worst virus you have ever gotten on your computer

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by modfox, May 4, 2016.

?

do you have a good anti virus

1. yes

38 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. i am a dumb person and believe anti virus is useless

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Welp, the worst virus you can have on your computer is always the one you're not aware of ;)

2. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

So the CIA?

3. PoptartPresident

PoptartPresident A teen chatter box

I'm extremely paranoid about viruses because they only seem to get more and more complicated and dedicated to completely ruining a computer. Meanwhile anti-virus software doesn't really seem to do much according to almost everyone here.

And while I have a Mac that's pretty secure, I still don't ever click links to places I've never been to. If I have to go to a new website, I always check to make sure it doesn't have any sketchy text in the search bar.

Reasoning is that I have very valuable game-creation files, art programs, and school-related work on my computer. It would totally ruin me if my computer were to lose all of that simply because I was careless.

4. Cloudyhue

Cloudyhue Certified Fuzzbutt

Could've been. I'm pretty sure it was on Malwarebytes though.

5. _Hushy

_Hushy Socially uncomfortable, verbally clumsy~

Malwarebytes can flag individual files related to one virus. It's also good at filtering out PUPs. It's very possible to get thousands of "objects" detected, and properly.

6. Cloudyhue

Cloudyhue Certified Fuzzbutt

Ah, thanks for the info.

7. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

This is mildly off topic, but I could really do without all of those "scareware" ads that occasionally hijack the webpage you're viewing. Know what I'm talking about?

8. FluffyShutterbug

I've heard about this... That's pretty friggin' scary. That actually happened to you?

9. modfox

modfox Viking Archer Fox

no

10. FluffyShutterbug

Oh... It's still terrifying, though.

11. FluffyShutterbug

By the way... is AVG Antivirus any good? It's what my PC runs.

12. Wristan

Wristan New Member

I've only ever had one virus(happened when I was 16 so I don't remember the name :p) and I took my computer to Geek Squad. It was a new virus they never seen before, so seeing as it took a bit to remove it and it allowed them to become aware of this new virus, they didn't charge me the 90$ they normally charge for such a service. I remember what it did, it maxed out my CPU usage, it may not have even been a virus and just some sort of malware running in the background and continuously maxing out my CPU 100% of the time. I was not really smart about computer when I was younger, but in the end everything worked out and my computer was fine afterwards, nothing was lost.

13. I actually got a virus once which gave my computer a fake bluescreen when it booted. Want to know how I know it was fake? You could ctrl + alt + del with it up and go into task manager and kill it. Once I got back onto my computer the virus had changed all my browser defaults and installed a bunch of other software. It was so bad I had to take it into a shop to fix it. I was later informed by the guy that fixed it that it had made registry edits as well, but I don't know what else it did.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  14. Meowly555

Meowly555 New Member

any microsoft product...? har har..

15. MrPhox

MrPhox Member

In the early 90s I got "Anti exe.exe" I did not have internet at that time, the virus came from sharing of a program on floppy discs.

The one who "share" those disc told us that it was not from them. well it did not just pop up on my com since i did not have internet.

Now I don't really have any since I have a antivirus and it remove them when it detected them. I don't know what it is, some generic virus and I don't know what it suppose to do.

The "anti exe" prevent windows from booting (win 95 or before) not sure witch one tough.