Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

  1. #1
    Lone Wolf SkelliZelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Species
    Basenji/Hyena hybrid
    Posts
    5
    This
    0
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    My Fiance and i saw a woman who makes the most lovely yarn tails on this site,.and we were wondering how its done^^ they look too beautiful to be yarn!

    does anyone here know how to make a quality yarn tail?

    my fursona has a curly tail,.so i dont think itd be possible to make one for myself,..but id like to make one for my cuz RichFox as a grad gift^^

  2. #2
    Hai Thar. 2,500 Club Riyeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, USA
    Species
    Panwere
    Posts
    2,998
    This
    1,261
    This'd 181 Times in 120 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Well i kind of guessed on how you could make one, since im in the process of making one myself.

    I kind of made a base that I could hot glue the yarn onto it, and then unravelled the pieces of yarn into the smaller bits.
    Someone else also gave me the idea (since the unwound yarn was curly), that I could take a straightening iron and "iron out" the curly in the yarn.

    Hope that helped.. my base is made of glued together walmart plastic bags, since its a flexible material and you can find them any and everywhere.
    Country Music Rap.

  3. #3
    Lone Wolf SkelliZelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Species
    Basenji/Hyena hybrid
    Posts
    5
    This
    0
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Hm,..that seems odd,.what if someone yanked on it and it broke? it seems plastic bags would be a bit,..weak,.


    i might try to make one loong peice of yarn and tie other peices onto it?

  4. #4
    Hai Thar. 2,500 Club Riyeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, USA
    Species
    Panwere
    Posts
    2,998
    This
    1,261
    This'd 181 Times in 120 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkelliZelli View Post
    Hm,..that seems odd,.what if someone yanked on it and it broke? it seems plastic bags would be a bit,..weak,.


    i might try to make one loong peice of yarn and tie other peices onto it?
    Let me give you some more detail.

    Plastic Bags wrapped around small wires for body.. plus for extra stability, its all been glued heavily together (probably more glue than was necessary, but im paranoid).

    Then, duct tape around the plastic bags and some glue in between the small spots where the duct tape doesnt cover it completely.
    Yeah yeah it sounds redneck-ish because of the duct tape, but its a strong material that can hold together most anything.

    Each piece of yarn is glued on in a specific way.
    Lay a line of glue down, push the piece of yarn (cut to size) into the glue. Then I take the glue gun and make sort of a 'seal' with the glue that kind of makes... like a base for the small "hair".

    That way if someone ends up tugging on the yarn, theyre not only tugging on the hair, theyre tugging on the glue thats attached to the duct tape, which is glued to the plastic bags that are attached to the wire that runs all the way up and onto the small belt I plan on crocheting.
    Country Music Rap.

  5. #5
    2,500 Club Bloodshot_Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Species
    Horned lizard
    Posts
    4,152
    This
    956
    This'd 404 Times in 197 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkelliZelli View Post
    My Fiance and i saw a woman who makes the most lovely yarn tails on this site,.and we were wondering how its done^^ they look too beautiful to be yarn!

    does anyone here know how to make a quality yarn tail?

    my fursona has a curly tail,.so i dont think itd be possible to make one for myself,..but id like to make one for my cuz RichFox as a grad gift^^
    Ask Bir, she's the one who makes 'em...
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Tonight you will dream of an anthro fox doing a backflip into his own anus.

  6. #6
    I'M A WINNER Forum Legend Jesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Species
    Alligator
    Posts
    1,054
    This
    35
    This'd 161 Times in 83 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Bir will just tell you to buy one from her. Why would she show someone how to make them when she can just charge them?

    Either way, here's a step by step.
    Last edited by Jesie; 05-31-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged Edge View Post
    Hey...Where'd eversleep go?
    Oh deo c:


  7. #7
    2,500 Club Bloodshot_Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Species
    Horned lizard
    Posts
    4,152
    This
    956
    This'd 404 Times in 197 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesie View Post
    Bir will just tell you to buy one from her. Why would she show someone how to make them when she can just charge them to make one?
    She had a tutorial...
    If I remember correctly, the reason she took it down was because people were complaining that it was crap and flaming her for it or something... >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Tonight you will dream of an anthro fox doing a backflip into his own anus.

  8. #8
    I'M A WINNER Forum Legend Jesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Species
    Alligator
    Posts
    1,054
    This
    35
    This'd 161 Times in 83 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Not my fault the furry fan base are retards...

    Or maybe it really was crap? I don't know. I've never seen the quality of her yarn tails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagged Edge View Post
    Hey...Where'd eversleep go?
    Oh deo c:


  9. #9
    Pseudofunctional Post Crusader Hellivina_Khaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Species
    coskyroo
    Posts
    324
    This
    0
    This'd 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    I would say you should contact Bir on the forums or on the main FA site. She had a mini-tutorial up on for a while.

  10. #10
    Lone Wolf SkelliZelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Species
    Basenji/Hyena hybrid
    Posts
    5
    This
    0
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    wow,.the tutorial is really good^^ and i already crochet regularly (am making a king sized blanket for my husband as a gift) i really would ask her,.i would. but im afraid i would offend her by asking her how to make my own,.insted of buying one from her. Hers are really beautiful,.and great quality,..but i already have a bunch of yarn laying around id like to make my cuz RichFox a tail as a gift^^and i cant afford to buy a tail,.let alone a tail as well made as hers. D:

  11. #11
    You Have Taken the Lead ChickO'Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Species
    Coelacanth fishie
    Posts
    710
    This
    14
    This'd 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkelliZelli View Post
    wow,.the tutorial is really good^^ and i already crochet regularly (am making a king sized blanket for my husband as a gift) i really would ask her,.i would. but im afraid i would offend her by asking her how to make my own,.insted of buying one from her. Hers are really beautiful,.and great quality,..but i already have a bunch of yarn laying around id like to make my cuz RichFox a tail as a gift^^and i cant afford to buy a tail,.let alone a tail as well made as hers. D:
    check your notes

  12. #12
    Dream a little dream of me.. 2,500 Club Bir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago
    Species
    Pearled wolf
    Posts
    2,942
    This
    9
    This'd 106 Times in 52 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    I'm not that mean, I can give you some information on how to make these. Just send me a note. ^^
    Last edited by Bir; 06-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    "Be free, oh wilds, for roots are not a cage, but an embrace"
    ~
    Weasyl: Sanka Anka
    DeviantArt: PearledWolfess
    Facebook: Pearled Wolf Creations

  13. #13
    Nerf Herder
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    This
    0
    This'd 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: How do you make a nice yarn tail?

    Okay so it seems super simple though I haven't started mine yet. Check out some YouTube tutorials.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Links monetized by VigLink