WiFi Extender Advice

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox This is what the fandom did to me!

Sup nerds, looking for advice from anyone in the know about fairly inexpensive yet reliable and fully wireless (not including power, duh) WiFi Extenders that actually work. I've been getting a lot of mixed advice on them many claiming that they are crap but I believe that varies by brand and model, and I'm sick others bitching about the dead zones on my section, so any help is appreciated.

2. Generic Fox

Generic Fox King of Autotune

TP-Link is generally the most reliable wifi option, but you'll be better off connecting to ethernet. Even if you can't conntect to your router directly, you can connect your computer to a second router by ethernet, and then connect that router to your main router by wifi.

3. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

I'd go with Generic Fox's comment about TP-Link, I used their "powerline" plugs to get internet to a room with poor wifi signal, never had any issue with them.

4. Mr. Fox

Already have a TP-LINK N600 Router, and I have old wireless modems with WPS I can use as an AP. The issue I face using that option is that the AP modem has to be wired to the device accessing it or I have to use a powerline adaptor to help boost the signal, and I might not be on the same line.

Networking has always been a weak point for me so I'm still looking at the best alternatives. What I need is something that will pick up the signal then re-boost it wirelessly.

5. jayhusky

Powerline plugs will work on your entire home circuit. For example I have one plugged into my router in my hallway, and the other is in a room on the other side of the house.
    Provided they're on your circuit, it'll work, if you lived in an apartment complex and you plugged one in yours and one in your neighbours, that wouldn't work.
    Also some powerline models come with ethernet and wifi built in, so in some aspects, it could solve all your issues.

Here's an example of one, AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender, AV1200 Powerline Edition - TP-Link

PlusThirtyOne likes this.
  6. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

+1 for the TP-Link Range Extender. Depending on the brand of router you have, sometimes it's best to stick with like-brand repeaters and stuff. For instance, Netgear and Belkin like to bitch back and forth over iP configurations and can cause random drop-offs and other networking hiccups. That's not the case with TP-Link but it sounds like you already have the ideal router for the job. Me, i use Linksys/Cisco for everything but if you have a TP-Link router, then you should stick with the AC1750. The Linksys alternative may cost you less but using the same brands within your network will cut down on troubleshooting and complications. if your firmware is up to date (often even if it isn't) both devices should have no problem linking up right out of the box.

Keep in mind that placement is key, though, when it comes to repeaters. Try to find someplace open or line-of-site like a hallway between nodes for best results. if you're aiming to extend your signal outside or to a different floor, try putting the repeater near a window on a common wall with the zone you're trying to reach.

jayhusky likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

To address the above I'll need to elaborate that the router used is broadcasted through a window (because of an aluminium wall) between two houses on the same section, but both are connected to the same power grid. This is why I think a powerline repeater won't work since it needs to be on the same circuit, and I'm not sure running off the same power grid applies to that. I'll have to pull a few fuses to find out, I suppose.

8. jayhusky

Ah i see, you may have an issue with the powerline then as if they're not the same circuit (as you said two houses either side by side or near to one another) then you can have difficulties with it. Some electric companies use a form of filtering on the line to stop powerlines working between multiple houses and I read somewhere (i'll see if i can track down the article again) it can cause issues with voltage.

9. Redlinelies

Redlinelies iRawr

It's one of those things where whatever might be mentioned there's always going to be someone somewhere having some criticism or less good things to say.

Ccould always check this out I guess:

10. Alex K

Alex K Guest

You can always just use a really really really really long cord to the wifi spot for extension