• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A new furry looking for guidance.

HarlandWolf

As you can all probably tell, I'm a new furry looking for guidance. I've denied myself for so long that now I see how life is just passing me by. So I've decided to come out of the "furry closet" so to speak. I want to meet other people and understand the community, to interact as others do. I know I have a lot to learn about the communication and behavior of a furry, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me learn what I need to learn. I live in Syracuse, Utah, and have yet to find any place that furry friendly people congregate. I would like to meet others like me in the hopes of making friends. I like hiking and camping as the wild calls to me, and like a wolf, having a pack of my own friends to support and be supported by appeals to me. I also would like to know how to get in touch with somebody that can help me create my first fursona image, as well as eventually obtaining a fursuit. I don't know if there are any conventions for the furry community that are going to be happening anytime soon because of covid, but I would like to attend any functions that the furry community attends. Any help would be appreciated and welcome. Thank you for letting me join your community, and I look forward to getting to know you all. Sincerely, FureverWolf Utah (facebook name) PS - my fursona is a wolf/ fox hybrid that's blue gray and red. Like a wolf I can be serious and defensive when need be, but as fun and playful and joking as a trickster fox.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
Hello and welcome.

As far as meeting people in person Telegram is a good place to look for furmeet groups, at least once the pandemic passes.

There is a dedicated sub forum for art sales you can search and post through. Plenty of artists also advertise on the main site and other social media.

If you have any questions about anything there are plenty of people here happy to answer

HarlandWolf

Thank you Tacoshark! I appreciate the welcome. Still trying to navigate my way around all this. Never heard of telegram, I'll have to give it a try. Wish this pandemic thing wasn't around, but at least I'm coming out of the closet during the time that it's almost done. Would have been nice to have during the isolation, but I was still dealing with my own issues of understanding myself. I think most people have self-esteem issues, and they're hard to deal with sometimes. When a person takes a time to respond to a new person, to make them feel welcome, it helps. So thank you for taking the time to respond.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Hello, welcome to our crazy bunch! ;) These forums are a great place to start.

Please don't be too concerned with the matters of communication and behavior. There are no "secret signs" or anything like that involved, no special language other than a handful of community-specific terms, neither any particular requirements. You wouldn't even need a fursona. You want to associate yourself with the community - then you're in, it's really that simple! Just be respectful, and as far as these forums go, don't post any adult content directly (it's OK to link to an age-gated site though, such as properly adult-tagged items in the Furaffinity galleries) and don't bring up political matters (we've had bad experiences with this in the past with political threads becoming forum war zones, so now there's a blanket ban on it). Everything else will take care of itself with time, people here are generally friendly and easy going.

Should you have more questions, just ask them here and either I or someone else will respond.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Welcome to the forum, mate.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

HarlandWolf

Please don't be too concerned with the matters of communication and behavior. There are no "secret signs" or anything like that involved, no special language other than a handful of community-specific terms, neither any particular requirements. You wouldn't even need a fursona. You want to associate yourself with the community - then you're in, it's really that simple! Just be respectful, and as far as these forums go, don't post any adult content directly (it's OK to link to an age-gated site though, such as properly adult-tagged items in the Furaffinity galleries) and don't bring up political matters (we've had bad experiences with this in the past with political threads becoming forum war zones, so now there's a blanket ban on it). Everything else will take care of itself with time, people here are generally friendly and easy going.

Should you have more questions, just ask them here and either I or someone else will respond.
Thank you for the support and advice

Thank you for the advice, it's nice to know this place is so friendly. I look forward to getting to know a lot of people in here. Hopefully they don't mind a lot of questions.

HarlandWolf

Does anybody know any furrys in the Davis area of Utah? I'd really like to set up a meet and greet to be able to talk to somebody.

HarlandWolf

Heya! We're happy to have you!

For recommendations of finding local furs, if you're feeling particularly social, try Howlr! Otherwise, FurryCons keeps a pretty good and up to date list of all conventions!
Thank you, ananfoxer. I have already recently noticed the howlr app, but the furrycons one was new to me. I'm happy to say that there's a convention literally near me in July! I'm so stoked! I appreciate your help in that. Feeling a little nervous to attend my first convention, wish I had a fursuit to go with it. But being my first time maybe it's best that I just go as myself and maybe buy a tail or something while I'm there. They would sell those there right? Something to proclaim who I am, because I'm more than furry friendly. What would be your advice to someone that may be going by himself? How do I get to know people there? Do I just walk up to somebody and start talking to them? Or do you think they may have a place to socialize for new people and others?....... Anyway, thank you very much for your help. You're my hero!

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
Meowies! Make yourself home!

Well.. I wish I was around in your region, but in reality, I'm too far away.. UnU
But here in virtual space, there's no such distance! OwO

Besides, what I wanted to inform you were pretty much already covered above, so... meh!

I'll be around from time to time, like a roaming stray cat. See you around, new wuffo! >w<

HarlandWolf

Meowies! Make yourself home!

