• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ilayas

Re: Artist Needed! - Big anime voice actors Chuck Huber, Vic Mignogna and Todd Haber

Um those don't really look like anthro characters to me. They look like generic manga characters with I guess cat ears? While there are some artists here that do specialize in manga/anime style I think you might be better served by going to art communities that focus on that style, and not necessarily furries.

Also it might be better if you tell us what sort of artist you are looking for as far as style goes and what kind of work load you are expecting them to take on. As of right now pretty much all you have told us is you want some one that is willing to work for cheep.

A

Ansitru

Re: Artist Needed! - Big anime voice actors Chuck Huber, Vic Mignogna and Todd Haber

What do you understand under low-to-medium workload?
Because, blunt as it may be: if you call yourself a CEO (I'm not debating that it's rightfully so with the products you have made), wouldn't it be better to first generate a budget to be able to hire an artist instead of saying you can't pay them because of what personally happened to you?

Mind you, I sympathise with what happened and I'm sorry to hear what happened recently, but it's probably in your best interests to either line out what you expect of the artist, or to just get a budget to be able to pay one. Because what you consider to be low-to-medium workload may be perceived as "high workload" for some. Like, say to "just sketch 5 pages" seems like it's not a lot of work, when in fact it's the groundwork for a comic.

Also: why did the previous artist back out? Was the workload too high or did she simply not agree with the back-end pay?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

So when you have to pay for a studio. Do you tell the leasing agency, "well our artist bailed on us, can you cut us a deal on the lease?"

I love excuses made for cheapening the work of artists.

I should go to my landlord and ask him to cut me a deal because X happened. I should go to my power company and say hey, cut me a deal on electricity rates.

Gotta love crowdsourcing :/ I don't care who it is produced by, that person should respect that artists have to pay their bills too.

Second time this week to have to post this.

[yt]R2a8TRSgzZY[/yt]

A

Ansitru

We're generating money but not enough that's why I would personally pay out of pocket.

That is actually a pretty troubling statement seeing as in your first OP you mention that the artist will be paid with the revenues of he comic (via this only, I assume, since nothing else was mentioned).
No revenues, no pay for the artist, which is exactly what back-end pay entails.

Secondly, the drawings you ask for are hardly anthros, so I carefully assume this is not the reason the previous artist broke with you. Mind you, I'm only assuming this, but it is highly possible she cut her losses and just wanted to be nice in declining. Honestly, as it currently is (and I am sorry to put it as harshly): your project seems like it's a lose-lose for any and all artists involved. Payment is uncertain, there is the promise of exposure and the only one actually gaining something from this is the company, which will gain the art for commercial purposes: selling the comic.

I would highly suggest rethinking the entire idea, since if the previous comic isn't generating income as expected, then why should an artist do all the work now, only to not get paid when revenues may be underwhelming?

EDIT: I was about to ask about the workload again, since I saw no clear answer. However, I saw you mentioned doing 100 pages?
That is not "Low-to-intermediate" workload. Unless all they have to do is draw stick-figures, that's a big pile of work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Start a kickstarter fund and ask people to donate and get enough to pay for an artist.
It's very unfair to ask people to work for cheap just because you can't afford to pay rates.

I don't do that with other people around me. I don't go to McDonalds and ask them to cut deals because I can't afford to pay things out of pocket and want a discount on a burger. I don't bug a plumber to cut me a better rate because I have to work out of pocket.

Many businesses start in the hole because they have to pay for employees, taxes and all that.
This is why artists also go to more reliable reps because those people understand they're messing with people's money, and time.

A

Ansitru

Excuses? All I'm asking for is help. If you can, awesome. If you can't, I understand. If I can't pay a certain amount deals can be made. There are tons of people out there who are willing to lend a helping hand. I understand those who work deserve pay. No job, no car, whatever. I've always compensated my help something even if it's just $10. You would not believe the volunteers I get. The connections I have. Huge animation studios, big music composers, the works. There's nothing wrong with helping someone reach their dream.

