• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

1 Of The Best "Under The Radar Games" Of All Time!

ChrisDom

tailconcerto1.jpg

Tail Concerto

Now, I don't just like it without giving some reasons!

First of all, This game is for playstation...1 and its actually pretty rare to see. And it wasn't really.....on the radar of gaming, it is a game that near to no one knew about. However, It was the first and probably only game that the demo made me want to buy it (and i did...And lost it after the 100th time beating it >:3), Let's begin!

Gameplay: Its an 3d adventure/action game mostly (I'd say) with solid controls...Like crazy solid. This game had the best controls I've ever experienced and it still does. The gameplay style is extremely cute and you'll be playing for a good 2 weeks if you play it alot. if not, about a month. In each area, you have to capture "the kittens" before moving on but!! The kittens... Are armed!! With bombs, snowballs, etc, tiny little drill machines...<333...By the way...These kittens ARE SMART!!! Its not all kitten katching though! Sometimes, its a puzzle that ACTUALLY MAKES YOU THINK!! ZOMG! Or its a boss fight with the 3 sisters! (3 sisters? what 3 sisters?? Keep reading... <_<) But best of all, all of this stays on the storyline, so it doesn't get very confusing. You have to kinda think how the cutscenes and the gameplay dialog relate). Each "area" will have "target" over it depending all where your going, however, you have to be close enough, aka, in the right part of town, or in the right island field to know where your going, YOU HAVE TO READ AND LISTEN or your screwed. (unless you want to go to each town, talking to each npc cause you were too quick >:3)

Graphics: ok ok ok, the graphics aren't the best!
tcscreen16-1.gif

But, on the playstation...What did? =/ (This character is named "cyan", and the machine he's in, is the standard of the police force"

(SPOILER FREE)
Storyline: Here it comes, The hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee storyline talk. Ok, It has a storyline thats.....Extremely unique, You play as "Waffle" A young dog (Yes dog, it has an all anthro cast of characters! ^^) who is a part of a police force and (if I remember correctly) is after the "black cat gang". Apparently, there was an epic war between the "dog people" and the "cat people" which split the land into floating islands. Waffle is the main character of the game and the only character you control, however another character named "Alicia" is also as much as a main character as Waffle is. Alicia has 2 sisters (Flare and Stare lol) And their names reflect their personalties, The 3 sisters make the "Black cat gang" along with several insanely cute kittens and their crazy cat-based weapons!. (I cant go much deeper...unless you want spoilers >:3). Theres a mysterious character known as "Fool" but is he siding with the dog people or the cat people???...Will the cat people and the dog people live together again??? Who is (Insert character name here) and what is their background?!?! The only way to see? Is to play this FURtasic game (Pictures coming shortly... =/) Oh and If your thinking... "hmmmm! YouTube!!!" Your wrong! *Throws rock cookie at you!* Youtube only has the short anime style cutscenes and no gameplay!! AHAAHAHAHH!!! and you probably won't know what the hell is going on.

Voice Acting: .......its japanese to english. That should be enough info. Next (Its solid english though no, "All your base are belong to us!"

Overall Rating: 9 and a half cookies out of 10 :twisted:

ANY QUESTIONS!!?!!?!!

(All grammar and spelling mistakes are property of my keyboard :evil:)

Foxstar

lol reggin
This isn't under the radar, it's a so so game with anthros. I've been seeing furries whip themselves into a lust fury over it for years.
It has a following back in Japan however.

ChrisDom

Foxstar said:
This isn't under the radar, it's a so so game with anthros. I've been seeing furries whip themselves into a lust fury over it for years.
It has a following back in Japan however.
by under the radar i mean...Un-televised and it was a great game for its time until halo and...*shiver* 3d sonic games like sonic adventure...ew, I was only like...12 and had no idea about furry fandom.

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner
Warpspeed, Socket, and Global Gladiators

Warpspeed is an interesting pseudo-3D space shooter I used to rent all the time as a kid. I forgot what it was called and have been looking for it for years; I recently found a copy, box and all, at the local flea market. :D You are given targets and you can warp to different sectors on a grid to do battle with aliens. The cockpit instruments tell you your position in 3 dimensions and the dogfighting is actually pretty similar to something like Rogue Squadron or Star Fox in All-Range Mode, except sprite-based.

Socket is actually pretty awesome even though it's blatantly obvious it's a Sonic clone. You're some kind of robot bird with a plug for a tail and you need to run through very Sonic-esque racing levels jump kicking other robots to get to the end before your power runs out. It has decent graphics and a catchy soundtrack, level design is a bit sketchy though, I ended up going in circles many times :/ It's a lot of fun though, very colorful and the bosses are cool.

Global Gladiators is a McDonalds game. Seriously. Basically these kids are reading a comic or something and Ronald McDonald shows up and zaps them into the story. The goal of each level is to collect the little 'm's and find Ronald. You have this gun that shoots some kind of yellow goo and you use it to clean up the environment (kill everything). The game is only 4 levels but it's REALLY FUCKING HARD. Everything is out to get you, and the physics require quite a bit of getting used to. Your gun has recoil so you can end up shooting yourself off a cliff if you're not careful. Running requires you to accelerate, so you need some distance to get a good long jump. Your shots also arc downward, so you might need to get too close for comfort to kill an enemy. And there are a lot of enemies. The voices are kind of annoying and there are a lot of generic cartoon sound effects but the music is surprisingly good. Like, I would listen to this stuff for hours as a kid. Damn good music. Some day I might even beat this game. It's got good graphics too, and decent level design.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
"Tactics Ogre"

Due to having a short U.S. run, not as many people played it. Despite a crappy translation, it has a rather interesting story involving Ethnic Cleansings and royal politics. Those who liked Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts would recognize many elements in this game, even characters who make a complete 180 personality wise and manipulation. In fact, it was even made by the same people that did Final Fantasy Tactics.

