• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

5/17 Site Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pace VanRign

"Deathkicking Chyena"
Yeah...this is...rough on me as an artist. I'm chomping at the bit, here. I had an auction, a kiriban going, and...just...yeah, this is rough. I work from home, and this is my primary source of income at the moment.

Rainbowdragon

Hungry dragon
Just adding my two cents here, I hardly use the forums but I'm using them now, lately FA has improved. Yes the source code is still ancient if those other coders are right. However, it's easy on older or crappier systems (my wii U which doesn't have a good internet browser loads up FA quickly, where it errors out or even freezes on sites like DA or weasyl), the admins seem to jump on errors more quickly now (they DID fix the exploit, late but they fixed it plus downloading the source code onto flash drives? that's a tad over the top isn't it?) all I can see is aside from them still taking too long with updates the site is better overall.

HoneyKing

Art is my primary income too, but everyone needs to relax. The site's been down for a day. Do some other work, make more YCH, design characters to sell. As an artist there is ALWAYS something you can do during downtime. This is not the end of the world, we will get through this. We've gotten through this countless times before.

(Also, if you have commissioners you need to contact to give finished pieces to or ask questions etc etc, use the email that they paid you with via Paypal, duh.)

Serathinian

I had finally finished a story I was writing for FA when I found out the site went down.
That was some awful timing. I'm anxious to upload it.

---Storm---

Artist for hire
Why do any of you think that it is our (artists) choice to communicate via Notes and over FA? It's not. FA is where 99% of the commission scene happens. If you are trying to make a living from art, and not just doing it as a hobby in your free time, then FA is essential and crucial, because it is the only platform to reach out to enough potential customers, build a name and so on.

I can upload something to Weasyl and get 3 views on it in hours, and upload the same to FA and get 300 views in the same amount of time (i actually did upload parallel for a while).

And people WILL contact us through Notes (and comments, and shouts), it isn't our choice either. After that, when contact is established we can ask them to use another channel, be it Skype, email or whatever but FA will always remain the N°1 source of first contacts.

So bashing us claiming that we are doing it wrong by counting on FA is ridiculous and arrogant, and I can't help but to assume is coming from people who are either not selling at all or are selling only as a hobby, and not doing this for a living.

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
Art is my primary income too, but everyone needs to relax. The site's been down for a day. Do some other work, make more YCH, design characters to sell. As an artist there is ALWAYS something you can do during downtime. This is not the end of the world, we will get through this. We've gotten through this countless times before.

(Also, if you have commissioners you need to contact to give finished pieces to or ask questions etc etc, use the email that they paid you with via Paypal, duh.)
Your right! We really don't need to panic. Yes, it sucks, but I guess it gives us more time to draw what we want!

Hassat Hunter

So bashing us claiming that we are doing it wrong by counting on FA is ridiculous and arrogant, and I can't help but to assume is coming from people who are either not selling at all or are selling only as a hobby, and not doing this for a living.
I'm fairly sure it's just ignorant people who when artists say "they need FA" instead of thinking what you and I think they immediately go to 'use notes to exchange contact', 'exchange money through FA' (which isn't even possible) and 'having to look up refsheets on FA' to work, and reach, first contact, PR or selling your product never even reaches their thoughtpattern.

Draghorn

Business Dragon
Completely off-topic:
From what appears to me (on Steam) is that most furry-haters are... anime-fans.
Er, I like both. All the art I follow on DA is either furry style art or anime/manga style art. I guess I'm some kind of weirdo. (wavy noodle arms)

Anyway I would follow more anime/manga art but I don't know any site specifically for anime style art. I know like four furry sites. (including this one)

Anyway, sorry for the OT. That statement I read caught my eye since I'm the exact opposite of that statement. I guess it could be one of those things where not all anime fans are furry haters but most furry haters are anime fans....maybe? o_O

Hassat Hunter

I don't have many issues with anime-fans.
Just an observation from when a furry game was on Steam greenlight and literally 95% of the people posting death-threats, "this is horribly", "you disgusting people" etc... where profound anime-lovers.

yea financially its gonna make you loose maybe one or two buck or maybe nothing there is so many sites to go to when it comes to these matters.
Artists I follow? Their YCH's generally go for $500 or more. Of course they are also the ones actively making a living of the art.

noveltybest

And yes, FA is great for building a client base but really, a couple of days without it is not going to make that big an impact.
yea financially its gonna make you loose maybe one or two buck or maybe nothing there is so many sites to go to when it comes to these matters.

Bannor

freakin' n00b
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Just kiddin'. I appreciate the work 'Neer and the staff are doing to resolve this unfortunate situation. :3

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
Just an observation from when a furry game was on Steam greenlight and literally 95% of the people posting death-threats, "this is horribly", "you disgusting people" etc... where profound anime-lovers.
Why can't all fandoms and groups of people just love each other?

What game was it if you mind me asking? Was it any good?

Keira_Lunar

Proffesor Kikinoe

and yet that furry game like Dust an Elysin tale did ever so well so screw the haters

noveltybest

and that actually happened no way but there can be furry anything why are anime and fur haters acting up because of that I highly doubt it. but I wouldt doubt it if it was taking revenue off their anime games.

Hassat Hunter

Major/Minor
I like it, opinions vary. Most people object to it being a VN (Visual Novel) and thus the game is "too much reading and just making a choice once and now", which kinda is what the genre is all about, like complaining about numbers in RPG's.
But of course, as all stories go, it's really up to the readers taste.

EDIT: With how many anime VN's there are, I doubt a single furry one would be much of a threat, noveltybest.

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!
That would be like asking why there can't be world peace.
Because each person is still a human, furry or not. And we humans have a knack for just not getting along as a whole.
That's true, we don't have to like one another but we should at least accept each other. Lol I sound like a philosopher.

TaylorxxWolfie

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!

Winter.Maelstrom

'cause i'm happy!
Major/Minor
I like it, opinions vary. Most people object to it being a VN (Visual Novel) and thus the game is "too much reading and just making a choice once and now", which kinda is what the genre is all about, like complaining about numbers in RPG's.
But of course, as all stories go, it's really up to the readers taste.

EDIT: With how many anime VN's there are, I doubt a single furry one would be much of a threat, noveltybest.

So I liked what I saw there in the game. But I am confused what it really is. Is it a mystery game? A dating game?

PheagleAdler

They're going to have to start all over again, someone has the source code. That isn't just a simple patch and put FA back online job, the people that have the source will always have access to everything on a software level unless they make some serious back-end changes.

I don't understand why they can't just 'plug the hole' and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.