• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorgenQueen

Marlett Wolfborn
Yo, Dragoneer!
I have to ask, is there any way you know how these source codes were spread on the USBs? How they were distributed? And, which convention they were distributed at?

TwistedTeeth

Artist for Hire
@Everyone saying "haha poor ppl who use notes for commissions"

They already said that notes and journals weren't affected. So, nothing was lost there. IDK why y'all are trying to make that a point when it's been said twice now that those things weren't affected.

That being said, this IS a good reason to conduct commission taking outside of fA's notes. Because next time this happens (and there most likely will be a next time) it could possibly take out the notes as well. Google docs or those forms people been using are a good thing to look in to- I know I'm definitely going to look into it myself.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Yo, Dragoneer!
I have to ask, is there any way you know how these source codes were spread on the USBs? How they were distributed? And, which convention they were distributed at?
Somebody got the source code through the ImageTragick exploit (which we patched on May 5th). We assume they put them on flash drives and distributed them out, or left them in public places hoping for them to be found. We don't really have any other information.

On of the BLFC security staffers found the drives and notified and FAU staffer who was at the con, and we were able to get a copy of the contents sent over via Skype to start analyzing.

Iracuse

You'd think people would have better things to do than to target furry sites, but I keep forgetting the type of people who dedicated their lives to hating furries are aggressively stupid and have nothing better to do with themselves.

Hope to see the site back online soon.

masahikoko

They already said that notes and journals weren't affected. So, nothing was lost there. IDK why y'all are trying to make that a point when it's been said twice now that those things weren't affected.

That being said, this IS a good reason to conduct commission taking outside of fA's notes. Because next time this happens (and there most likely will be a next time) it could possibly take out the notes as well. Google docs or those forms people been using are a good thing to look in to- I know I'm definitely going to look into it myself.

It's not so much that they could have been affected. i'm just glad that i have access to my commission details, where as people who dont back them up currently have no access to stuff they'd need to work on things.

OraKitsune

This is a sad news for me, because I've got some friends here who post their own art, fics, animations, etc. only in this site. Hope ya'll restore FA ASAP, because it'd the the tragedy if the site would disappear at all :(

Rythas

Squeaky Angel Durgon
I can totally agree with that because they are maybe fixing some website right now
Here's someone with their head on their shoulders :) I was working on grabbing an adoptable from someone before this happened and noticed that the website was slowing down very quickly. We talked by Note mostly, but we had messaged over Facebook before and finished the adoption there. If any of you guys have a Facebook, it might be worthwhile to find the people you were working with inside furry Facebook groups to finish what you've started (or join those groups so that you have company as this progresses).

Wow... Just wow. You know, I know I shouldn't angry, you had this coming after all, but jeez Dragoneer... I-I don't even have the right words for how f#*%(@ up this is. And because of this, a lot of people are likely to jump ship from it. FA's the Titanic, so you better pray this was hack isn't the iceberg that sinks it!

Traveller800

The sexy mistress of chaos
Wow... Just wow. You know, I know I shouldn't angry, you had this coming after all, but jeez Dragoneer... I-I don't even have the right words for how f#*%(@ up this is. And because of this, a lot of people are likely to jump ship from it. FA's the Titanic, so you better pray this was hack isn't the iceberg that sinks it!
why would he 'deserve' to have his website nuked by 12 year old keyboard warriors?

Bourbon.

That's just fearmongering. FA has gone through worse, including a three-month downtime. FA continues and will continue to be the central hub of furry art because the community is so large and people are loyal.

Iracuse

That's just fearmongering. FA has gone through worse, including a three-month downtime. FA continues and will continue to be the central hub of furry art because the community is so large and people are loyal.
There was a three month downtime? I must've missed out on that one, sounds rather impressive.

Bourbon.

There was a three month downtime? I must've missed out on that one, sounds rather impressive.
It was several years ago when FA was much smaller and easily could have withered away due to it. The site perseveres because it continues to provide what other sites can't.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Your decision to close the site down was swift and appropriate. Here's hoping the damage can be mitigated.

Good luck, guys

Traveller800

The sexy mistress of chaos
It was several years ago when FA was much smaller and easily could have withered away due to it. The site perseveres because it continues to provide what other sites can't.
good art and a friendly accepting community.

b0rnstellar

Makes Eternal Lasting
It really isn't as catastrophic as you set it to be. Just a little breach that can be fixed with some work which, undoubtedly, Neer and his team are putting in to get this solved.

HalouDoval

It doesn't really matter whether or not the notes are affected, if the site cannot be accessed the site cannot be accessed, notes and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.