worst virus you have ever gotten on your computer

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by modfox, May 4, 2016.

?

do you have a good anti virus

1. yes

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. i am a dumb person and believe anti virus is useless

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Osrik

Osrik Member

I have never had a virus on my own computer, but when I used the same computer as the rest of my family years ago there were certainly a few that my parents downloaded.

I think the worst was one that locked them out of the computer, displaying a screen that said the FBI had taken control of their computer and prompting them to send money to an account to unlock it.

Luckily they were smart enough to not pay whoever made the virus, but I think we had to reset that computer to factory specs as a result of the virus.

2. Pillownose

Pillownose New Member

in college I worked for tech support and a girl brought her computer because it was flipping out and we found out she had 300,000 viruses on her computer.

3. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

...Wow.

4. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

i got one of those fake anti-virus programs a few years back; the kind that pretend to be an anti-virus program and pretend to do random alerts on your pc. They disguise themselves as generic Windows bloatware both in appearance and on your system. Of course they offer to "fix" the problem...for a fee. My mom actually fell for it, hook, line and sinker. infected every pc on our home network. My parents' pc, my sister's, my desktop, my laptop, my friend's laptop, etc.
    it took DAYS to recover!!

5. ZacAttackk

ZacAttackk professional procrastinator

When I was 4 (my bedroom used to be a study) my family got a new desktop and it was in my room
    We had Norton 360 antivirus that displayed a tick or a cross next to each and every website result on Google dependant on whether it was malicious or not
    Being very young I thought that the tick meant you had to pay for whatever you were downloading, and the cross was free
    Over the course of 4 years the computer slowly grinded to a halt to the point it took 10 minutes to boot and no program would open

natlegal likes this.
  6. hantt163

hantt163 New Member

great post

SveltColt likes this.
  7. x_eleven

x_eleven Member

My anti-virus is called "Linux". I don't have any Macrosux shitware.

8. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

A chinese ransomware that did a basic encryption on every file on every computer of our network (that was on). Only two computers luckily. We restored most of it.

9. Bloatable

Bloatable Puff-a-yosh

Back when Limewire was popular, my older sister had managed to download a virus that spread like wildfire over our network. Every single one of our computers reported having 12k+ viruses. It got to the point that our ISP pulled the plug on our internet access until we formatted our computers, because they were scared it would spread farther or something.

natlegal likes this.
  10. Somnium

Somnium The Sparklewolf

Antivirus programs are pretty much useless as long as you don't click on virus.exe files and they can get in a way when trying to do certain "activities", so I don't have one installed

11. Simo

Simo Skunk

I had mono in college, and that was really lousy, but my computer never caught it.

12. Yoshimaster96

Yoshimaster96 Active Member

I'm on Linux now, mainly for programming purposes.

13. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

There was a virus on EA's Battlefront where the single player campaign was deleted...oh wait.

14. Iracuse

Iracuse New Member

My cousin managed to get that Metropolitan police virus (despite us living outside of the UK) and blamed it on me, but I haven't had any particularly awful viruses on my computers. (I do get the stupid ones that install all sorts of shitty browser apps, but those are simple to remove)

15. Electro⚡Spectrified

Electro⚡Spectrified Find me on Amino!

I remember when I was 7 years old. My first 10 minutes I was ever on the internet I had spyware on my dad's laptop. This was 8 years ago.

16. hantt163

hantt163 New Member

I've never had a virus. I've had to fix many computers with them

17. PandaWanda

PandaWanda Get in the fursuit Shinji.

Iv dealt with lots of viruses on this computer and I have to be the one to fix it but their was 3 that was a nightmare.

One of those ''Home pages'' viruses snuck into the family computer this week *I didn't know until I got onto chrome* It wouldn't let me change it, it said it was a extension but when I went into extensions It wasn't their. I looked up how to get rid of it and it said to download an anti-virus program *I didn't download it caus it was crap, I stuck with Malware bites* So as the ''computer nerd'' of the family I had to fix it, after I got rid of it my chrome disappeared until IE comes out of the abyss n saved me. So then I re-installed chrome and all of the stuff I had were saved!

Another one I had to deal with was last year in August or October when I downloaded an audio program. A friend recommended me it, after I downloaded it I got a bunch of pop up ads and tabs, it was a nightmare to shut them off until I got my anti-virus out n got rid of it. Until the computer kept refreshing randomly, and I have no idea why it does that. AND IT STILL DOES THAT XD

Last one is when I caused it back in 2005-2009? *I can't remember actually* when I was lil and I had a Windows XP *family comp* I saved lots of pictures most of them were funny anime ones *I was a big anime nerd back in the day* A Virus popped up when I asked my older sister for a song on LimeWire and when I saved lots of pics, it was making the computer slow VERY SLOW. It got so slow that I completely destroyed the computer and it wouldn't turn on, it will blue screen every now and then n freeze on me. The blue screen always scared me when I was a kid, it was like the red ring on the xbox but on a computer.

I have 2-3 Anti-virus programs, I forgot one of them, Norton and Malware bites. I Mainly use Malware because Norton won't open up for me.

18. psychonautic

psychonautic "It's fun to stay alive"

When I was 14 I used to get some form of malware like every week and I could never figure out why. My computer would always recover after a while as if it were a cold. I eventually found out it was from the ads on deviantart and installed adblock. Haven't had a problem since.

The worst was probably the random fork bombs. 50+ IE windows one after another was not fun to say the least

19. Electro⚡Spectrified

Electro⚡Spectrified Find me on Amino!

Well great. As I am working on system restore, checking event logs and BIOS logs, backing up files, and trying to figure out what happened, I got a virus that, I found out a few minutes ago, embedded itself on my computer and deleted every folder, but not shortcut or file for some odd reason, on the desktop!

20. TaylorxxWolfie

TaylorxxWolfie ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!

My grandma's computer once got infected with adware. We kept hearing voices coming out of it even though we didn't have any programs open. Now I'm extra careful with my downloads