worst virus you have ever gotten on your computer

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by modfox, May 4, 2016.

?

do you have a good anti virus

1. yes

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. i am a dumb person and believe anti virus is useless

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

2. RinkuTheRuffian

RinkuTheRuffian Punished "Venom" Rinku

My antivirus blocked the program that allows me to project my screen from my laptop with a busted screen to my LG monitor. God dammit.

3. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

I once managed to get a remote access Trojan which someone used to log into my PayPal. I ended up just DBAN'ing the whole machine and now use two-factor authentication all over the place.

4. Prometheus_Fox

Prometheus_Fox Fire Thief

Cryptolocker technically isn't a virus

5. Winslow

Winslow Comic relief

I somehow managed to get a trojan virus once which completely wrecked my last PC's hard drive. RIP.

6. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

Don't know the name, but it corrupted the contents of my largest photo folder, my largest video folder and my largest audio folder. I was told that it was likely a ransomware program that Norton stopped before it could leave the ransom note. No other info to share.

7. Ragshada

Ragshada College Student

Never really gotten a virus that destroyed my machine, but I do remember one back in the day that was very nasty. It would take your start button on your computer and have it move away from the pointer. Every time you tried to click it the virus would start to delete the registry from you machine making it into a vegetable.

8. Endless/Nameless

Endless/Nameless Renegade

Internet Explorer

Ramjet556, SveltColt, lajm and 5 others like this.
  9. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

my posting

Endless/Nameless likes this.
  10. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

Omfg that's hilarious. XD

11. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

If it deleted the entire registry and killed the system, how'd you click on it again o_O?

I use Linux on my personal machines and so I haven't ever gotten one, but I got one at work one time.

Best I can figure, it was some zero day JS/AS/WinAPI exploit. Probably the third :V

@modfox Yeah, ransomwear is annoying. Best thing you can do next to formatting with Linux is: don't use IE, install AdBlock (since many/most of these come from ads) and turn auto-updates on, especially for Flash/ActionScript and JS and also Java if you use it in your browser (not recommended).

> Voted No (N/A - using Linux)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  12. Ragshada

Ragshada College Student

That was the point....you couldn't.

13. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

OIC - I must have interpreted your post incorrectly then.

14. TheKC

TheKC O w O,

When I was young, I got a trojan virus. I didn't know how to deal with it, so I asked my brother to fix it. He was the computer guy of the family so I figured he would get it off. He identified what it was, looked up instructions, printed them out, handed me the paper and left. >=/
    I had NO idea what I was doing but fallowed the best I could. I just couldn't find where the last step was, but the computer seemed to be fine after that? o _ o;

The worst I seen though, was on my mom's computer. She was letting my niece and nephew download whatever games they could find onto her computer. She asked us to help because she had pop up ads spamming her computer and the internet seemed to stop working. Chirs (my hub) was looking into it and like, wow. The browser had something replacing google with its own ad covered search page. The enter net was dead. Fire wall could not be activated due to window's own Windows Defender was destroyed. We had to use a flash drive to transfer some scanners to find things, but even those were not working. So mom had to get a new copy of windows and wipe the computer to fix it. We told her never let the kids download games like that again!

15. Apex Fox

Apex Fox Guest

None - pretty damn simple to download files which are clean. Some people don't understand...even without an AV haha

16. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

I had a virus where idiots on youtube were replying to me. Oh wait...

RinkuTheRuffian likes this.
  17. reptile logic

It helps to have grown up with the internet.

18. Ragshada

Ragshada College Student

I had grown up with the internet in its infancy too bad I wasn't there for the start.

19. reptile logic

I was, and stubbornly ignored it for a very long time.

20. Wither

Wither Is honestly confused by life.

I accidentally downloaded a toolbar.
    I have never lived it down.

Honestly, I've never had a virus. I've had to fix many computers with them, though. That's fun.