Writing a book: and I need YOU

Discussion in 'Furry Comics, Books, and Graphic Novels' started by Snailworld, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Snailworld

Snailworld Da Thundershock

Hello people! This is my first post in the forums, but sadly to say, everything will be copied and pasted straight from my original post on the Furry Amino. I'm hoping to receive more exposure from the community on here. I am well aware of the existence of other furry books. I want this to be an informative text and provide insight into the fandom, targeted towards those who are not currently in it. I hope to allow non-furs to reach a better understanding of who we are, and what the fandom means to us.

As of tonight, I've decided that I wanted to work on a comprehensive project. Something I think is much needed for both furs and non-furs. I am going to create a nonfiction book about furries. Everything about furries. From the art and literature to the Furry Raiders, fursuiting and conventions, terminology, FAQ, debunking social myths, and more. As much as I would love to write a fictional novel depicting my characters, I personally feel as though I NEED to write THIS book. Truthfully, I haven't had the inspiration or motivation to write for a VERY long time. But after so many recent encounters with furry-hating assholes, I feel as though this book will have some greater purpose than just a way for me to let off steam. Obviously I will need to do tons of research! I have been a member of the fandom for approximately 8 years now, before I even knew I was IN the fandom. I may have all those years of experience but it was only with the art and literature aspect of the community. I hadn't shown much interest to fursuiting until the past year. I've done extensive research on suit creation and such, but I'm still not in the loop of, for example, famous figures in the fandom. Plus I have not yet been to a convention or owned a fursuit but I will DEFINITELY have those experiences before this book is published, because that is something I MUST include.

A work in progress "Table of Contents" to flesh out my topic ideas.
    Foreword

Preface

Introduction

What is a “Furry”?

Furry Media in Pop Culture and Society

Who Exactly are Furries?

The Fandom

Terminology

Creating a Fursona

The Art, Literature, and Culture

Fursuiting

Conventions

Debunking the Myths

AltFurry Groups

Politics in the Fandom

Relation to the LGBTQ Community

A Safe Haven from Bullying

Our Contributions

Conclusion

Now, with that being said, I am going to need lots of help, from the community of course!

-ideas and suggestions of WHAT to write about

-personal experiences and testimonies: I need real stories from your life as a furry, and what it means to you.

I ALSO would like insight on the personal lives of furries. If you're not comfortable with sharing any of that, you don't have to. But for those who ARE, I welcome it. I want to know what its like to be in a relationship with another furry, I want to know what types of careers you have and the kind of person you aspire to be. I want coming out stories from people who have told their friends and family. I want stories from the LGBTQ community, as they are very prominent in the fandom. (I have MANY LGBTQ+ friends but none of which I know are furries :''> ) Maybe your first thoughts of furries before becoming one? Do you see it as a hobby or a lifestyle? Write a little bio about yourself- what type of music do you listen to? What type of activities do you enjoy doing? Let's show the world the DIVERSITY of the furry fandom. This is where everyone's unique creativity can truly shine.

Anything, really. My book will need the truth and only the truth.

From the brightest parts of the fandom to the darkest (I don't want to go in DEPTH about fetishes though, for the sake of a public audience, and that its my personal opinion that fetishes should be kept within the home).

I also hope to reach out to some YouTubers and fursuit creators, when possible, if possible.

You can say a sentence, or you can make an essay. Hell, you don't have to say anything at all. But if you do want to contribute to this, send stories, pictures, etc!

It is also my wish to include art and literature from the fandom as prime examples of what we DO. That probably won't be needed until latee on though. There's so much art, so I'll save that for last, after all the writing. I want to know what to add and WHEN to add it before and during writing. It will help me write as hearing about everyone's experiences will most likely influence my writing!

Thank you so much if you took the time to read this and thank you even more if you're considering helping me with this project either now or in the near future. I do hope to have this book published (self published maybe idk) within 2018, so long as I don't lose sight of my goal. But this is one passion I cannot afford to hide from the world any longer.

I hope this gets at least some recognition, because I'm serious about this. The world needs something like this. And while it might not stop the all haters, I'm hoping it may derail at least a few.

Thank you for your time!