• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

a "furry" world

n1ghtmar3w0lf

i find myself asking questions when thinking of the logistics of an actual world full of anthropomorphic beings, one is what do they all eat, its kind of interesting as a lot of the creatures we eat might not be applicable , like you couldn't have bovines or cows for beef as there would be bovine anthro's, and I am sure it would not sit well, also if there are avian anthro's then any bird is off the menu, same for any reptilians and fish(shark anthros possibly), so that would leave possibly a more vegetarian diet, but there is also invertebrates ,insects, crustatians, mollusks ,etc . and what would that look like ,, another question i ask is what kind of other creatures would arise from a world full of anthro's, would we see octopi or some other creature be like our worlds large herbivores , these are just a few things there are other like relations between them , as in how such varied beings could coexist, and also would hybrids even be possible, another is could all of them evolove from one planet , its just some fun thoughts

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
i suppose my first question is "are all the animals anthropomorph, or are there anthropomorphic and and also just regular animals?"

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
What makes a lot more sense is if they define in this world humanity as sentience and non-anthros are fair game
I'm sorry if those sound like cruel rules, but the alternative simply makes no sense

Yakamaru

The hecking blepper
Where do carnivores get their food from?

Yastreb

The food question is overblown. They would obviously eat non-sentient animals just like we do (plus plants, etc.). When creating a world of antros you should always ask first which species are sentient and work from there. For example in Zootopia all mammals and only mammals are, so most of their meat probably comes from birds and fish.

Also hybrids (at least non-sterile ones) would have to be impossible unless the anthros appeared only recently, otherwise there would be no distinct species but just one that is blend of everything mixed together.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I did think of a world like this once. I glossed over the food thing as "the anthro ones are sentient, the non-anthro ones are not". And with suburban-ish life there winds up extra etiquette issues - if you're an herbivore, just eating the grass off a neighbor's lawn uninvited is VERY rude.

Regarding hybrids? I treated the whole set of anthros (all of them: mammals, avians, reptiles, even the anthro insects) as their own order of mammals (I'm relying on the high-school-level taxonomy chart, throwing in stuff like clades and suborders is only going to confuse me). Working down the taxonomy chart, I eventually got to the point where their "species" is what we in the modern day would consider families of animals (the lone exception being bats, where the entire Chiroptera order is a species because I had an early inconsistency in worldbuilding - having a vampire bat and fruit bat married with kids - and couldn't reasonably fix it any other way). So, for instance, "anthro mustelids" would be an entire species for hybrid purposes, and "anthro bovines" would be another.

I actually had another logistics issue I considered, at least in modern contexts - some aspects of modern medicine really wouldn't work with that much species diversity. Like, in the setting I made there are no blood banks because with four or more blood types per species, you simply could not keep all the needed blood on hand. The only way I can describe their alternative (without involving the mystical elements of the setting) is a chemical base, a blood draw from the recipient.... and a device that works on similar principles that centrifuges do, applied in reverse. I don't want to get too much into it here though.

D

Deleted member 134556

This is where plant based meats and products could be an answer to carnivorous species if we don't want to include the idea of there being non anthro versions as a food source. As hybrids, it would is theoretically possible, as we have successfully created hybrids in real life ourselves in the past decade.

All in all, the more we think about this concept, the more we can figure out how it's scientifically possible.

The food question is overblown. They would obviously eat non-sentient animals just like we do (plus plants, etc.).

Sounds right

birdfood.PNG

Yastreb

I think one big problem is where the anthros would originally come from. I can't see more than maybe four species co-evolving naturally, and even that is stretching it. The species would compete for the same areas and resources and one would eventually supersede the others unless something was preventing it. Think how it went with modern humas vs. all the other human species. If they come from different planets or continents there would have to be an astronomical coincidence for them all to evolve at the same time.

If you want just one anthro species that takes the place of humans in that world this is fine but if there are a lot of species I think they would have to be of artificial origin. Depending on the setting this could mean anything from magic or gods to genetic manipulation. One interesting thing is that if the anthros have been created from feral animals there could be both anthros and ferals of the same species. I wonder how a genetically uplifted dog would feel about ordinary dogs?

