• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaGennie

The situation is very unpleasant and nervous

I have two questions:
1. I hope you plan to appeal to the police to catch the criminals, who organized this attack?
2 and still in a period of the FA work again?

PS. sorry for my not very good english

Odin, the internet is very large. I honestly don't know where the FA servers are, I don't care, but say they are here in the United States. Say that attack came from China. We may never know, the Admin people, the technicians, the IT experts may never know. How can you ask the police to find a criminal who lives half way around the world?

Keira_Lunar

Proffesor Kikinoe
Tay is very reputable. As is Ceres, who is a mod for r/furry. As is a whole lot of official high ranking folk replying to her.

well...ok then so its not truly started up yet sorry when i heard of the user name i was thinking of the singer that found out about it ....my bad

Raynehatori

I feel so blue
Seeing @Bourbon. here makes me happy.

Also this is really crappy, hopefully FA can fix this so that I can get some refs for art I wanna do since I don't have my refs saved on my computer since it's new D:

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
I hope whoever did this is caught and executed or at least jailed for a long time.
Or maybe Dragoneer can use the spirit bomb or a Kamehameha wave

MamaGennie

Yeah, that would be nice. But humans are evil.

Speaking as a human, and not a fur, I don't consider myself to be evil. I've supported, the best ways I've known how, the Fur Community every since I found out about it so many years ago. My best friends are Furs. Why does everyone group everyone in a single group all together?

I have an idea. Why don't we group people as 'People who are EVIL and People who are GOOD?' Then, we don't need to worry about them being 'Human', Fur, Baby Fur, AB/DL or whatever.

Don't buy into the stereotype, and don't help to perpetuate it.

Hassat Hunter

But some fucker out there has the source code and that means back-end access to everything. Passwords, personal information, the works.
Nope, source code != database.
Now if they got the database we probably would be in pain, if they manage to crack it too. Though I find it unlikely that they would manage to do that from the intitial exploit.
They're going to have to start all over again, someone has the source code. That isn't just a simple patch and put FA back online job, the people that have the source will always have access to everything on a software level unless they make some serious back-end changes.
And that too is not how source code works. Yes, they can meticoulsy plough through it for exploits to abuse (which are the ones needing fixing), but that's really it.
They can do everything an admin can do on a software level, including perv at your notes and any sensitive PayPal information you may have mentioned..
Even more of "how does Source code NOT work"... the fearening.
Congrats, you just wasted your time saying artists should do what they already do. The site isn't for storing info, notes, refs etc. It's not for contact. It's to reach clientele. You know, people who PAY you. Sure you can go to a desolate wastelands, but who will finance you there. If you loose 98% of your clientele, would you do as artist. Would that not seriously harm your income.
Everyone keeps giving reasons for artists to leave, but all, ALL, of you keep forgetting one thing... The costumers. And without costumers, no money. How can you all overlook this oh so easy principle?

But no really, just post a YCH on Furaffinity, and then *anywhere* else. See how much $ the difference is in the end-result. Then you might realise why all that you say is pretty stupid.

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
I'd like to go to Inkbunny but...eh I don't get much attention there so for me I'll be on DeviantArt...this sucks because I was just starting to become more active on FurAffinity again. Then this happens >_> Whoever is responsible for this mess is a complete dickbag.
Yeah. Same. I literally just got ready to accept commissions and now this shit happens.

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
Speaking as a human, and not a fur, I don't consider myself to be evil. I've supported, the best ways I've known how, the Fur Community every since I found out about it so many years ago. My best friends are Furs. Why does everyone group everyone in a single group all together?

I have an idea. Why don't we group people as 'People who are EVIL and People who are GOOD?' Then, we don't need to worry about them being 'Human', Fur, Baby Fur, AB/DL or whatever.

Don't buy into the stereotype, and don't help to perpetuate it.
Eveyone in the fandom are humans and furries. Fact

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
I don't understand what's so fun about hacking websites. What happiness does one get from it?

XianFuSheng

Bow to Chaos
Yeah, that would be nice. But humans are evil.
You are Human, by your statement, you too are evil then.

And honestly, every society has it's good and evil, it's not like Furs are spotless either. It's stupid to group all people like that, there are good Humans and there are bad Furs, that is how life is.

Aenorin

i still wonder just how many of us FA users just recently made an account for this forum site just to talk

but then again with FA down what else can we do to communicate its not like we are on a big social chat service like Gamevox , Team speak , Discord , Skype

FA could really use a Discord group I think :3

Soul_Wesson

Typically Lurking for Updates
Honest question though, since I've only recently come back to FA, this is the longest I've seen it down. Is this amount of time normal or...?

It's been down a heck of a lot longer before. A few weeks was the longest I've seen.

ShaneKanayo

Meme Master
Still closed, still closed...Mmmm

Krayne

Ok why the hell are people so worried about their passwords and personal info being stolen??? Come on! This site requires ONE password and basically no personal info whatsoever. So the only thing they get is one pass and basic info that could be false.
There's no bank accounts or credit cards linked to this site. I hate to blame the victim but if you are stupid enough to use the same password here as any other site then you need a serious reality check.
Someone mentioned a password manager program. It has already been said: stupid idea, pointless extra security step that actually makes you less secure. Just write them down on paper and keep that hidden. Yes that can be stolen or copied but it can't be hacked from across the world
Just like steam auth is total and complete bullshit. I'm way more likely to lose my phone than my friggin desktop pc. I downloaded BlueStacks Android emulator for steam auth and only allow it to run for confirmations.

Basically my feeling is that all these extra "security" measures make us less secure and more annoyed. Clearly the people who work for these companies aren't nearly as smart as even your average hacker or they would never have thought of something as shitty as mobile authentication.
Just remember: FA has very little of your personal info so don't worry about that being stolen. Just worry about the time lost not doing commissions. For me it's kind of lucky this happened while I'm away on a trip but most of us aren't.

KazWolf

We need a updates a bit already, atleast one little update. I wanna know if submissions older than 6 - 7 days are all fine (backup correctly), I have panic i lost my ref's

Status
Not open for further replies.