Your thoughts: Are avians furries?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Belatucadros, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Sláinte chugat!

Hi all, this is something that crosses my mind every now and then. Can avians still be concerned furries? I personally love birds, and my main fursona is a bird, but I've heard some people say that they don't think someone with an avian fursona should be considered part of the fandom.

To be honest, I think that's the stupidest thing ever. To me anyways, being a "furry" simply means you like anthropomorphic animals. And that animal doesn't have to be furry at all. Despite this, I still look at all of the fursuits out there and it seems like 90% of them are canines. Sometimes I worry that I will never be accepted as a "true" furry.

Any thoughts are welcome!

2. Kirkzer

Kirkzer Active Member

Hello again, I use to think am I a true furry because I do not like a lot of things or do a lot of things other furries do but now I know I am for sure and do not let any one say otherwise. If you a good person and being in the fandom makes you happy, do not worry what others think.

The fandom needs more avians! I love them and dragons as well. My next fursuit in a very long time will be a combination of the both so yes birds and dragons are "furry" furry is just a name the fandom made so you can find others think the same way as you.

Belatucadros likes this.
  3. MaikeruNezumi

MaikeruNezumi Irritable street rat

At this point in time, "furry" is more of a blanket term and covers a wider array of animals than just those with fur.
    So, I feel like avians can be considered furries.

4. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

I've seen furries with friggin airplane characters, so I'm pretty sure an avian will be fine.

5. Simo

Simo Skunk

Sure, birds are welcome.

(Except owls, among the few predators of us skunks!)

JohnnyLobo and Belatucadros like this.
  6. Augmented Husky

Augmented Husky Mind currently uploaded

I don't see why not

Belatucadros likes this.
  7. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

They're anthros, so they can be easily related to the fandom. I don't usually make such bold statements, but separating things strictly on "furry" and "non-furry" is frankly retarded on many levels - no matter how you approach it, such logic collapses on itself in any case. It was a point of dispute probably 5-10 years or so, but nowadays everybody just kind of accepted it's a dumb idea in the first place, so you'll rarely see people taking it seriously these days - the problem just kind of eliminated itself, just like it happened with now-legendary "can reptiles have boobs" debate.

Belatucadros likes this.
  8. Starbeak

Starbeak Sent from Space, resides on Earth.

:cool:

Avians are Furries. The only non-furs out there are ones who are not furries and show no interest in the fandom.

If you like the fandom, and you call yourself a furry, you can dress up as an alarm clock or a stove and still be a furry. You are a furry because you want to be one not because you NEED a FUR suit.

Emphasis on FUR. .. . Whoever said that Avians are not Furries, need to take a step back and just focus on why they like the fandom instead of what others should do in order to like the fandom.

My thoughts anyway. (=

:cool:

Belatucadros likes this.
  9. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

Well the subterm would probably be featherie (yah weird term) because sub term for scaled sonas are scalies ... otherwise I is le furry

Belatucadros likes this.
  10. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Yeah. They're furries. Scalies, Avians, Insectoids etc. are all subgroups of furries. Scalies, Avians, and Insectoids are still anthro animals, so yes, you're a furry.

11. Bah! You're as a much of a furry as I am.
    Then again.. I'm a shark.. I have no fur..

Simo and Belatucadros like this.
  12. Riley (TGS)

Riley (TGS) A Beak With Eyes Who Draws.

I was always under the impression that the definition of a "furry" character was more or less any type of fauna with humanoid/anthropomorphized traits. It's a bit of a conundrum though, and I think it depends on the person you ask. Personally I chose a bird as my token mascot because, like you, I just love them.

Simo and Belatucadros like this.
  13. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Sláinte chugat!

Love hearing your thoughts guys! Thanks!

AustinB and Simo like this.
  14. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

actually saw a real live furry parrot once. She was awesome. Nuff said.

15. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

If we considered someone not to be a furry solely because of their sona, then we would have almost nobody in the fandom... Yeah. Avians, reptiles, dragons, insects, and any other animal sona can be considered a furry

16. Kipekee Reddington

Kipekee Reddington All American Flying Foxdog

Any anthropomorphic animal to me (not just mammals) are furries. So anthro reptiles, avians, amphibians, fish, etc. I'd count as furries. (Altough technically they don't have fur.)

17. theyre furries in the same way a sapient alien would technically still be a person theyre clearly a different species but theyre similar enough to basically be a part of the group same goes for scalies and well bugs i dont think there subset of the fandom has came up with a name for themselves.

18. Ketren

Ketren Member

Which is more important- being human or being furry? I would say human.