• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassat Hunter

And for those whining about commissions etc. just switch to emails already. Much faster, way easier to organize and also safer.
So, you've got your entire backerslist on e-mail to send them the YCH that's going to make you this week's money?

Wait... probably not eh? Another case of the issue for artists isn't contacts, it's reaching the clientele to buy your product. Can't reach new people with an e-mail, even though new people can reach you by mail.

Victor-933

Professional Retard
How come noone ever applauds the Admins when NOTHING is going wrong?
No everyone always comes out once there is a problem and bashes whoever they can.

Probably because you don't get buttpats for doing the shit you're supposed to do anyway. That's like congratulating random police officers for having not shot any dogs today.

Last edited:

ladykurai

Crazy Cat Lady
Probably because you don't get buttpats for doing the shit you're supposed to do anyway. That's like congratulating random police officers for having not shot any dogs today.

Doesn't mean you should bash them for actually doing their job and working on resolving the problem.

So, you've got your entire backerslist on e-mail to send them the YCH that's going to make you this week's money?

Wait... probably not eh? Another case of the issue for artists isn't contacts, it's reaching the clientele to buy your product. Can't reach new people with an e-mail, even though new people can reach you by mail.

And you're gonna die from not being able to reach your audience for a few days?
Good finance plan you got there.

Lunarmagic

Information Tech. Helping the general public
Has there been any update on the estimated time? I do not wish to read through 30 pages of unread pages.

Hassat Hunter

"And you're gonna die from not being able to reach your audience for a few days?
Good finance plan you got there."
Nope. But it will harm income, the longer the more likely and potentially higher.

And it was mostly about the original suggestions anyway, which was due to Furaffinity being down a few days artists should have gone to other sites like Weasyl. Which have like... 2% the userbase you reach with FA at most. If one would listen to that, yes, they will surely loose their livelihood if furry art was it.
And then those people even proudly stated that was a sound business plan, and sticking to Furaffinity was "dumb" since that's where the money is.

EDIT: Appears the post I quoted is gone now. But yeah, to re-itterate, the point for artists is FA is the biggest source of clientele, and will get exposure your own website or others will not receive. Alternatives aplenty, but all of them result in a severe decrease in income due to much lower reach. That wont change no matter how often people try to co-erce artists to leave FA, or come in here claiming artists relying on FA to make a living are "dumb" and they need to look elsewhere. Going elsewhere isn't going to make you a living, it's going to take it away from you. And for what, a few days downtime?

Mid-Nightshade

Agentxy14

It seems like most of the problems with recovery have been fixed since last night--or later, depending on what time zone this forum follows. That said, there's probably a crapton of code that needs to be scanned through to keep the loopholes closed to ensure this doesn't happen again. Yeah, I wish there was an ETA, too, but stuff like that could generally take some time, or be super quick. No one knows.

Still, I wish they didn't have to do this. Lousy hackers.

b0rnstellar

Makes Eternal Lasting
In the meantime of this outage..

Anyone got any opinions on The Culling? It looks neat but the Steam reviews are putting me off

---Storm---

Artist for hire
This thread has gotten way out of hand. So much whining and complaining going on in here.
[...]
I forgot forums is where only shittalk belongs.
Oh the irony!

The discussion was pretty calm and fine already when you suddenly butted in to shittalk about shittalking. :/

xTwilightStarx

A polished turd.
It seems like most of the problems with recovery have been fixed since last night--or later, depending on what time zone this forum follows. That said, there's probably a crapton of code that needs to be scanned through to keep the loopholes closed to ensure this doesn't happen again. Yeah, I wish there was an ETA, too, but stuff like that could generally take some time, or be super quick. No one knows.

Still, I wish they didn't have to do this. Lousy hackers.
Aye, they've already completed the backup and restored the majority of what went missing.
All they're doing now is revising the code to eliminate any other possible issues, which could take a while considering how ancient it is.

Fordoxia

From what appears to me (on Steam) is that most furry-haters are... anime-fans. Which seems mind-dumbingly crazy if you think about it. My own theory is that they try to "blacken" the furry community to make themselves feel better about being insecure about their own fandom. Can't think of any other reason.

Because countries have contact and their own police forces? You just formally fill in a request for arrest, then if they agree upon (which is easier if it's in another Western country of course) they arrest the person and send him/her over to the country that requested their transference. It's more common than you think.
Try finding out who did it when the guy is in a country on the other side of the world with poor relations with yours, who is operating on a proxy in Sweden; there's basically zero chance of getting caught.

CGP Grey sums it up quite nicely.

Agentxy14

Try finding out who did it when the guy is in a country on the other side of the world with poor relations with yours, who is operating on a proxy in Sweden; there's basically zero chance of getting caught.

An unfortunate fact of life. There's a lot of bullies in the world, but either they're too powerful to fight, or too stealthy to be found. This gives them basically free reign to mess with the people who are weak or who aren't bothering anyone, without problems. And if people get upset, they get stonewalled or ignored.

Aaaaaaanyway, moving along from Depressing Agent Time, I can wait until the FA site is back up. I do hope the fallout wasn't much, but we can clean up the wreckage.

---Storm---

Artist for hire

CGP Grey sums it up quite nicely.
So? We don1t know where the attacker is from, so the police needs to be notified either way. Just because there is a chance he is unreachable it doesn't mean we shouldn't even try.

Hassat Hunter

You'd have a point, if it wasn't distributed on an American con, which makes the responsible people involved extremely likely to be American.
It's not like Eurofurence with the many nationality-pot (and still most being Germans still).

EDIT: Who are you replying to Storm on the first post this page? (Just curious)

ladykurai

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh the irony!

The discussion was pretty calm and fine already when you suddenly butted in to shittalk about shittalking. :/

Maybe I just remembered the bad parts of the 40+ pages prior.

Anyway my point was, the admins ARE doing their job and instead of being ungrateful we should just appreciate them working on it.
Sorry for voicing my opinion in the wrong manner.
Also, the thing about shittalking was edited in after people started doing it so don't blame me for that please. I did neither intend to start shit, nor enjoy it. All it does is ruin a bunch of people's mood and nobody wants that. :)

And the twitter widget works for me, I see the tweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.