There's nothing wrong with paying artists what they deserve.
Also: deals can be made: true. I am simply saying that the deal you are proposing is far from interesting for an artist. You seem to mistakingly think that the entire project revolves around you, you and you. Au contraire, mon cher.

You need an artist. You can't do this without an artist. And you won't make yourself popular when you ask for 100 pages for a pittance.
If it's your dream and you NEED to have it done, by all means do learn how to draw it yourself. Or save up to have someone do it for you, instead of "exposure" and back-end pay.

Doing 100 pages with the promise of being paid a share of the revenue, when you yourself have said that the sales on the first book aren't going how they should is not payment.
Doing 100 pages is not "low-to-medium"-workload.

Honestly: compensating for help is great, crowdsourcing and lowballing it because "you have a dream" isn't an excuse. If you have a dream, then that's great.
Artists have dreams too. And practical needs, like paying the bills.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Excuses? All I'm asking for is help. If you can, awesome. If you can't, I understand. If I can't pay a certain amount deals can be made. There are tons of people out there who are willing to lend a helping hand. I understand those who work deserve pay. No job, no car, whatever. I've always compensated my help something even if it's just $10. You would not believe the volunteers I get. The connections I have. Huge animation studios, big music composers, the works. There's nothing wrong with helping someone reach their dream.

So I guess everyone else is bad for not reaching your dream. Funny because artists also have their dream that usually involves being paid fairly for what they do.

Get tired of people saying they're nice but then don't realize they're treating artists like a bunch of assholes when we just ask to be compensated fairly for your dream

I am not "friends" as in I agree with all other artists about varying opinions on politics life and so forth, but I do not like it when people exploit them.

http://faitherinhicks.tumblr.com/post/31002053001/further-adventures-of-life-in-comics

http://conceptart.org/forums/showth...for-or-consider-doing-work-for-free-read-this

[yt]mj5IV23g-fE[/yt]

So let's go on to the other part. I've seen it asked several times in this thread that you specify what constitutes as low level work. That hasn't happened. You should have been able to answer this off the bat as a CEO.

The "exposure" because you have connections is nothing. I've never heard of you until you popped up in this post with what looks like Golddigger Fred Perry ripoff cheetahs. Your connections also mean nothing because I can tell you - if it was about these connections you're touting - you wouldn't have had to advertise - position would be filled ...with people salivating at these "Big name connections".

You'll excuse me for the bluntness but it's not like you're the first person touting these lines, and I highly doubt you're the last - but I don't want to see artists being taken advantage of since your posts talk about me me me me and my dream and less concern about the people you're hiring to help him/her out.

Teal

Squirrel

My dream is to get payed for my art.
But I have other dreams and could use 200+ hours of unpaided work to achieve one of them. So Prince Nai will you give me 200+ hours of hard work for my dream? Don't worry you'll get your name listed once, in tiny letters in the credits.

Last edited:

Teal

Squirrel

I never said people were bad for not helping me reach my dreams. I don't exploit artists. I don't exploit anyone. I simply ask for, help, and they can if they want to. I admit, I need to be more informative in my posts. That is the only things I've learned here. I'm also not taking advantage of anyone. There are plenty of times where I paid artists in full. You're saying I can't sometimes ask for help? I'm not making anyone help me. You people need to put down your emotions and see the truth.
Like how that's an ass-load of work for no pay? Oh wait credit, yeah that will pay for my medication.

Teal

Squirrel

So no one has heard of volunteers? I know some of you would not volunteer. I know others would. I'm working with them, and yes, they're getting compensated. It's not about me, me, me. I never said it was. When you work together you work "together" and not alone.
But why volunteer so much work for something that you've never heard of, and that you've admitted isn't actually selling well?

Teal

Squirrel

Well then she actualy cares about your project.

What I'm asking is, why should we?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Why are you people being rude? I wasn't. I simply asked for help. Did you know I have one artist that has done these works and every time I've tried to pay she doesn't take it?:

Great! What an Angel we should all be like that...but yet she left. So you're stuck in the same situation. I guess that tells me this was a fantastic job to stay on.

I'm being very upfront. It's rude to sit there and tell everyone else who wants a fairly compensated job for your dream they're somehow wrong.

