• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaoiMeowmaster

#FiftyFemboys
From what I understand Weasyl is the next best alternative, unless that has changed. If the members of FA are so concerned about having a medium to the point where they rely on it for whatever reason, it's either take the alternative or go without. If I relied on commissions to pay the bills, I'd go with the alternative.
Weasyl is really really dead. I've had more activity on inkbunny since people are regularly on that site for other reasons.

What I'm trying to say is that many of us are using the alternatives. Heck, I made a furry network today, but it's kind of like investing in a lot of stock into different companies. You're still gonna be in a load of shit when the biggest donut goes down.

Bourbon.

This is not about winning anyone over or being condescending for that matter, it's about alternatives. If you rely on your art for an income, would you just go without? I know I wouldn't, gotta eat, gotta pay the bills.
Well I refuse to join Weasyl anyways because I can't create a username that is consistent with the one I use because someone already claimed the name Bourbon and Weasyl doesn't allow alternatives of a username (Bourbon., Bour-bon, etc) and I'm not about to put numbers in my username for use on a site that is primarily dead anyways. I'd rather create a Facebook page for art (which I am currently doing).

Both Weasyl and DA are garbage, IMO.

Waves @Bourbon. <3

PS: Is there anywhere you aren't, @Mr. Fox ?
WHY HELLO

YaoiMeowmaster

#FiftyFemboys
Well I refuse to join Weasyl anyways because I can't create a username that is consistent with the one I use because someone already claimed the name Bourbon and Weasyl doesn't allow alternatives of a username (Bourbon., Bour-bon, etc) and I'm not about to put numbers in my username for use on a site that is primarily dead anyways. I'd rather create a Facebook page for art (which I am currently doing).

WHY HELLO
I actually can second that. I have a facebook page for my art and since reach is hard to achieve, you can share posts with groups and pages to get other people to see it. :D It's also nice to have a public area for both furries and non furries to access. Since I draw humans as well, I have my facebook on my business cards and got a lot of likes from handing them out at cons.

Keira_Lunar

Proffesor Kikinoe
I actually can second that. I have a facebook page for my art and since reach is hard to achieve, you can share posts with groups and pages to get other people to see it. :D It's also nice to have a public area for both furries and non furries to access. Since I draw humans as well, I have my facebook on my business cards and got a lot of likes from handing them out at cons.

i have a face book as well but... since its kinda cluster messy with all the posts from friends and that its not easy to make a post that would stick and could be easy to find and on top of that there are minors using it im to kinky for Face book

Terror-Run

Omfg I forgot Furrific exists lmao.

I think most people do! which is a shame because the actual site is amazing and gets better all the time - but when a submission can be at the frontpage for 20hours and maybe get 8 views - then they got an issue.

I do miss FA though, it's great for dumb drama

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
Just saying(and yes im know im going far of cource abit here) But civilizations havnt been built and survived by endlessly giving excuses like "everyone make mistakes" for endless benefits of doubt. FA isnt at fault for the intrusion but they are at fault for not having measures in place to properly minimize damage, sites nearly as large as FA and larger but earn not even half as much as FA do have systems in place that you can rollback by just hours. so why here are we forced to dig thru 6 days worth of activity that could have been avoided. Nether Money nor the size of FA is the problem here as to why it doesnt have the proper systems in place.
Things do not get better, do not change by not holding people that make mistakes responsible. FA is still with its flaws because this community is in denial of holding people in authority responsible at the cost of members in this community.

Might add this Community is unlikly to have been hit out of hate or someone wanting to see the reations here but simply enjoyment at hurting peoples livelihoods and this particular community makes it bloody easy by the majority of its artists being pretty much centered in just one single place...

Be careful, you might get accused of White Knighting. It's a label that's thrown around here freely.

nyannom1

Well, I'm off to bed, it's 12:16 AM and I seriously need to pull my sleep schedule back together. I get up at 6:30 AM, so this is a pretty bad sleep time, haha.
I'll look at all the comments I've been quoted in tomorrow just to save time, knowing there might be 500+ messages in my inbox in a few hours. So, that being said, goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed thugs fight.

Bourbon.

Well, I'm off to bed, it's 12:16 AM and I seriously need to pull my sleep schedule back together. I get up at 6:30 AM, so this is a pretty bad sleep time, haha.
I'll look at all the comments I've been quoted in tomorrow just to save time, knowing there might be 500+ messages in my inbox in a few hours. So, that being said, goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed thugs fight.
It's 2:19am here.

Sleep is for the weak.

YaoiMeowmaster

#FiftyFemboys
i have a face book as well but... since its kinda cluster messy with all the posts from friends and that its not easy to make a post that would stick and could be easy to find and on top of that there are minors using it im to kinky for Face book
You need to make an actual facebook page instead of a profile, like the ones brands use. It's rough starting out. You can also lock your content to only be available to a certain age group such as 16 or up.

NplusD

People on deviantart are also rather... cheap... when it comes to commissions. Where as on fA I could get 20-30$ for something, on dA people constantly try to haggle for 5-10$ instead.

D

Deleted member 82554

Well if you rely on commissions then you do what you must to pay the bills. But better off alternatives than nothing at all.

That said: let's keep in mind that the FA source code has been stolen (seriously how do you fuck up that badly?). Do you know what that means? Back-end access. This may not just be a simple patch job but scraping FA completely and starting over (and let's be honest, it's needed), which could take weeks.

Bourbon.

