• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tengu

Good luck to the admins trying to fix this mess, I couldn't imagine having to put up with half the bull they do mm
Hopefully the site comes back up soon, till then I'll just hang out on DA and check the forums for update :Y

---Storm---

Artist for hire
We need a updates a bit already, atleast one little update. I wanna know if submissions older than 6 - 7 days are all fine (backup correctly), I have panic i lost my ref's
They said that anything from before backup is fine, and also, even from after backup not everything was deleted and not all users were affected.

But to be honest, why on Earth would you not have a local backup of your refs if they are so important?

Barka

~Barka~
It's really sad to see how many people have been affected by this. I'm no longer very active in my local furry community, but it seems to have been quite the trouble for those who are. I'm not justifying or taking a side on this attack, it's clearly a horrible thing that's happened. However, I do hope since it happened that they(being those who issued the attack) at least felt it was justified. There is no forgiveness for meaningless cruelty, but you can at least have some form of sympathy for misled views.

---Storm---

Artist for hire
Good luck to the admins trying to fix this mess, I couldn't imagine having to put up with half the bull they do mm
Hopefully the site comes back up soon, till then I'll just hang out on DA and check the forums for update :Y
Took me ten seconds to realize your post is not empty... Why for the sake of Cthulhu would anyone post in center aligned text?! O-o

We need a updates a bit already, atleast one little update. I wanna know if submissions older than 6 - 7 days are all fine (backup correctly), I have panic i lost my ref's

Your files from before 6-7 days should be fine, according to the information provided. Heck, I think I read they're going to be able to restore anything from up to may 15th. Your ref should be just fine.

Also this is garbage, you guys. If anyone wants to chat with me send me some PM's on here or something. ): I can't do commissions now. ugh.

Fordoxia

Ok why the hell are people so worried about their passwords and personal info being stolen??? Come on! This site requires ONE password and basically no personal info whatsoever. So the only thing they get is one pass and basic info that could be false.
There's no bank accounts or credit cards linked to this site. I hate to blame the victim but if you are stupid enough to use the same password here as any other site then you need a serious reality check.
Someone mentioned a password manager program. It has already been said: stupid idea, pointless extra security step that actually makes you less secure. Just write them down on paper and keep that hidden. Yes that can be stolen or copied but it can't be hacked from across the world
Just like steam auth is total and complete bullshit. I'm way more likely to lose my phone than my friggin desktop pc. I downloaded BlueStacks Android emulator for steam auth and only allow it to run for confirmations.

Basically my feeling is that all these extra "security" measures make us less secure and more annoyed. Clearly the people who work for these companies aren't nearly as smart as even your average hacker or they would never have thought of something as shitty as mobile authentication.
Just remember: FA has very little of your personal info so don't worry about that being stolen. Just worry about the time lost not doing commissions. For me it's kind of lucky this happened while I'm away on a trip but most of us aren't.
Password managers (like 1Password) are actually very secure. 256 bit encryption takes billions of years to brute force.

ladykurai

Crazy Cat Lady
This thread has gotten way out of hand. So much whining and complaining going on in here.
How come noone ever applauds the Admins when NOTHING is going wrong?
No everyone always comes out once there is a problem and bashes whoever they can.

Just chill guys. Not like you can do anything else.
And for those whining about commissions etc. just switch to emails already. Much faster, way easier to organize and also safer.
"But I am too young to have an email!!!111!"
Well then I don't know what you're doing on fA anyway.

-edit-
Sorry for posting a non-pissed off opinion.
I forgot forums is where only shittalk belongs.

Last edited:

Barka

~Barka~
Took me ten seconds to realize your post is not empty... Why for the sake of Cthulhu would anyone post in center aligned text?! O-o

I know this wasn't directed at me buuuuuuuuut.. It stands out from the rest of the comments, and looks pretty =3

Hassat Hunter

I doubt people ever will. There are some people who are just snotholes and then there are people who just don't like us because we're nerds opposing to their nerdyness or what ever. It's like the Star-Treks fans not liking the Star Wars fans. We're in the spotlight right now because of twitter posts, a few bouts of drama that happened earlier this month and possibly because of Zootopia. People usually don't ever let other alone. Thats why nerds and geeks avoided the 'jocks' and so forth because people can't just be nice and leave each other alone.
From what appears to me (on Steam) is that most furry-haters are... anime-fans. Which seems mind-dumbingly crazy if you think about it. My own theory is that they try to "blacken" the furry community to make themselves feel better about being insecure about their own fandom. Can't think of any other reason.
Odin, the internet is very large. I honestly don't know where the FA servers are, I don't care, but say they are here in the United States. Say that attack came from China. We may never know, the Admin people, the technicians, the IT experts may never know. How can you ask the police to find a criminal who lives half way around the world?
Because countries have contact and their own police forces? You just formally fill in a request for arrest, then if they agree upon (which is easier if it's in another Western country of course) they arrest the person and send him/her over to the country that requested their transference. It's more common than you think.

KazWolf

They said that anything from before backup is fine, and also, even from after backup not everything was deleted and not all users were affected.

But to be honest, why on Earth would you not have a local backup of your refs if they are so important?

I might accidently deleted it when cleaning some space from hard drive. It must be accident, which i havent noticed

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
From what appears to me (on Steam) is that most furry-haters are... anime-fans. Which seems mind-dumbingly crazy if you think about it. My own theory is that they try to "blacken" the furry community to make themselves feel better about being insecure about their own fandom. Can't think of any other reason.

Because countries have contact and their own police forces? You just formally fill in a request for arrest, then if they agree upon (which is easier if it's in another Western country of course) they arrest the person and send him/her over to the country that requested their transference. It's more common than you think.
Because their massive eyes are threatened by our massive c*cks

Yes but it involves a lot of red tape. Cops hate red tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.