• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

“The Fandom” Documentary. They need our help!

Recently, Ash Coyote has been producing a documentary about the fandom and needs funding, but twitter has apparently been shadowbanning individuals who have any relation to it. The documentary is in it’s funding stage, with most promotional content being posted to twitter, but because of the ban, it’s increasingly difficult to fund the project. If you want to help donate, the kickstarter is in the link below
Don’t feel ashamed if you are unable or don’t want to donate, just help spread the word!

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
"We as a community".

A

Arvid

I'm not sure as to why Twitter would be banning Users who have any relation to the Project. I'm assuming that everybody who's funding this Project is a Furry but it wouldn't make sense as to why Twitter would be banning these Furries who have relation to the Project as there are plenty of Furry Twitter Accounts and they haven't been banned yet.
In otherwords anti-furries false flagging stuff as usual?
Well, it would make sense I guess. A lot of Anti-Furries will probably do everything they can to halt this Project.

Oddly the "Yiff! The Musical" remake fundraiser is still ok on there lol
Thats a thing?
"We as a community".
?
In otherwords anti-furries false flagging stuff as usual?
Perhaps.
I'm not sure as to why Twitter would be banning Users who have any relation to the Project. I'm assuming that everybody who's funding this Project is a Furry but it wouldn't make sense as to why Twitter would be banning these Furries who have relation to the Project as there are plenty of Furry Twitter Accounts and they haven't been banned yet.

Well, it would make sense I guess. A lot of Anti-Furries will probably do everything they can to halt this Project.
There’s been several tweets and posts claiming to have been banned, even a youtube video on the matter

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
I would contribute depending on what kind of documentary it's going to be, but as far as furry docufilms go, it's almost always either coverage of the same fursuit/cosplay clique, or some sort of dragged out pandering to furry audience. Honestly, I just don't trust much on furries making a good furry documentary, for a wide variety of reasons - the fact that campaign is funded by furries and has a major focus on fursuiting in description gives me red flags about both of categories above.

I would contribute depending on what kind of documentary it's going to be, but as far as furry docufilms go, it's almost always either coverage of the same fursuit/cosplay clique, or some sort of dragged out pandering to furry audience. Honestly, I just don't trust much on furries making a good furry documentary, for a wide variety of reasons - the fact that campaign is funded by furries and has a major focus on fursuiting in description gives me red flags about both of categories above.
You have a fair point. I figured i’d atleast try sharing some info about it here. Even if the documentary is fixated on fursuits, it still is someone’s hard work and effort, so I wouldn’t want to see it go to waste

riddles

i really liked the short doco on youtube by fredrik knudsen for this reason. a good portion of it was dedicated to the history of the fandom and it’s many shifts up to the modern day, from a fairly impartial outsider perspective. it was very neat.

M

ManicTherapsid

I picked up Furry Nation on Audible. Figure it might be interesting. It's supposed to be rather comprehensive on fandom history from the reviews Ive seen.

riddles

Hey, I should check it out! Thank you .w.

it’s a good watch!

i’ve considered doing something down the line since my entire degree is based around analysing groups of people, including subcultures (cultural anthropology.) i’ve written enough ethnographies to know i can do it, especially since it’d be participant observation. loooot of academic interview and research skills that would definitely help.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
it’s a good watch!

i’ve considered doing something down the line since my entire degree is based around analysing groups of people, including subcultures (cultural anthropology.) i’ve written enough ethnographies to know i can do it, especially since it’d be participant observation. loooot of academic interview and research skills that would definitely help.
Do it, that'd be a really interesting perspective.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Thats a thing?

?

Perhaps.

There’s been several tweets and posts claiming to have been banned, even a youtube video on the matter
"For this documentary we would like to take an in-depth look at the early history of the fandom and really explore our origins as the first internet subculture. We will focus on the individuals who helped to start our first conventions, meetups and facilitate artistic expression. Then, we will examine where we are headed as a community today. As furries ourselves we would like to show the world what our community is really about!"

It's a phrase you keep hearing over and over again. "We as a community". "We as a community". Sorry, but no. "We as a community" is nothing more than a projection of group think, of some sort of collective motion tried to be applied to a decentralized, unorganized and free demographic.