"Space Channel 5"

This was a rather interesting game. It was basically simon says meets PaRappa the Rapper. I thought it was a pretty good game, despite that the third level gives you seizures. I managed to get Special Edition on PS2 and I loved every second of it, despite that agony of some parts where you have to repeat like 20 steps. D:

Minesweep! Used to play that things for an hour on a custom big-as-possible grid and then hit a spot that was unsolvable. Take a guess? BOOM!

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
There's no such thing as "Under the radar games" these days with the Internet.
There are "Under the Commercial radar" games though. (*cough*Beyond Good & Evil, Psychonauts,Anarchronox*cough*)

Horrorshow

Built for Sin!
Not enough people played Shadow of the Colossus.

Then again, it wasn't meant for everyone.
Does that make it more of a cult classic than 'under the radar' game? D:

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
How bout Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? One of my favorite games of all time, had very high marks with all the critics, and nobody played it >.>

ShagsterP

Digitalpotato said:
"Space Channel 5"

This was a rather interesting game. It was basically simon says meets PaRappa the Raper. I thought it was a pretty good game, despite that the third level gives you seizures. I managed to get Special Edition on PS2 and I loved every second of it, despite that agony of some parts where you have to repeat like 20 steps. D:

Plus random-ass Michael Jackson. Win.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Horrorshow said:
Not enough people played Shadow of the Colossus.

Then again, it wasn't meant for everyone.
Does that make it more of a cult classic than 'under the radar' game? D:

Because overuse of HDR lighting effects combined with a lack of primary colours is most definitely not for everyone. Same with horses and cameras that control like a nightmare.

...not to say that it's bad, just that it would be beter if it didn't have these. It has a very good soundtrack and it's not really anything we've seen before.

Kyouryuu

Shadow of the Colossus' problem is that it emphasized realistic animation for the protagonist over split-second controls. The game is great up until the giant beasts start fighting back. Then the controls just become unresponsive and maddening (but Wander and the horse animate in very plausible ways :p).

Nevertheless, I'll always give it credit for its ambitious design and technical prowess. It clearly was a game that pushed the PS2 to its limits.

As far as my pick? Astro Boy: Omega Factor on the Game Boy Advance. Hugely overlooked game and easily one of the most gorgeous titles on the platform. Even if you don't follow Astro Boy (I don't), you'll like it. The gameplay is something of a cross between Mega Man, a brawling game, with some Gradius-style flying stages thrown in.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
Wario Land for the Virtual Boy *lol*

It was actually a fun game, even in the times of ps2/xbox/gc when I played it.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Kyouryuu said:
Shadow of the Colossus' problem is that it emphasized realistic animation for the protagonist over split-second controls. The game is great up until the giant beasts start fighting back. Then the controls just become unresponsive and maddening (but Wander and the horse animate in very plausible ways :p).

...realistic? how many people do you know run with their arms to their sides? If you do that IRL, you're either going to hit plenty of nearby objects/people or are goign to get stared at like you're the kind of fur from CSI and one-sided media reports.

psion

Thank you for getting the word out, this game might be worth looking up. However... yeah, I might want to double check your review with Metacritic.

Hakar

How about Dwarf Fortress? ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ )

In what other game do you get texts like this?:
"This is an engraving of a dwarf and a leather skirt. The dwarf is raising the leather skirt."

Kyouryuu

Digitalpotato said:
Kyouryuu said:
Shadow of the Colossus' problem is that it emphasized realistic animation for the protagonist over split-second controls.

...realistic?

Let me rephrase that.

SotC is driven by animation timing over gameplay timing. In general, the game doesn't respond to controller input until the character finished their canned animation. The end result is that the character has rather fluid animation ("realistic"), but the controls are less than responsive.

Meliz

gets it stuck between things
Ceceil Felias said:
Meliz said:
"metal warriors" for snes.

just play it. seriously.
I already pre-emptively one-upped you with Gunhazard. Sorry. :<

the cutscenes are cooler, the story is simpler, the action is faster and you just steal suits left and right. and people steal your suit if you leave it in the wrong place. lawl.

and you have a lightsaber, there's a star destroyer in the opening credits and it's made by lucasarts. double lawl and wham.

gun hazard has a claw and some old dude getting shot at. too much text. don't fare too well on me because i tend to slip into a narcoleptic coma if i go for longer than forty five seconds without digitally killing someone.

but seriously, i bet you've played Assault Suits Valken (Cybernator) too, right?

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Kyouryuu said:
SotC is driven by animation timing over gameplay timing. In general, the game doesn't respond to controller input until the character finished their canned animation. The end result is that the character has rather fluid animation ("realistic"), but the controls are less than responsive.

Okay that's much better. SOTC is a good example of "Graphics over gameplay". Sure, it's impressive in its own way but by no means is it worthy of "The Game of the Year 2005". Probably in the top ten, but IMO if we were to include Japanese releases then that title goes to Tales of the Abyss and/or Rogue Galaxy. (Didn't that come out in 2005 in Japan?)

DJDarkViper

The Silent Hunter...
3 Words and 1 number: Earth Defense Force 2017 for x360. Hmm though, maybe its "One of the funnest games no one played" rather than "Under the Radar" but meh.

Also, i played the BALLS out of Tail Concerto on my Playstation Underground demo disk in the "Imports" section. Couldn;t understand a damn thing going on around me, but it was hellafun nonetheless.