• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

3 Redundant Excuses

Judge Spear

Ever heard these before? Do they make you think about how little sense they make?

1) "Let it go. She's a girl."
2) "Sorry about that. Such and such is really cool once you get to know them."
3) "You're better than me at least."

I put these here because they don't really piss me off enough to rage, just make me think they will not resolve any future conflicts.

I was at the school today to straighten out my financial aid. I was getting in line and like the tall cumbersome lout I am, I accidently hit the girl's shoe in front of me with my foot. I promptly apologized and said excuse me, but she flipped shit and started cursing me out while hitting me with some school pamphlet. I shoved her away from me as anyone would and told her sharply to calm the Hell down. Then her boyfriend or whoever pushed me away and said she's a girl, just let it go and back the fuck off.
I thought, why would I let her continue to rage on me when I apologized for what I did? More confused than angry, I finished my business and left. Whether I was wrong or not for pushing her is debatable, it's just the logic used to excuse her slightly extreme actions.

After I left the office, someone else (the mad girl's friend I suppose) came up to me and told me she was sorry for what happened after seeing it. It's a windowed area with no door. She said the girl was a nice person if I got to know her.
At that moment, I thought to myself and I know I'm invoking Godwin's Law in a way, this excuse could be used with Adolf Hitler himself and I'm sure some fool did. "Sure he was the mastermind behind the extermination and subjugation of thousands, but he's cool beans when you get to know him!!" Do you see how unrealistic saying such a thing is?

Lastly, I'm with my friends now after that situation and about 30 minutes ago I finished playing this game one of them has called Mushihimesama Futari. Say that 3 times fast.
I play it from time to time and can sometimes manage to get to the last boss with minimal damage and beat her in 2-3 lives. My other friends usually have 4 game overs (8 lives) by stage 3/5. I still don't think I'm good because I still die 3 times before the final myself not including the last boss's punishment and my score is usually shit. But, when I lay out why I'm not a pro like they claim, they resort to "you're still better than me".
One, I don't know how to respond to that without looking arrogant. I hate arrogance.
Two, if I'm bad, and you use your inferior skill (God that sounds prickishly contradicting) to justify some non existent talent within me, that doesn't really prove much. There's a difference between being better than someone and being pro which is why that statement is never used among pros often. They don't really need it no matter who's minutely better than who within their circle of prestige. :I

Anyone else perplexed by at least one of these? Sorry, that was a lot to read.

Dreaming

I've never really heard of any of those before.

Specifically not 1, I've not heard of that one, at least not for years, you dealt with the situation better than I would've though =P (what a lovely boyfriend she has... ). 2, usually does turn out to be true, it's best not to base judgment on someone based on your first interaction with them. Of course, the person making this statement has probably known them for years, so they will use that argument. Nothing really justifies flipping the fuck out and going batshit insane on a random stranger, but it could've been for a number of reasons. 3, oh Jeez, I actually use that one myself all the time. I dunno, it's not so much of a ''You're totes the best'' statement, it's more of a ''I'm not as good as you'' statement.

In any case, they're just compliments or reasoning used in passing. As inane as they may seem, they're not usually meant to offend, they shouldn't be interpreted as such.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
1. I hate the double standard of females being able to hit males, but not the reverse. I've always thought that kind of idea was completely full of shit. I'm not saying that I'm in favor of abuse, because I'm not. Just that if a woman hits a man, he should be able to defend himself.

2. Don't really care about that. I know plenty of people this applies to, myself. Although it doesn't excuse their dickish actions, either.

3. I hate it when I'm nitpicking something I drew, and people say this. I know people are just trying to make me feel better, or admiring my work, but I need to find my problems and improve them. And it almost feels like these people are trying to invalidate my criticisms.

How about "Sorry for the inconvenience" is now used as basically the go-to for any time you want to reject/stop people from doing something, and it's seen as a really nice thing. I see it now on damn near anything. I'd much rather have more specific and friendly signs, like "Sorry! The A/C is broken, we're dying in here too!" rather than "The A/C is broken, sorry for the inconvenience". It sounds SO impersonal and sterile.

Judge Spear

How about "Sorry for the inconvenience" is now used as basically the go-to for any time you want to reject/stop people from doing something, and it's seen as a really nice thing. I see it now on damn near anything. I'd much rather have more specific and friendly signs, like "Sorry! The A/C is broken, we're dying in here too!" rather than "The A/C is broken, sorry for the inconvenience". It sounds SO impersonal and sterile.

Always seemed like a way to stay professional to me. But, it does make them sound like apathetic machines.

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
She did that because you touched her shoe? Even if you had accidently stepped on her foot no one should act like that.

Always seemed like a way to stay professional to me. But, it does make them sound like apathetic machines.