"We" as a "community" aren't heading anywhere. Although it may be true for some inside a specific community(Discord server, for instance, or people at a con or to some people towards whom it may apply), it's not a statement you can use and apply on the fandom at large. It's creating a false sense of "us" within the fandom from those on the outside looking in, and applies social pressure whether it's intentional or not.

Quite frankly I am against these ideas of "wanting to show people what the fandom really is about". It feels reactionary at best, delusional at worst.

N

Nonamenoname

Why is twitter banning this content?

Because Twitter has become an instrument of the international far-right movement. And I'm not even exaggerating. Twitter is controlled by 4 of the world's largest banks: Goldman Sachs, the World Bank, Rothchild bank, Standard Chartered and Lazard bank. Within Twitter's Board of Directors you can find Robert Zoellick, ex-world bank director, ex-Goldman Sachs employee, deeply linked to the Bush tribe in the republican party. Now, it is not very hard to draw the line that connects those banks to the people who are right now in Trump's cabinet (in particular Wilbur Ross, but also the now defenestrated Steve Banon, the banker who's the current main guy at Breitbart news). And as we may know, the voting base of far-right parties tends to be found in the religious sector of every country's population, and in that regard, it never matters if they're protestant, catholic, jewish or orthodox: none of them like furries.

So, that's why Twitter is banning furries.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Massan Otter

Why is twitter banning this content?

Rather than some grand conspiracy against furries, it's as likely due to the makers' stance on trans rights. That's a battleground on Twitter at present, and spurious reporting of accounts has been a tactic favoured by some of the anti-trans people. There have been a number of cases of people who express pro trans rights or pro LGBT+ opinions finding themselves shadowbanned recently.

riddles

Do it, that'd be a really interesting perspective.

i'm very tempted now. i can see some interesting stuff around social capital, reciprocity, sociology of art and the internet would obviously be quite prominent. perhaps i can cram it in before i start honours next year, we'll see.

Asking 30 grand to make a video about yiff and murrsuits is a bit over the top, methinks.

especially considering this is not necessarily a new doco. type in "furry documentary" on googs or yt and a fair few things pop up. if it was a ground-breaking first, funding makes more sense, but. eeeh

F

foussiremix

I find the documentary a good idea buuuuut it won't really be SPECIAL since every furry documentary is literally the same.
Honestly there is a chance that it causes the opposite of what its trying to archieve.

But ya ,this sounds cool.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Rather than some grand conspiracy against furries, it's as likely due to the makers' stance on trans rights. That's a battleground on Twitter at present, and spurious reporting of accounts has been a tactic favoured by some of the anti-trans people. There have been a number of cases of people who express pro trans rights or pro LGBT+ opinions finding themselves shadowbanned recently.

What a wonderful website is Twitter.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer

Reason 5,769 that I want nothing to do with Twitter.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Because Twitter has become an instrument of the international far-right movement. And I'm not even exaggerating. Twitter is controlled by 4 of the world's largest banks: Goldman Sachs, the World Bank, Rothchild bank, Standard Chartered and Lazard bank. Within Twitter's Board of Directors you can find Robert Zoellick, ex-world bank director, ex-Goldman Sachs employee, deeply linked to the Bush tribe in the republican party. Now, it is not very hard to draw the line that connects those banks to the people who are right now in Trump's cabinet (in particular Wilbur Ross, but also the now defenestrated Steve Banon, the banker who's the current main guy at Breitbart news). And as we may know, the voting base of far-right parties tends to be found in the religious sector of every country's population, and in that regard, it never matters if they're protestant, catholic, jewish or orthodox: none of them like furries.

So, that's why Twitter is banning furries.
Ales Jones called. He wants his 250lbs tinfoil hat back.

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
There seems to be quite a bit about this documentary on Twitter under the #TheFandom tag although the tag is also pulling up the book The Fandom by Anna Day.

I do wonder if there is a group of people on Twitter that may be deliberately flagging people's posts about the documentary because of there perceived/assumptions of the image of the furry fandom.