World is Ending

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BahgDaddy, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM.

1. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

I like how you think sir!

BahgDaddy likes this.
  2. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

I don't know why I find end of the world things exciting not in a evil way more like oh cool a new super storm in which we never seen before.

Zenoth likes this.
  3. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

ugh I just feel like society needs a good cleansing

4. Kit H. Ruppell

Kit H. Ruppell Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Absolutely. Anti-scientific degenerates are a serious threat to humanity and countless other species. At the very least, they are undeserving of the benefits of scientific progress which they mock.

Zenoth, BahgDaddy and Yakamaru like this.
  5. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Then we'll have to add all forms of science to be consistent. Including biological science.

BahgDaddy and Kit H. Ruppell like this.
  6. Kit H. Ruppell

All we have to do is stop saving them.

Yakamaru likes this.
  7. Yakamaru

We need to introduce natural selection again. I miss those days. The dumb perished while the ones with two braincells worth a damn survived.

BahgDaddy likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

When you come to terms with the inevitability of death, the world ending due to some natural disaster or otherwise doesn't quite have the same devastating effect as if you were to say, not die due to some biological clock.

In any case, guess I'll make like the dolphins do in the event of a end of the world scenario and say, thanks for all the fish.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    Ramjet556, Sarachaga, Telnac and 2 others like this.
  9. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

^^ +10 for HGTTG reference

Yakamaru and Telnac like this.
  10. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

It's insane how little we care about sustainability of the planet, despite the clear signs of damage. And, even when people do decide that more preventative action is necessary, it always ends up being too little, too late.

There was a recent study published (science2017.globalchange.gov: Climate Science Special Report: ) by a mixture of US federal agencies, and a couple thousand scientists, which concluded that humans are, by far, the dominant cause of climate change. The report even used the word "unambiguous" when describing how clear it is that we, as humans, are the ones doing the most damage. No one cares enough though, so there will just be a continued higher rate of change in temperatures, and all of the consequences that come with that, I guess.

The title of this thread is clickbaity, but regardless, change to the environment still doesn't sound particularly nice for our well-being.

Yakamaru and BahgDaddy like this.
  11. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

It comes down to good spiritually-well human beings vs a self-destructive psychopathic exploitative cult whose preferences are mutually-exclusive with sustainability, civilization, and respect for nature. Either we, the good, stand up, or they will kill us all with their psychopathy. This is a true and not a bombastic description of what's going on now. Do we let the serial killers kill us all, or do we defend Earth and civilization? There's no room for a nihilistic middle ground, and this issue isn't just about long term equality and justice and liberty, it's actually an existential matter.

BahgDaddy and Telnac like this.
  12. Telnac

Telnac Fundamentalist Heretic

I love your optimism! Yes we do live in an age of wonders. But all technology is a double edged sword. Adavanced medicine can be used to extend life and cure disease but it can also bring pain and suffering that makes the Black Death look like a mild flu. Nuclear technology promised limitless power with no carbon emissions but weapon proliferation and meltdown concerns prevented this technology from delivering on that promise. Instead we have tens of thousands of nuclear cores left over from the Cold War which can be hastily reassembled into enough nuclear weapons to end all complex life on Earth. Advanced rocketry promises to take any paying customer into space and maybe even kickstart colonies on the Moon, Mars or even in the clouds of Venus but this same technology will allow the development of unstoppable kinetic kill weapons that can literally drop mountain sized asteroids onto the Earth like kids dropping rocks onto cars from a highway overpass.

We live in an age of wonders because we have managed to avoid the worst of the horrors... so far. But World War 2 wasn’t that long ago and neither was the Cold War. Both should be a sobering reminder that all it takes to turn an age of wonders into an age of horrors is one evil person willing to commit atrocities and good people who refuse to stand against it.

Open_Mind likes this.
  13. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Anyone who actually read works of Charles Darwin knows it's not how natural selection really works - thing is, it's not really that much about those that are well-adjusted to survive and think smart, but about those who can breed and multiply more quickly or efficiently (which is why there are so many rats and mosquites - horrible at surviving, A+ at f**king). Speaking shortly, it'll be the dumb ones who will thrive, since smarter people are generally horrible at finding partners .u.

Filter, Yakamaru and Sarachaga like this.
  14. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

I can come to terms with the inevitability of my death, but not all the other humans and species we threaten to take with us.

15. Telnac

Filter, Yakamaru, Amiir and 1 other person like this.
  16. BahgDaddy

I love that clip.

17. Telnac

Yeah. :p I’m surprised that movie didn’t do better than it did. It’s one of my all time favorites, and yes the intro is by far the best part!

BahgDaddy likes this.
  18. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

that video is terrifying why make me see that.
    why do this to me

BahgDaddy likes this.
  19. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

RIP in peace Earth

4.540.000.000 B.C. - 2017

[​IMG] :'(

Yakamaru likes this.
  20. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

Heh, one of the few certainties I have is that the Earth itself isn't going to go away. That may be cold comfort to an extinct human civilization.

21. Telnac

Don't worry. It’s a comedy not a prophecy!

Yakamaru and Amiir like this.
  22. Kit H. Ruppell

I’m not so sure sometimes.

BahgDaddy and Telnac like this.
  23. Yakamaru

Natural selection is about being able to adapt to your surroundings through any means. Be it through high reproduction, creating and using tools, evolved defensive/offensive traits, body structure, you name it. Species who evolve traits that are good survive. Species that don't die out. We don't have the size or the longevity of an elephant. We don't have the strength of a gorilla. We don't have the speed of a cheetah. We don't have the work capacity of an ant. We don't have defenses like the porcupine, shellfish or the squid. What we DO have, is using tools, weapons and cooperation and teach our young to be better than the previous generation.

Our species evolved the brain, though in some cases I wonder if some people even HAVE a brain. :p

24. BahgDaddy

They do have a brain. Some people are genuinely less intelligent, either through drug/alcohol fetal damage, environmental pollutant damage, inbreeding, etc. Others, for the most part, simply don't live in an environment that fosters higher thinking, in terms of critical analysis and such.

25. Yakamaru

[​IMG]

Telnac likes this.