Why sex ed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leoni Zheitk, Mar 6, 2017.

1. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Practicing covering up a banana without an actual condom is kinda pointless. ;)

More seriously, I just want you to stay safe. There's too much risk involved with going bareback to not know how to protect yourself.

2. I really wish our sex ed would actually cover...important things... Ours skimmed over "you might bleed once a month, don't panic" and "here's a list of horrible diseases you could catch having unprotected sex" and that's about it.
    I wish they would actually cover sexual health in depth, I feel like it would clear up a lot of issues- specifically with women's health. In a perfect world, we would also get to learn about trans-health factors and such, so that people who are transgender would be able to learn what they need to know and the changes they'll undergo by taking certain hormones or T, etc etc... but that's a long way off, I imagine. Plus, I've yet to hear of any sex ed class that taught about intersex people.

idk... I'm Aro/Ace so sex itself isn't important to me, but there are a lot of health things related to sex ed that should be taught outside of the usual witch hunting for STDs and scare tactics in abstinence-only nonsense.

cosmo-cat, Arcturus Maple and Simo like this.
  3. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

"Because we are a Jesus country and sex is evil and makes you an impure devil child who will burn in hell" - Prob the reason
    Either that or discourage it b/c ... ya know, overpopulation.
    TBH there's probably a political reason

Simo likes this.
  4. WolfyJake

WolfyJake I guess I'm a hyena now... Curse you, Google!!!

Our sex ed was really comprehensive, but all really scientific. They made us put a condom on a dildo though, so we were being taught how to use a condom, which turned out to be really useful. I didn't actually pay attention during most of it because I knew I'd never have sex with a girl, and it was only really about straight sex, pregnancy and girl problems. There was a small part of the class dedicated to gay sex and the male anatomy, I did pay attention there and that too came in useful a few years later. The sex ed I had was pretty good and all encompassing. I have no real criticism about it. It is something that needs to be taught. It seems like some of you guys had prude teachers/schools that pretty much wanted to skip it or tell you that you shouldn't have sex at all. I think that should change since it is actually a really important subject.

5. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

All I had was a video with a cheesy jingle, terrible acting, and a general overview of some of the 'changes' I would experience. I knew jack shit about periods until I asked a female friend about it, because it's impossible to write a female character without learning some of the intricacies of female life. Hell, I was outright led to believe some of the dumbest shit about women, like the 'fact' that you could kick one in the cooch and it wouldn't hurt them and that you shouldn't even try. (Spoiler, it does hurt them.) Or that only women get eating disorders (learned otherwise in eighth grade from an actual teacher, at least) or other problems often attributed to women. And of course there's the double standard of female on male abuse and rape, which in today's society, is ignored because of the unhealthy masculine image every guy is subject to where we have to be big and muscular and unfeeling.
    Yeah, sex ed was uninformative and taught me nothing.

Hell, I'm twenty two and I don't know how to use a fucking condom. I should probably google it or something.

cosmo-cat and WolfyJake like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox I'm Delightfully Awkward :3

Oh, the ol' condom over the banana trick, I remember that from my sex-ed days, the entire class broke out in hysteria.

7. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

Sex ed is a necessity.
    Higher rates of sexual education leads to lower rates of std's and unwanted pregnancies which leads to fewer abortions/ greater levels of independence/ better health which leads to a generally more agreeable populace.
    #FeminismIsCancer

8. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

I think that might say more about you than anything else :p

WolfyJake likes this.
  9. WolfyJake

WolfyJake I guess I'm a hyena now... Curse you, Google!!!

Seems like most people used bananas :p
    We actually used a dildo :D

Multoran likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Oh no, we had that too. I feel so bad for the people that had to teach that class.

11. quoting_mungo

I have no idea what my class used, actually. I was home sick that day. (No, legitimately, I happened to be sick the two exact days we had sex ed in 5th or 6th grade, and I think they covered condom usage then.) A banana just seems hell of a lot easier to come by than a dildo, if you don't have one already.

Plus, you can eat the banana after. Nom nom nana. ;)

Honestly waaay too much furry fiction makes me think the writers didn't pay attention in sex ed. Cervical penetration, owww!

Arcturus Maple likes this.
  12. Mr. Fox

By that definition, they're also teaching you the art of a BJ. There is just so much suggestive imagery in sex-ed these days...

13. quoting_mungo

I'm pretty sure my husband and boyfriend both would be rather displeased with me if I treated their man-meat like I eat bananas. Most guys do not enjoy being bit down there.

14. Mr. Fox

Well, the keyword there is "most", but that entirely depends on how kinky you are. I can imagine most don't like being bit, but at the same token I bet a lot don't mind a nibble either, you can do that with a banana too.

15. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

I tried sticking a banana up my ass once.
    Not with the peel, like, the food part.
    Didn't do as much for me as I'd hoped it would...

16. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

No we did not have sex ed in my school. Though we were told about genital anatomy and second sex characteristics. I learned that girls menstruate, yuck! Also I finally figured out how babies are produced, I knew it required for a male to have sex with a female, but I wasn't sure exactly what was needed for it to happen.

But no talk about actual sex, contraception, sexual orientation, stds etc. We were told we were to young to have babies, because our bodies were not fully developed, so we don't have to worry about sex. Sex is only for adults.

17. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

I like bananas soft, squashy texture. I used to leave it inside in case it broke off.

18. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

At least in my province sex ed actually teachers kids about the do's and don'ts alongside what kind of fucked up stuff you can pick up by being unprotected. Personally I think it's very necessary given the age we live in now and with the type of hyper sexualization that's readily seen on TV of both men and women.

As far as I'm aware my province had the highest rate of teen pregnancy for quite a bit of years but that's finally fallen and it may or may not be in part due to the programs we have available

19. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

The discontinuity regarding "Sex ed" In these united states is alarming, as is the mandated state curriculum.

20. Alex K

Alex K Pending Deletion

Well if it ain't for sex Ed then who else would teach our kids about sex?