• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

3D art programs?

fenchfletcher

Just another artist
I'm wanting to get into making 3D projects but I'm having some problems.
I am currently using Sculptris to make things, and it works, but it crashes pretty frequently. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or if maybe my computer is the issue (it's an old HP Pavilion G series 2009 laptop with Windows 7).
If the computer is the problem, is there maybe a different F2U program I could use that doesn't bog my CPU as bad? I can't afford a new laptop, so I need something that works with older hardware, and is preferably easy to learn to use.

DirtySmoke

3D Anthro Artist
I am currently using Sculptris to make things, and it works, but it crashes pretty frequently. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or if maybe my computer is the issue (it's an old HP Pavilion G series 2009 laptop with Windows 7).
If the computer is the problem, is there maybe a different F2U program I could use that doesn't bog my CPU as bad? I can't afford a new laptop, so I need something that works with older hardware, and is preferably easy to learn to use.
Can you please tell to me what processor you have in laptop?

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
it is probably the old computer chocking on high poly typology. the only way to work around is to work in low poly. maybe you can sculpt feet and pants in separate files, then paste them back together later?

fenchfletcher

Just another artist
The processor says Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10 GHz

I don't really know what any of that means, but I assume you do since you asked.

DirtySmoke

3D Anthro Artist
The processor says Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10 GHz

I don't really know what any of that means, but I assume you do since you asked.
Your CPU is too old for sculpting, because it's multicore perfomance is bad. But if your CPU in laptop is replaceable you can try to upgrade to Intel Core i5 or i7 (better i7) Sandybridge without bying new laptop. Since processor socket is the same. It's really cheap now (around 30 USD in China). Here possible replacements for your socket CPU-Upgrade: Intel Pentium B950 CPU .

I am using Intel Core i7 2630QM Sandybridge almost 4 years. It works just fine with ZBrush with sculpting. But you need good amount of RAM (at least 8 GB) for that.

Also here some forum links about it:
forums.tomsguide.com: can Pentium b950 upgraded to i5
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/upgrading-my-pentium-b950-to-an-i7-2620m.1416149/

Last edited:

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
maybe check your local libraries for resources, the libraries that have 3d printers usually have 3d modeling software on some of their computers.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
If I were you, I'd check out Blender version 2.79b. Or possibly the last 2.79 "experimental version". Sure it's not the newest 2.8x, but the advantage is that it has quite low requirements.

ZeuzValein

The King of Zebras

The problem is certainly that the computer doesnt have processing speed. Scultris (the free version of Z Brush) has a recommended 4 thread CPU within the last two or three years of an i5 or the last three years of an i7. Plus A lit of the crashing can also be GPU based as if you have too low of ram, your computer switches to virtual ram from your drive which significantly slows the computer down. Are you running at least 8GB of RAM?