• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
And it's been rainy and damp here for the last several days, so scavenging for dry kindling may be a tad bit difficult.

But I think we've gone rather far afield here.
Yikes... Indeed, might need to bring some kindling.

Er, um, yes. Back on topic. So, how 'bout them hackers? Real snotholes, ain't they?

rjbartrop

There are in fact people who have paid for the use of FA, and they're the ones who bought ad space. Not just the artists, but the companies who bought Google ads. All purchased so that a certain percentage for the FA userbase would look at them, click on them, and hopefully buy their services. None of which is happening while FA is down. So even if most of the users of FA aren't the actual "customers", it doesn't mean that keeping them happy and using FA isn't important.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I would have gone with "buttholes", buuuut, considering on FA that seems to be the favored opening of the entire body, it might come across as a compliment to the hackers. :p

Serathinian

Looks like something is happening. The usual screen of Fender writing on a piece of paper has just been replaced by a box saying "Image not found" and attempting to go to furaffinity.net redirects you to "d.facdn.net / down"

So my educated guess is that... Well. They did a thing and stuff changed.

Now, be honest. Raise your hand...

How many of you created FA Forums accounts just because of this.

*Raises hand*:(

Even worse: this account is about a smaller, totally unrelated problem, which is not yet completely fixed, and now becomes the very definition of backburner...

As to the issue at hand, anyone know any real hackers, good ones? I.e. the kinda person who knows how to find these holes and how best to exploit them. Not that I mistrust the webmasters' skills and security protocols, but who better to run a realistic audit? It's like the police hiring an ex-burglar as a consultant, in attempting to prevent burglaries. Just my thoughts...

Shotalicious

Sheepish Shota with a Soft Spot for Sugary Sweets
Looks like something is happening. The usual screen of Fender writing on a piece of paper has just been replaced by a box saying "Image not found" and attempting to go to furaffinity.net redirects you to "d.facdn.net / down"

Hm, nothing has changed on my part. I still see the normal thing

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
Not to mention, with so many sites out there, people aren't just going to move to just one. Everyone will split up and go their separate ways. So no matter what site you choose to go to, it will have fewer people than what FA had.

This is actually a really good point. And even though FA is not completely indispensable to the furry fandom, this point certainly speaks to the point of how important it is to the fandom. In one camp you have people who think that FA is the center of everything and that it's the end of the world when it goes down - and in the other camp you have people who think that FA going down for good would be a good thing for the fandom and that "another site" would just pick up the slack and everything would be just tea and crumpets. I honestly think both points of view are pretty disingenuous. The fate of the fandom is certainly not intrinsically tied to FurAffinity, but FA going down would certainly not do the fandom any favors.

A lot of people would go to various different sites rather than congregate in one place, and a lot of users with only a passive interest in the fandom would just shrug it off and probably not participate in the fandom anymore. So yeah, FA going offline wouldn't kill the fandom, but it would certainly wound it pretty deeply.

ShaneKanayo

Meme Master

I still see Fender writing his homo erotic fan fiction starring Shrek and Shadow the Hedgehog.

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy

Huh. I'm not getting that. Could just be on your end.

SGRedAlert

Uh, maybe you should F5. Mine's fine;
Untitled.png

(Edit: Realised I'm dumb. Not everyone has the same time zone. Post still stands, though.
Also, JFC, I posted a link for a reason. Sorry for the page stretch, dur.)

Rabbi-Tom

Hey Neer, remember this and remember this well....

No Boom today, Boom tomorrow, always a boom tomorrow!!

I suspect our Draconic overlord will be seeking out those responsible and saying...

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”

Give em hell Neer.

So like are we all gonna have to help repaint the walls to hide the duct-tape and stuff?

Joking aside I still see Fender as well. Also I learned one of the FA mascots names!

Status
Not open for further replies.