Your most nostalgic smell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigers-on-Unicycles, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Tigers-on-Unicycles National Treasure

Oddly enough, not as weird as the title makes it sound. There's always that one smell. You smell that smell, maybe in passing, maybe while out and about with people, and nostalgia punches you directly in the face. You lapse into a memory coma while your friends look on in concern.

That smell.

Maybe there's more than one. My main nostalgic smell is sunscreen. I automatically associate it with going to the beach as a child -I'm a redhead, so applying sunscreen was practically religious.

So what are your smells?

annethecatdetective likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

The smell of victory.

Scales42 likes this.
  3. Redlinelies

Redlinelies iRawr

I'd probably need some time to think over this one, but plain off the bat I know that fresh night breezes, sometimes with some damp rain smell to it gets to me(If that makes sense, kind of hard to explain).

Years ago when I didn't live alone and had a less good time at home, I'd walk outside in the middle of the night and just take deep breaths and look up at the sky and what not.
    That kind of smell stuck on me, has some sort of significance of hope but at the same time uncertainty, a really odd one, also makes me think back a bit on my younger self and how things were then.

[​IMG]
    It has to be a night breeze though but it could easily just be because of the circumstances it came from, it smells different to me at least.

Tigers-on-Unicycles likes this.
  4. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Pilot in training

Weird, but a certain smell of smoke. In Switzerland in the city, there is a perpetual aftersmell of smoke, given how many people do smoke there. It just reminds me of family, despite how bad it smells.

5. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Pending Deletion

your fear :3

6. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Fishy market smells and certain seafood smells make me think of Japan and early childhood. i can't quite put my finger on it but there's a certain scent inside most Asian food stores, even those without fresh fish that just smell like home. Some lemony clean smells remind me of grade school and just yesterday i caught a whiff of pool chemicals again. i can't swim and therefore avoid pools but the chemy smell of chlorine always gets my nostalgia going. Mmmm, the taste and smell if almost drowning...

7. Experimentonomen

Experimentonomen Lazy Fox

For me its the smell of vintage electronics, like old amplifiers thats been sitting in storage for a long time and then powered back up, releasing a peculiar odor as they warm up.

AustinB and PlusThirtyOne like this.
  8. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Ha. Good luck finding it.

9. Tigers-on-Unicycles

When you smell nostalgic smells, you are huffing the past.

annethecatdetective likes this.
  10. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Logically chaotic and twice as charming

Bacon.

Or diesel/gasoline. I always love those smells. Reminds me of when I gassed Steve, my owner. Living at a farm is rough, yanno. Gotta give them their daily methane doses. Avatar-related.

11. SpiritMachine

SpiritMachine Sky Pirate / Edgelord/ Tentacle Monster

Wet asphault for some reason

It'sBlitz likes this.
  12. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

The smell of jet fuel.

13. Junkerfox

Junkerfox Slowly backing away from this fandom

I've got a few of those. Mainly
    book mold, old electronics, grease and tobacco.

14. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Being a person who grew up going to car shows, although in my later childhood, the smell of gasoline always puts my mind into a beautiful August evening... <3

15. jtrekkie

jtrekkie Feathered

Musty, dust filled carpet reminds me of lazy spring schooldays, the sharp cinnamon of redhots remind me of my grandfather's house. Or the sweet scent of milk replace that I've associated with summer and dogie lambs. It's hard to choose one, but I know there are memories hiding just out of reach, waiting to rush into view at a forgotten scent.

16. Sgt. Kai

Sgt. Kai Sgt. Kai the German Shepherd Police Dog

The smell of napalm in the morning. j/k

For me it's baby powder. One of those smells that is relaxing...

17. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Oh! I almost forgot this one: The smell of chlorine smells like summertime fun.... (Because of swimming pools) ^W^

18. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Baby powder reminds me of sneezing XD

19. SoniatheSquishy

SoniatheSquishy New Member

So, here's probably an interesting take on this one, from someone who has developed anosmia.
    As a little kid, before I lost my sense of scent completely, one of the few things I could smell even back then was Bacon. Not necessarily a good smell, but I associated it with good taste [at least back then, Bacon tastes blegh nowadays]. I can even remember it gradually fading with time till now, where I could hold a pan of Bacon up to my nose and the most I'll notice is the moisture.

Not *exactly* the same thing as OP described but I figured it may be an interesting bit.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Lcs likes this.
  20. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Hell if i know what it is but the smell of my grandparents' house. Specifically the attic where i spent most of my time. it was also my dad's old room so i like to think i'm snorting his childhood.

Another good one is lavender. it's mostly nostalgic but there's an ironic tinge of anxiety in it. When i was going through a hard time of my life, lavender was part of my coping "ritual". ironic because it helped to CALM my anxiety then but now it makes me anxious. i associate my favorite flower with both elation AND dread.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  21. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Burning paper. I used to throw any finished homework I had in a fire every Friday night. Dad's friend owned a plot of wooded area and a bunch of people would come for BBQ and music (for context).

22. Tigers-on-Unicycles

That's really interesting. Does all food taste 'bleh' to you now? I know the sense of taste is tied to the sense of smell to some degree, but not how much.

23. lelapinmort

lelapinmort Fen'harel take you.

This one is kind of hard for me to put in words. I used to have this hanging on my wall of things that belonged to me as an infant. You know, the usual box frame of booties, outfit, pacifier, etc. Well, I remember it distinctly smelling like...I don't know...copper? Sometimes I smell it when I'm playing with button snaps on old clothing, or something similar, and it takes me back.

24. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

The smell of rain. Majority of good and important things in my life happened to be during the rain, so now it's solidified as something that reminds me of good memories.

25. SoniatheSquishy

SoniatheSquishy New Member

A lot of it, yeah, especially meats. Everything gets dumbed down to the basic tastes, sweet/sour/salty/bitter/umami, as well as spicy. Meats just kinda taste like water to me now, with poultry and fish being something of an exception. Makes for some really unhealthy eating habits, since I don't like most sweet foods and a lot of veggies either taste like nothing or they're sweet.