It LOOKS professional, but it's like you said, apathetic and machinated.

Zuckerdachs

A Real Pal
1. I hate the double standard of females being able to hit males, but not the reverse. I've always thought that kind of idea was completely full of shit. I'm not saying that I'm in favor of abuse, because I'm not. Just that if a woman hits a man, he should be able to defend himself.

Initiating violence is never acceptable in my perspective, but self-defense is important. I much prefer tactics to subdue the opponent til the situation can be defused.

Where I do draw the line is people not considering their own strength versus the strength of their opponent. That's where the "not hitting a girl" thing comes into play, I think. People think all women are delicate flowers, which just isn't the case. I'm six feet tall and a hockey goalie, so I can really take a hit, whereas the next girl might be 4'10" and tiny-framed. If I hit someone I'd fully expect them to give me a sold whack in response. If aforementioned tinygirl hit someone, sure, she'd deserve retaliation - but if she's up against a linebacker, yes, he'd certainly be in the wrong if he used his full force against her. That goes just as well for two men fighting.

Then again, that would require people using their heads in a physical altercation, which might be asking a bit much.

Aleu

Deuces
Your wording is confusing. There's no redundancy in there at all, for one. For two you're comparing a random outrage moment with someone who systematically had a group of people killed off. Now if this sort of thing was common with her then fine, whatever. But it was just ONE instance of running into the chick.

I get what you're trying to say and to some point I agree but it was still confusing to read.

13Swords

Sgt. Unfriendly
"she's a girl, just let it go and back the fuck off." ?

Because she is a girl, do not shove her back should she shove you.
Her being a girl is the reason you should not shove her back.

So, her boyfriend is a sexist. That's pretty funny.

Second:
the girl was a nice person if I got to know her.
So, knowing a person makes them nice? I joke, but seriously:

I'd have strong words for the girl in the second paragraph. Knowing a person doesn't make hostile actions excusable. I don't let people you know run rough-shod over me; I put them in their place when they try. I'm kind of known as a jackhole in my family, but the point is held solid. You're absolutely right that what this girl said is in the objective sense STUPID.

3:
when I lay out why I'm not a pro like they claim, they resort to "you're still better than me".
One, I don't know how to respond to that without looking arrogant. I hate arrogance.

I would tell them exactly what you said in the second sentence, but make sure to be nice about it. I mean, they ARE trying to be nice, so I'd feel pretty bad if i hurt them while trying to let them know how they're aggravating me. You don't want to hurt them and you don't want them to aggravate you, so ja.

Am I perplexed by any of these? Well, it IS odd that, in each situation, there is a person who is saying something that doesn't make sense, but assuming they're rational people, it's because they just haven't thought about it too much. If they have thought and those are the conclusions they came up with, THAT perplexes me.

Judge Spear

Your wording is confusing. There's no redundancy in there at all, for one. For two you're comparing a random outrage moment with someone who systematically had a group of people killed off. Now if this sort of thing was common with her then fine, whatever. But it was just ONE instance of running into the chick.

I get what you're trying to say and to some point I agree but it was still confusing to read.

I kind of knew someone was going to say I was comparing my incident to the murder of thousands when in fact that isn't at all what I was doing. I really don't know how to make that anymore clear. I'm saying that the excuse could be used for the WORST of people by anyone who is close to them not that my little issue can even remotely be compared to the holocaust. I can't see where I compared my little ordeal to a travesty of such magnitude and you saying such might really ruffle someone else's feathers making me look worse.

I did however somewhat use the word redundancy incorrectly. It gets the point across fast, but yeah, it's not supposed to be used for things like this. I guess a better word choice would be "repetitive or overused" or something.

Aleu

Deuces
I kind of knew someone was going to say I was comparing my incident to the murder of thousands when in fact that isn't at all what I was doing. I really don't know how to make that anymore clear. I'm saying that the excuse could be used for the WORST of people by anyone who is close to them not that my little issue can even remotely be compared to the holocaust. I can't see where I compared my little ordeal to a travesty of such magnitude and you saying such might really ruffle someone else's feathers making me look worse.

I did however somewhat use the word redundancy incorrectly. It gets the point across fast, but yeah, it's not supposed to be used for things like this. I guess a better word choice would be "repetitive or overused" or something.
At that moment, I thought to myself and I know I'm invoking Godwin's Law in a way, this excuse could be used with Adolf Hitler himself and I'm sure some fool did.

When you use Godwin's Law, that basically means you're comparing whatever to Hitler. Maybe you should just stop using analogies until you actually know what they mean. :/

Judge Spear

When you use Godwin's Law, that basically means you're comparing whatever to Hitler. Maybe you should just stop using analogies until you actually know what they mean. :/

"In a way."

I know I wasn't using it to it's 100% definition. You're really just nitpicking now.