A

Ansitru

Why are you people being rude? I wasn't. I simply asked for help. Did you know I have one artist that has done these works and every time I've tried to pay she doesn't take it?:

A friend is helping me with this series. FREE until the second issue.

Enjoy the pretty art the whole team put together XD

You get what you pay for, in your case "for free".
I'll keep it at that.

And honestly, to address your broken-record statements:

"Plenty of people are willing to help (some for free)." Well that is great, but why should we?
"I know people and have connections!" - Name them, please. I'd like to check out these so-called connections. If they were that enticing, you'd have name-dropped them right away.

A

Ansitru

Who left? THE ONLY ONE that left was the one who was working on volume two of Prince Adventures. All these artists, around the world, Vic and the other big actors, Bruce Faulconer, yes the composer to DBZ BABY! and others are still behind me.

Awesome. So then why do you still need us to work for exposure and a cut of the apparently non-existing profits?
Also: proof please.

A

Ansitru

You're saying I deserve to be treated rudely? Thanks? and I just named a few above.

I didn't say you deserve to be treated rudely, I'm saying that the quality of the art is what you would expect free art to be.
And it's easy to name people. proving is harder.

I'm looking through my finances and it looks like I can spare $50 every two weeks. If that is not good for some it's good for others. That's a fact. Again I just came here for help. Thanks for the long talk. It's awesome :grin:

$50? A week?
Why don't you just start a sweatshop in Africa while you're at it.

I'm especially disgusted (yes, disgusted), by the fact you clearly realize it's not a lot, but trust in the fact that newbie artists will accept it either way.

A

Ansitru

I just told you what I could afford. You could have said, no. That's it but you make a joke like that? Guess what. Someone will take it. Who's left out? You.

Au contraire. I am free to take a job on which will actually help me save some money or focus on personal projects instead of doing sweatshop-work for chump-change.
You're the one who is out of an artist. I have neither gained or lost anything by this.

A

Ansitru

Then leave the conversation. Why are you still here? Go take the job that will help you. That's fine. Didn't say it wasn't. Why are we still talking? Chump-change. Okay, thanks, the unemployment money I'm spending is "chump-change". Thanks, dude.

You are in a position where you are asking for an artist you can't pay and spending money which you now have indicated you can't afford to spend.
Seriously, if you already have "so many artists" willing to help you, go to them instead.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

No one has treated you rudely. I'm sorry if you don't realize as a CEO you're not budgeting properly but that's called being honest with you.

But please post where I told you things like "Fuck off and die" or other actual rude statements.
The worst thing I said, is that I don't appreciate artists being treated like assholes when they simply want fair compensation for a lot of work.

I also said that your characters look like a Fred Perry ripoff (the posted art in this OP) - especially the cheetah characters...which...they kinda do.

Teal

Squirrel

I have some advice for you. Budget the project. Save up money and pay artists for their work.

EDIT: Arshes you ninja'd me.

Teal

Squirrel

They are busy at the moment with coloring and such. There are plenty of artists who will work for almost any amount of money. Why is that bad? That is on them. They can again simply say, no. If you don't want to help please leave. There is someone who will.
Desperate artists who you're are taking advantage of.

A

Ansitru

They are busy at the moment with coloring and such. There are plenty of artists who will work for almost any amount of money. Why is that bad? That is on them. They can again simply say, no. If you don't want to help please leave. There is someone who will.

You're exploitative and revelling in it, which becomes clearer with every response of smug, self-satisfied "Take it or leave it".
I ... Oh wow. I suddenly understand why the last artist decided to quit. YOU need an artist. We DO NOT need YOU.

YOU have a project you want to see come to life. We have our own.
Learn to budget or learn to draw. The choice is yours.

A

Ansitru

Stating facts is not being smug. If you only knew me.

Let's put it this way. Would you SLAVE an ENTIRE WEEK of 9-to-5 over a drawing table for a PITTANCE of $50?
And if you say you would, then I call shenanigans.

Teal

Squirrel

So you are admitting to ripping them off and saying WE are in the wrong?