in Iowa for a year but that's the extent of my personal experience with the US educational system), what exactly is offered in terms of sex ed will vary between states, school districts, and likely even schools/individual teachers.

I took a class that my school called "Perspectives on Life" which included a sex ed unit that was... relatively frank and comprehensive, but a little bit behind the times (didn't cover contraceptive implants as a method of birth control, and the teacher readily acknowledged to me when I mentioned mine to her that the US was rather behind Europe in such things at the time), and as I recall rather heteronormative. It was still pretty okay on the whole, as sex ed goes.

At my high school in Sweden, we had a guest lecturing sexologist quite seriously assert that anal sex is always painful. (Though when I scandalized my male classmates by mentioning the role of the prostate in male enjoyment of it, at least our Physics teacher backed me up. Which was hilarious, and I have fanfiction to thank for it.) By which I mostly want to say that no effort at education will be better than the teacher - that sexologist had her own biases, and they showed. My 8/9th grade sex ed teacher was super embarrassing at the time (the usual "oh anything to do with sex is so awkward when you're in your teens"), but ultimately knowing this stuff is going to be good for you. If I hadn't had my 8/9th grade teachers willing to take us to the local youth clinic to get information from the people working there, I'd never have known about that birth control implant I had for a good chunk of my teen/young adult life.

I think sex ed is an important class, though it may need to be framed in a broader sense than strictly sex ed. It feels kinda messed up to me that it took me until around 8th grade (age ~14-15) to even start to figure out that I was bisexual, because I didn't have the words for it and assumed sexuality was binary until I did. But teenagers could definitely use some guidance when it comes to sex and relationships. I wish I'd had it earlier than I did.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  13. Okami_No_Heishi

So true. It is needed. And it does need modernization. I live in Georgia. A Bible Belt state. Things here can get a bit backasswards because of religion. It took a lot to finally get sex ed here, in the late 1980s. Lot of Christians were up in arms about teaching kids reality instead of make believe, be ashamed of your body and sex, bullshit. We've come a long way, but religion still has a way of interfering here. Maybe one day that whole seperation of church and state thing will actually become a reality instead of an overlooked myth.

14. ZacAttackk

ZacAttackk professional procrastinator

Not sure if they offer it any more, but there was a GCSE in my highschool called child development that you could choose to take.

15. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

>Why sex ed?
    Why not? ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

16. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

You'll find there are a lot of things they don't teach you in school that is crucial to everyday life. Just take what you can then fill in the rest yourself...

17. Filter

Filter Active Member

Why sex ed? To make informed and (hopefully) responsible decisions about sex. We learned about all major forms of contraception, and touched on the idea that no birth control is 100% effective. A good portion of the class was spent learning about sexually transmitted diseases, so we were well informed about HIV/AIDS, herpes, etc. The girls also had to carry around sacks of flour for a day, to simulate a baby.

Fun fact: My sex ed teacher's brother was a professional wrestler.

18. Mobius

Mobius Mech pilot.

The sex ed where I live was pretty darn comprehensive in every aspect except for the part where they showed you how to put on a condom. I still don't know how to put on a condom to this day.

They told me I could identify as anything I wanted to and nobody could object to it, so I started identifying as a transbillionaire.

19. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Get you some condoms and a banana and practice, if you're at all interested in getting it on with other people. (If you're ace, obviously knowing how to put on a condom isn't really going to be a crucial life skill.) You don't want to be needing to do so and find yourself fumbling.

20. Mobius

Mobius Mech pilot.

I've already done it sans condom.