• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coelacanth1938

What a friend of mine who is a bonafide computer expert has to say about this: "Pretty sophisticated attack. Not a Joe down at the coffee shop thing. I can't imagine anyone putting in the work to do it for free. But back in the boot wars there were clubs of hackers working on that stuff. Crazy."

Pied

What a friend of mine who is a bonafide computer expert has to say about this: "Pretty sophisticated attack. Not a Joe down at the coffee shop thing. I can't imagine anyone putting in the work to do it for free. But back in the boot wars there were clubs of hackers working on that stuff. Crazy."
he had the sites source code. This isn't hard stuff.

It's not hatred for Weasyl, it's just flat-out the truth. The site is dead. No amount of telling people to move to Weasyl is going to resuscitate it. The only time it ever seems to become active is when FA is down or having problems. As soon as FA comes back up, Weasyl dies again. It cannot be a sustainable functional business platform for artists. And a large part of this is due to how they shot themselves in the foot. They stayed in closed beta for like three years, had some scandals regarding note sharing, and have pissed on artists with their strict and ridiculous guidelines for ratings (fully clothed character but you can see a nipple outline? that's adult!!!).
YEP. YEP. All of this.

YaoiMeowmaster

#FiftyFemboys
It's often times the toolish self-righteous attitude of the people who act like they're leading some kind of crusade by switching to it. There's also like, no community and what community there is consists of the former in my experience. It's not the site or it's functionality. Granted, it's layout is ugly in my opinion.
Really gotta agree with this. A majority of people who move to Weasyl feel to need to make a big stink and reaction and vehemently announce their hate for furaffinity. I personally liked the way it was set up, but what little community there was was actually just the same people in a closed off circle jerk (Of course FA has their own little circles but at least some people are more friendly)

Like Its kind of that attitude that just gives the site a sort of stank. Same reason why a lot of people stay away from pretentious tumblr, it has that vibe.

Really gotta agree with this. A majority of people who move to Weasyl feel to need to make a big stink and reaction and vehemently announce their hate for furaffinity. I personally liked the way it was set up, but what little community there was was actually just the same people in a closed off circle jerk (Of course FA has their own little circles but at least some people are more friendly)

Like Its kind of that attitude that just gives the site a sort of stank. Same reason why a lot of people stay away from pretentious tumblr, it has that vibe.
Exactly. Furthermore, just because Weasyl doesn't go down doesn't mean it's reliable for business in any way, nobody's there.

Tumblr is uncomfortable, I do have an art blog on there and I post there but it's not really good for commissions. It's hard to keep track of who's who with how easy usernames can change, the messaging system isn't good and nobody has money there anyway. At least in my experience.

RocketExecutiveCypress

Lord of All Plants(In training)
I made an account just to comment here. I only have one thing to say of the upmost importance. This very sentence could forever change the outcome of FA as we know it.

We should feed FA chicken noodle soup until it feels better.

D

Deleted member 82554

It's not hatred for Weasyl, it's just flat-out the truth. The site is dead. No amount of telling people to move to Weasyl is going to resuscitate it. The only time it ever seems to become active is when FA is down or having problems. As soon as FA comes back up, Weasyl dies again. It cannot be a sustainable functional business platform for artists. And a large part of this is due to how they shot themselves in the foot. They stayed in closed beta for like three years, had some scandals regarding note sharing, and have pissed on artists with their strict and ridiculous guidelines for ratings (fully clothed character but you can see a nipple outline? that's adult!!!).
It's often times the toolish self-righteous attitude of the people who act like they're leading some kind of crusade by switching to it. There's also like, no community and what community there is consists of the former in my experience. It's not the site or it's functionality. Granted, it's layout is ugly in my opinion.
Well FA is down and out, probably for a long time, so there is no point in arguing that. If Weasyl is no longer a viable platform, what's the alternative? Where do you think the most traffic will go for the meantime? The people of FA that rely on commissions to make bank have to go somewhere.

YaoiMeowmaster

#FiftyFemboys
Exactly. Furthermore, just because Weasyl doesn't go down doesn't mean it's reliable for business in any way, nobody's there.

Tumblr is uncomfortable, I do have an art blog on there and I post there but it's not really good for commissions. It's hard to keep track of who's who with how easy usernames can change, the messaging system isn't good and nobody has money there anyway. At least in my experience.

Tumblr is the WORST at circlejerking jesus christ. Yup, most of the base is whining 15-17 year olds with no money and underselling their own art anyway.

Still...I got some really good business because of my art tumblr even though it hadn't been updated in months because i had my contact info on there. The client was really sweet and respectful too so even if you abandon it, dont delete. ;) But it was very surprising.

PheagleAdler

It's looking good for FA. Direct links to submissions on t.facdn.net are working. Example
I kept a direct link to everything I've ever submitted, and even my most recent submissions are still intact. I hope that means everyone else's stuff is successfully recovered too.

Direct links are working, I checked my recent downloads from FA. Does that mean the submissions themselves are okay too?

Well FA is down and out, probably for a long time, so there is no point in arguing that. If Weasyl is no longer a viable platform, what's the alternative? Where do you think the most traffic will go for the meantime? The people of FA that rely on commissions to make bank have to go somewhere.
Certainly, but Weasyl is like diggin' out of a dumpster for change. It's FN or Twitter for me when FA is down. I also highly doubt it's gonna be down for a long time.

---Storm---

Artist for hire
Weasyl is pretty good. Actually, it is a thousand times better than FA in many regards, and overall I would give it a way higher score. Weasyl is not bad, the reason people don't use it is that most people don't want to use more than one site of the same type, and since FA already has the masses, everyone comes here. FA has a critical mass, so even if FA were to get ten times worse than it is now, and they started burning people alive and sacrifice babies to Satan people would stay here.

Everyone comes here because everyone else is here so everyone comes here... infinite loop.

What would be really awesome is to take the best from both FA and Weasyl and merge them into one. The best of both. Hey, if I ever become a billionaire I buy both sites and do that. :p HAHA *goes and fills a thousand lottery tickets*

PheagleAdler

I made an account just to comment here. I only have one thing to say of the upmost importance. This very sentence could forever change the outcome of FA as we know it.

We should feed FA chicken noodle soup until it feels better.

I've been through a decent number of FA downtimes and it always seems to come back, if not always punctually.

RocketExecutiveCypress

Lord of All Plants(In training)
I've been through a decent number of FA downtimes and it always seems to come back, if not always punctually.

So have I and I'm still saying feed it chicken soup until it feels better. Stop being a chicken soup hater.

D

Deleted member 82554

FurryNetwork
Ah.

On my own personal note, if it was just another DDoS attack on FA, this wouldn't be an issue. But some fucker out there has the source code and that means back-end access to everything. Passwords, personal information, the works.

They're either gonna have to make some serious back-end changes (which is extremely difficult), or start over again to stop this being a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.