Your First Fursuit

Discussion in 'Fursuiting & Costuming' started by CoolCoolSkies, Mar 18, 2017.

1. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

This is mainly for those who made their own, and being that I plan on making a dragon cosplay/suit some day soon, I would love to see what I'm in for ahha

So ya, show me your first creation! Also, any stories about your creation (what went right, what went wrong) would also be great to hear!

2. HallowQueen

HallowQueen Candy is dandy~

i have made a good amount of suits, but my own personal suit is brand new and oooohhhh the body padding nightmare i've gotten myself into, haha
    i'm making a "spook" character of mine called Shudder. while she technically isn't done, the adventure has been so cool
    Shudder is the most extreme padded suit i have ever made
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    so much can go wrong when translating a beloved character from 2D to 3D and the slowness can be grueling! my advice is to take it slow, short cuts can be tempting, but DON'T DO IT. this baby is much closer to done than this, in fact the head is done and she will be ready for video and her first outing within this next month... i gotta take more pictures and videos, haha

Martin2W likes this.
  3. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Wow she looks wonderful! Good work! As a fan of spooky things, I can't wait to see her done!

4. HallowQueen

HallowQueen Candy is dandy~

thank you, darling! spooky is the best <3
    can i see the design you plan to make?

5. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

this was the first one i made, i do plan on fixing a lot with her soon since she is quite outdated. this was the first picture of the head i took of her. 1405039918.wolfiewear_2013-07-17_13.19.29.jpg

6. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Her name is Shinonome from Wakfu, and there are like, ZERO reference pictures XD it's mostly guess work. Maybe I'll draw up a sketch soon just for a cohesive thought

Oh how cute! I love that coloration, it's so unique *3*

7. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

First try from last year
    [​IMG][​IMG] The pic taken in my room was right before I added the neck

Gearing up to remake the head later this year because I draw the char differently now and want a head that matches properly, that and I can name at least 5 beginners mistakes that I can totally fix a second run around.

8. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Hey! Not that bad for a first go! What were the mistakes you made the first time around? Any help I can get on the subject would help!

9. Andromedahl

1. Did not use a Henson stitch on my fleece, which makes all those seams reallllyyy noticeable; Really easy one to learn, make sure you kno how to use it just in case fleecework comes up.
    2. I messed up on
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Looks alright in the front, gets fucky at any other angle as I didn't provide enough
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This makes the back of the head look unnatural.
    4. Using the image from 3, the suit has a moving jaw, but the smile looks off af from the side in neutral position. gonna stick with static next time to just focus on making something that looks right in all angles.
    [​IMG]
    5. Still using 3's image along with part of 2, the neck doesn't fit right/ is too noticibly baggy which I hope to fix the second time around by working on tapering that shit more and not being scared of making it narrower.
    6. The base for the hair is wrong, but that's something for me to gripe about when not handling my own char's shit right.
    7. Inconsistent shave job; Went bareblade for the finishing touches but my hands weren't the most steady thing in the universe. Go gentle and be slow.

Essentially, I made a head that looks fine from the front but looks odd at anything beyond a slight quarter turn view.

EDIT: forgot to mention for number 7, when shaving fur, try to get steel guards for your clipper, not plastic ones; Plastic guards can warp easier and lead to 'streaks' in your fur when shaving.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Thank you so much for that!

11. Andromedahl

no problemo, happy building~

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox I'm Delightfully Awkward :3

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I know, it's a bit ruff, but it was a labor of love.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. Andromedahl

Boomer is eco friendly as he is recyclable.

14. Kipekee Reddington

Kipekee Reddington All American Flying Foxdog

Beautiful XD

15. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox I'm Delightfully Awkward :3

But think of all the innocent trees that gave up their life for this endeavour, they will not be forgotten.

16. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Amazing XD

17. Doodle Bunny

Doodle Bunny Artsy rabbit of adventure!

I'd like to try making a fursuit sometime.

Though, I don't think I'll do this sona my first try. I want to start with less expensive materials until I know what I'm doing.

18. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

This suit, Cutter Cat, I made over six years ago and he is still hanging in there. I'm not so good on sewing, so I did all the foam work (with a little critique from a friend) and I designed and cut out the patterns myself. I furred up the head and foot paws myself. I had a couple of friends do the sewing work. I had another friend help with the casting of the teeth. I could have done some things better. Maybe a fan and some work on the jaw. The zipper is in the front and is totally hidden. I designed a cloth flap for the zipper, leaving a bit of fur hanging over, enough to cover the zipper. I had velcro on the other side. Now all I have to do is zip it up, flip the flap over and smooth it down to the velcro. The head is built on a kick boxing head gear. There is an aluminum framework attached to the head and the teeth are attached with screws and glue. The teeth are resin and are cast from a mold made from real Sabertooth teeth (second generation). The original teeth had worm tracks and cracks that I repaired before my friend retooled a new mold. The jaw is separate and attaches over the top of the head with elastic with my chin resting in a leather tray assembly. I have been told by many that it is one of the most sensitive moving jaws that they have seen. Things I could have done better... I probably would have sewn the head fur together instead of all hot glue. It holds up well, but needs a touch up now and again. The drape around the neck is a little odd looking for my taste and I probably would have put some more distinct markings on the back, notably a shaggy rough across the shoulders and down the spine. I would make the chin tray better as sometimes the jaw slips a little sideways. The tail needs a rework. I was pretty accurate with length, but on a fursuit, it looks a little long. Don't tell anyone, but there is a squeaker in the end of the tail. :rolleyes: Overall, I was very happy with how he came out. He was made to be frumpy and baggy looking. That was what I was going for, anyway. www.furaffinity.net: My, What Big Eyes You Have! by Keefur www.furaffinity.net: The Real and the Unreal Me by Keefur

19. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

Oh! I saw you on the front page! He is certainly very cute! Well done!

20. CoolCoolSkies

CoolCoolSkies New Member

A word of advice:
    When buying foam, abuse the Hell out of JoAnn's coupons XD oh and don't buy your fur from there. Good luck on it when you start it!

Doodle Bunny likes this.