Kinare

RAWR
Meat-replacement technology does not exist in my world because it's fantasy based, not science, so I had to think of how food species could still exist and essentially it boils down to "some of you are blessed, some of you are not".

A major reason I chose not to use Earth as the world for my story is because of the problem of justifying things like how they came to exist and what you do about carnivores. I still have not decided on exact methods of how the anthro creatures in my world came to be. Many were "reformed" through magical means, which is also the excuse for how most have powers. Some I plan to argue have shifted on their own over time to remain competitive, those likely will lack power or have very little, while others were designated "food" and used as such too often to be given the chance to evolve into a more intelligent species. There are also feral or transformative aspects to some species, the latter being very rare. Basically... fuck science and it's Earthly logic, it's too boring!

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
In my story, the more humanoid they are, the more likely they are to have the same superiority complex as most humans do. They are as equally divided by picking apart their differences, even some taking jabs at other anthros for having humanoid mammaries instead of tummy nips.

Ferals are their main food source and humans are exotic and can be worth a fortune on the black market.

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
In a biological and bio-logical way:
Let's put it this way: Human in real life are anthro monkeys.
(Okay calm down there, just for an easy example! OwO )

However, human (aka. Homo Sapiences) ain't actually considered monkeys, at least per society.
(Well, some may disagree... but let's skip that!)

Theory A
Now, let's imagine if there're actual Furries instead of Homo-Sapiences... There are going to be same species on both 'humans'(or Furro-Sapiences >p< ) and 'animals', and no one living there shall care too much actually.
The core difference between Homo Sapiences and Furro-Sapiences, is that the Furro-Sapiences shall have numerous species in that race(unlike real life humans, which is only 1), and there are gonna be even more subspecies in that species(again, unlike real life humans, which is 3, per skin colors via textbooks).

Well... It'll be hard to imagine the carnivorous culture even then, because... Majority of the society in real life ain't used to eating monkeys too(I mean mostly).. so... I guess the Furry World counterpart shall be similar? But perhaps they'll make it...
Theory A-C
They're actually gonna make it pass anyways to allow carnivorous Furro-Sapiences eating other 'animals'(not the same race, but maybe same species, or not), regardless of the disapproving parties.
Theory A-O
Even the carnivorous Furro-Sapiences have actually 'evolved' to be omnivorous, and rely on herb sources majorly, while... yeah, some of them may be 'illegally' getting meat sources somehow.
Theory A-H (Which I believe to be the least likely)
All Furro-Sapiences have 'evolved' to be herbivorous and... problem solved! But what about nutrients and stuffs... Perhaps some sorta otherworld plants?

That was one theory, and another one:

Theory B
Regardless of the earlier theory, there's gonna be whole different species as 'animals' than ours, not those real life animal species. This shall naturally differentiate between 'humans'(aka. Furro-Sapiences) and 'animals'(actual species as animals in that world).
In this case, I guess 'eating animal meat' shouldn't be a problem for them. UwU
Also then, we're gonna ask those Furro-Sapiences what kinda species those 'animals' are!

Well, I can sense the theories are flawed... But hopefully that gives an outline.
And having reached this far, what makes me wonder the most is.... Would the Furro-Sapiences still keep their natures when they have went through the process of 'evolution'? (Eg: keep being carnivorous/herbivorous/omnivorous?)

Meh, if that was too complicated, make them magically become anthropomorphic animals (aka. furries) and then the....uh.. problem... is still there....uhhh.....

Oh right. I still had too much to concern about already! Is my laundry done yet?

n1ghtmar3w0lf

I think one big problem is where the anthros would originally come from. I can't see more than maybe four species co-evolving naturally, and even that is stretching it. The species would compete for the same areas and resources and one would eventually supersede the others unless something was preventing it. Think how it went with modern humas vs. all the other human species. If they come from different planets or continents there would have to be an astronomical coincidence for them all to evolve at the same time.

If you want just one anthro species that takes the place of humans in that world this is fine but if there are a lot of species I think they would have to be of artificial origin. Depending on the setting this could mean anything from magic or gods to genetic manipulation. One interesting thing is that if the anthros have been created from feral animals there could be both anthros and ferals of the same species. I wonder how a genetically uplifted dog would feel about ordinary dogs?
would you say a multi planetary world which would mean they are probably civ 2 or 3