Worst OS Ever?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by FluffyShutterbug, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM.

1. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

Here's another rant that I'd like to hear. What do you fellas think the worst operating system ever is? My vote goes to Windows ME, because not only was it super unstable and crash-prone, it was also a cynical attempt to cash in on the fears surrounding y2k. What do you guys think?

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Going to have to go with Windows Vista or Windows 8. For Vista: Whomever came up with the idea of an OS eating nearly 2GB of RAM should be forced to scrape their balls on 1.609km(see what I did there? :3) of sandpaper. And yes, I have a laptop with Vista on it. 4GB RAM total, and what does the OS take? 1.6GB.

Windows 8 was designed for handheld devices, for fucks sake, Microsoft! You can't force desktops 'n shit together and use the same OS! Also, the start menu 'n shit looks like it was made by a child.

Windows 10's not that better, but it at least seem to have a customizable start-menu.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  3. FluffyShutterbug

Ha! I completely forgot that Vista even existed! :D I only had a little bit of experience with Vista, and said computer wasn't even mine. As for Windows 8... I hate it with a burning passion. Not only did they come up with so many changes just for the sake of change, my damned computer would always so stuff that I didn't even want it to do! For instance, if I left the cursor over a link, it would automatically click it for some reason.

Yakamaru likes this.
  4. Fusby

Fusby New Member

Windows ME was horrid. No other OS has given me nearly as much of a problem.

5. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

i was always late to the brand-spankin'-new OS game so i always knew if things were shit before upgrading or getting new hardware (with OS preloaded). My only bad experience was with a friend's PC with Vista, upgraded from WinME. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. That poor poor pooooor bastard.

i remember Win2K had that problem. if you had your desktop set to "display as a webpage", there was this bizarre issue where clicking icons would register like a right-click and hovering your mouse would left-click automatically. My mom's PC had that option set by default right out of the box for some reason and i had to figure out how to disable it. For Win8 the issue has to do with touch screen controls but hell if i remember what the issue was with Win2K.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM
  6. Wristan

Wristan New Member

I think personally the worst two OS that I have ever came across was, Windows ME and Windows Vista. I've had a lot of Co-workers come to me with Windows Vista stating, "My computer is really slow." Most of the time they ended up buying a computer with the bare minimum for running Vista and all the gadgets that Vista had didn't help. After disabling a bunch of unnecessary window gadgets, cleaning off a ton of malware and sticking more ram in their PC they were shocked in how much of an improvement it made.

As for Windows ME I heard back in the early days when it was still new that it could damage your HDD over time. I never did find out if these was fact or not, but around that time of hearing that our HDD happened to fail on us. I was only around 12 at the time of this and didn't know as much as I know now, but I that's long pass. As much as I dislike Windows 10 I like it more over Windows 8/8.1 and using Classic Shell to give me a normal start button like Windows 7 really makes me forget I using Windows 10 most of the time.

Other windows that were more worrisome to use back in the day were Windows 95/98 being notorious for crashing and losing progress on important work in word docs and other important programs. It still can happen, but not as bad as back then.

7. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

I think for me, Windows ME was the worst OS I ever used.
    Purely on the basis that it;
    • Was constantly writing to the drive, regardless of if it was idle.
    • Was slow to load
    • Would randomly switch from the default desktop background to "about:home" as an Active Desktop (maybe that was just my machine)
    • Was woefully bad.
    Switched it to XP a few months later and never regretted it since.
    Though currently using a mix of XP, 7 and 10.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox This is what the fandom did to me!

Have to agree, even downgrading was an upgrade form that horrid POS.

9. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Stupid batto

BolgenOS, hands down.
    Long story short: there was a Russian teenager named Denis Popov, and for one of his school projects, being a moron he is, he basically took Ubuntu, changed some names, added some cosmetic tweaks and presented it as his own operating system that he developed from the ground up (and he presented that as, no less, "FUNDAMENTALLY NEW, REVOLUTIONARY OPERATING SYSTEM"). Teachers, never seeing actual Ubuntu (and being morons they are), were amazed by that "strike of genius" an decided to hype the kid up, so he appeared in regional news as some kind of child prodigy. At that point, actual Linux enthusiasts caught up with the story and were, like, "What the hell, lol", so it was quickly debunked, Popov had to issue a public apology, and everything was normal again. So, that was the story of the most pointless operating system in history of human race.

And speaking of pointless OCs, runners-up are Windows CE and Windows RT. First one was a heavily watered down version of pre-XP Windows for mobile devices of the past that couldn't run actual Windows programs and, in general, could barely do anything and had little to no apps compared to both Palm PDAs and its own "spin-offs"/contemporaries (in form of Windows Mobile). Second one was a heavily watered down version of Windows 8 that didn't run actual Windows programs and, in general, could barely do anything and had little to no apps compared to both Android and iOS. History repeats itself, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM
  10. FluffyShutterbug

Well... I was more asking about bad OS's. Not so much about the pointless ones. I liked your history lesson, though. That kid is LUCKY that Linux is an open-source code and therefore couldn't have the pants sued off of him. :)

11. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Stupid batto

Oh, sorry about that! Well, if "worst" ones, then, again, Windows CE and Windows RT - in my opinion, there's nothing worse than an operating system that can't be used for anything at all :D

12. FluffyShutterbug

Heh... Considering how I couldn't even tell you what devices ran CE. :D

13. FluffyShutterbug

Ha! Sounds like something that my fave comedian, George Carlin would've said! :D And, yes. I'm actually aware that 1.6 Km is equal to 1 mile. (I HATE the Imperial System, btw, but that's a rant for another time, in another place.)

14. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Stupid batto

Here's an entertaining review on one of CE devices from popular british tech dude, you'll probably enjoy that :b

15. FluffyShutterbug

Heh... He mentioned Dial-Up... I actually remember the horrors of Dial-Up... :eek:

16. Simo

Simo Skunk

Whatever this had, was really bad. I recall, it was the first computer the library in town had:

[​IMG]

17. FluffyShutterbug

What OS did it run?

18. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

19. FluffyShutterbug

Which version? There's multiple versions of OSX, plus you have all of the older "Systems".
    Heh... My first computer ever was an Apple IIGS... Heh... The "bomb" error screen used to scare the crap out of me!

20. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

All of it because I'm a biased person who only has work experience with Macs and they suck