Well if you rely on commissions then you do what you must to pay the bills. But better off alternatives than nothing at all.

That said: let's keep in mind that the FA source code has been stolen (seriously how do you fuck up that badly?). Do you know what that means? Back-end access. This may not just be a simple patch job but scraping FA completely and starting over (and let's be honest, it's needed), which could take weeks.
I do rely on commissions, I also know how dead Weasyl is and that it is absolutely not viable for business. Even popular artists who left FA during one of it's many scandals came back to FA because Weasyl is effectively a ghost ship that's been slowly sinking for the last three years.

---Storm---

Artist for hire
If any artists still communicate with clients via FA: don’t do that I don’t feel very sorry for them. This has happened countless times.
That's a nice dream, but in the real world things work differently. If we artists tried to force every customer to only communicate with us via channels outside of FA, we would go out of business.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that FA notes is not a very good platform for this, especially because if FA goes down you can't access older correspondence either, and this is why I have a private Trello board with a card for each commission, and every important detail noted in that card. BUT... Customer relations 101: When you offer a service, you are accommodating your customers' needs and habits first (within reason), and not the other way around. This is the N°1 rule of service providing - they want to give you money, they want to provide your daily bread, so you treat them with respect and flexibility. You don't go around and tell people "don't talk to me about commissions via FA notes" unless you want to lose all your business and build a reputation of being arrogant and inflexible. You can ask them nicely, AFTER they contacted you one way or the other, if they can add you on Skype, or whatever channel you personally prefer.

But people have their own ways, some will want to stick with FA notes, some will want to use Facebook, others would want Skype, Telegram, Whatsapp, Email or pigeons and smoke signals - and you can't force them. And it is already very time consuming and exhausting to keep correspondence with several people at once, and the more channels you fragment your communications to the worse it gets. So generally, to keep everything neat and well organized, it's best to use as few different channels as possible. Chose one, or at worst two channels you respectfully ask your customers to use and if neither works for them let them use notes - just save every important detail from them to some outside place like Trello, Google docs, etc.

So next time you want to educate artists about conducting business, get informed about the basics of customer relations first.

Crestego

I know this might sound like a stupid suggestion... but with the amount of security issues that FA's been having, wouldn't it be a consideration to create another FA of sorts? As in once they've fixed the security for this website and continue to update it, work on creating a sister website with higher and more updated security... then once it's finished, the people at FA can switch over. Starting afresh may be a good option.

Then again, I hadn't started using FA until recently (primarily because I haven't done any artwork in a long while, so I was hoping to get back to the grind on FA and DA). I wouldn't have as much experience with either website as anyone else on here, so I wouldn't be the greatest judge.

D

Deleted member 82554

I do rely on commissions, I also know how dead Weasyl is and that it is absolutely not viable for business. Even popular artists who left FA during one of it's many scandals came back to FA because Weasyl is effectively a ghost ship that's been slowly sinking for the last three years.
I will never understand the hatred toward Weasyl, or many of the other art hosting sites that matter. I mean, sure, where they lack in some areas they make in all the other ones that matter. If more started making use of the next best alternative traffic wouldn't be a problem since artists rely on it for commissions.

Oh well, with FA being down (probably for a long time), I'm glad I don't have to rely on it for an income.

Good luck...

Pied

I know this might sound like a stupid suggestion... but with the amount of security issues that FA's been having, wouldn't it be a consideration to create another FA of sorts? As in once they've fixed the security for this website and continue to update it, work on creating a sister website with higher and more updated security... then once it's finished, the people at FA can switch over. Starting afresh may be a good option.

Then again, I hadn't started using FA until recently (primarily because I haven't done any artwork in a long while, so I was hoping to get back to the grind on FA and DA). I wouldn't have as much experience with either website as anyone else on here, so I wouldn't be the greatest judge.
that's not how servers work

D

Deleted member 82554

I have to agree with this! Weasyl is just crap
Leaving traffic out of the equation, what is it you don't like about it personally? I'm wondering if the staff will work with the community to help better it.

Bourbon.

I will never understand the hatred toward Weasyl, or many of the other art hosting sites that matter. I mean, sure, where they lack in some areas they make in all the other ones that matter. If more started making use of the next best alternative traffic wouldn't be a problem since artists rely on it for commissions.

Oh well, with FA being down (probably for a long time), I'm glad I don't have to rely on it for an income.

Good luck...
It's not hatred for Weasyl, it's just flat-out the truth. The site is dead. No amount of telling people to move to Weasyl is going to resuscitate it. The only time it ever seems to become active is when FA is down or having problems. As soon as FA comes back up, Weasyl dies again. It cannot be a sustainable functional business platform for artists. And a large part of this is due to how they shot themselves in the foot. They stayed in closed beta for like three years, had some scandals regarding note sharing, and have pissed on artists with their strict and ridiculous guidelines for ratings (fully clothed character but you can see a nipple outline? that's adult!!!).

Good luck...
It's often times the toolish self-righteous attitude of the people who act like they're leading some kind of crusade by switching to it. There's also like, no community and what community there is consists of the former in my experience. It's not the site or it's functionality. Granted, it's layout is ugly in my opinion.

Ryu Deacon

Director of Furry Statistics
Be careful, you might get accused of White Knighting. It's a label that's thrown around here freely.
hmm White Knighting? if so then that would pretty much prove my point about this community being in denial, wouldnt it. Im stating what i see, not demanding a exodus, patting dragoneers back, killing authorities or kissing someones shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.