• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sketchbook: 3D rendering progress. From start to X.

Kagebi

A little less than a week ago, I submitted this monstrosity of a claymation looking thing.
d8p3rPK.png

After a couple days dedicated to figuring some of the software out, here is where I am at today.
hhO2F5k.png

I still have some obvious flaws, but pretty proud of how far I have come so far.

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
fur always look better with hair cards... but no one ever has time for it, myself included. ╮(╯_╰)╭

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
put multiple planes of polygons, overlaying on model's head (eg. final fantasy hair)
v
import 3~4 hair strand textures with transparency
v
than render

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert

tuxedo_fish

how i mine art?
Just updated my profile with progress on the model I have been working. Just finished sculpting the full body. Can't post it here because its NSFW, but feel free to check it out: Userpage of Arkay3D -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

Man, super nice!

Your form definition is really good, without going too far. And your overall style is really cute.

I do agree with Vinfang in that the balance is a bit off. The center of gravity is sitting pretty far back. Maybe bend the knees a bit to put the center of mass over the paws.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Honestly, you're already better than me at sculpting, and I'm not a newcomer to the 3D. Never could wrap my mind around that sculpting thing, I'm stuck with polygon-by-polygon modeling. Which works perfectly in itself, but it's so slow...

You need a monster rig to render, though.
Oh, I don't know. An i5 from 2013 and a GTX 1060 from 2017 do the job for me, animations included. The more important part of the equation is optimizing the fur itself.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I have a Ryzen 9 3900X (12 Core/24 Thread), a pair of GeForce 1070s and 64GB of RAM. My last picture was complex enough that iRay failed to CPU because of too little VRAM and it still only took an hour to finish. The computer is named Jotunbane because it slays monsters.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I have a Ryzen 9 3900X (12 Core/24 Thread), a pair of GeForce 1070s and 64GB of RAM. My last picture was complex enough that iRay failed to CPU because of too little VRAM and it still only took an hour to finish. The computer is named Jotunbane because it slays monsters.
Holy cow! :eek: It really slays monsters with these specs.

If such a beast can't handle the rendering, then it's a clear indication that iRay itself can't handle fur. For me, with the typical Blender & Cycles combo, such picture with fur as the one you linked would be 3 GB VRAM and 10 minutes at most.
With such rig as yours, it would possibly be under 2-3 minutes.