• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fur Affinity Forums

Yastreb
Yastreb
Thanks for the video, very cool footage! Nuclear explosions in space are beautiful, although I think underwater ones can look even cooler, like this.
Yastreb
Yastreb
Back in the 1950s and 60s electronics were not as sophisticated, so they didn't have to worry about EMP much. I wonder how high the detonation would have to be for no EMP. Artificial radiation belts could be avoided by doing the test over one of the magnetic poles.
Zara the Hork-Bajir
Zara the Hork-Bajir
Nice video as well, crazy to think of a torpedo launched nuke, I wonder what kind of ship they imagined to be facing. :p
Zara the Hork-Bajir
Zara the Hork-Bajir
I would think somewhere in MEO (5000 km) altitude would be sufficient to avoid EMP and artificial radiation belts.
Zara the Hork-Bajir
Zara the Hork-Bajir
Though I think it would be especially interesting to detonate one near the surface of the moon or other airless body. The lack of a pressure wave probably wouldn't kick up much regolith but the ionization radiation would probably vaporize it into a low pressure ionized gas. Would probably look like the largest gas discharge tube imaginable.