Well.. I wish I was around in your region, but in reality, I'm too far away.. UnU
But here in virtual space, there's no such distance! OwO

Besides, what I wanted to inform you were pretty much already covered above, so... meh!

I'll be around from time to time, like a roaming stray cat. See you around, new wuffo! >w<
Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to meet such friendly people. I hope to make many diversified friends all over that I can chat with. I'm always interested in other people's cultures and ways the furry community is in their neck of the woods. Always here to lend a paw of support.

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus. she/her
Thank you, ananfoxer. I have already recently noticed the howlr app, but the furrycons one was new to me. I'm happy to say that there's a convention literally near me in July! I'm so stoked! I appreciate your help in that. Feeling a little nervous to attend my first convention, wish I had a fursuit to go with it. But being my first time maybe it's best that I just go as myself and maybe buy a tail or something while I'm there. They would sell those there right? Something to proclaim who I am, because I'm more than furry friendly. What would be your advice to someone that may be going by himself? How do I get to know people there? Do I just walk up to somebody and start talking to them? Or do you think they may have a place to socialize for new people and others?....... Anyway, thank you very much for your help. You're my hero!
Of course! Howlr is more for just meeting people tho so tread with caution lol.

1. Fursuits are nice but not needed. I feel you tho, I want one too.
2. They would sell tails! As well as fursuit head bases, art, apparel, etc etc.
3. My best advice as a solo goer: See as much as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Dont be afraid to hop into conversation (when you can without it being weird), sit with people, talk, and invite people to panels. I missed out on the talking part my first go, and so its definitely something to make sure you do. Panels are fun, theyre varied, and they can keep you busy! If youre 18 or older, check out the Dragget show panel and I Comedy Better When I Have a Few if they're on the schedule. And there are also plenty of meetup panels where the whole thing is meeting people and making new friends! In downtime between panels, you can pop around to the dealers den, to the social areas, to get food, all the other fun stuff! And if you can, stick around for the dances at night! Furries party hard. And above all else, take pictures! Videos! Document it, take a gopro and vlog it,talk to artists and get commissions while youre there, get stuff that makes you smile and will make you smile even when the con is over. The amount of time I've spent milling over photos I took at MFF during lockdown is the only reason I made it through 2020. And a note about taking photos! Never be afraid to ask a fursuiter for one! Basically, unless they say no (or if theyre nonverbal and put their hands up or something like that), youre pretty much always gonna be able to get a picture of or with them. This is way better than the alternative, blurry sneaky photos you might take if you dont ask and just try and capture them as they walk past.

We're happy to help and we're happy to have you around!

HarlandWolf

Of course! Howlr is more for just meeting people tho so tread with caution lol.

1. Fursuits are nice but not needed. I feel you tho, I want one too.
2. They would sell tails! As well as fursuit head bases, art, apparel, etc etc.
3. My best advice as a solo goer: See as much as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Dont be afraid to hop into conversation (when you can without it being weird), sit with people, talk, and invite people to panels. I missed out on the talking part my first go, and so its definitely something to make sure you do. Panels are fun, theyre varied, and they can keep you busy! If youre 18 or older, check out the Dragget show panel and I Comedy Better When I Have a Few if they're on the schedule. And there are also plenty of meetup panels where the whole thing is meeting people and making new friends! In downtime between panels, you can pop around to the dealers den, to the social areas, to get food, all the other fun stuff! And if you can, stick around for the dances at night! Furries party hard. And above all else, take pictures! Videos! Document it, take a gopro and vlog it,talk to artists and get commissions while youre there, get stuff that makes you smile and will make you smile even when the con is over. The amount of time I've spent milling over photos I took at MFF during lockdown is the only reason I made it through 2020. And a note about taking photos! Never be afraid to ask a fursuiter for one! Basically, unless they say no (or if theyre nonverbal and put their hands up or something like that), youre pretty much always gonna be able to get a picture of or with them. This is way better than the alternative, blurry sneaky photos you might take if you dont ask and just try and capture them as they walk past.

We're happy to help and we're happy to have you around!
Thank you for the awesome advice. So far it's looking like I'm definitely going to be going solo. Still have to learn how to come out of my box though, and learn how to socialize with others. Most of my life I've been much of a recluse, but too much time is passing me by and I need to get out there and meet others and enjoy life. There's so much to do in this world, and if we don't embrace what can be we'll miss what could have been. Besides, what's the point of living a life if you don't do things to have the good memories to go with it when we get older. I don't want to look back on my life and wish I could have done things differently more than I already do. And what's dragget? I'm guessing that's a comedy thing. And I will definitely have to invest in a GoPro. Your advice about documenting my first experience is a great idea. I'm definitely going to have to do that so I have something to look back fondly on. I'm very curious to see a lot of the things you mentioned. Are the "panels" another name for groups? I'm thinking that some of the things you talked about I'll only understand once I'm there. Thank you for your guidance and help towards this new fur. :)

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus. she/her
Thank you for the awesome advice. So far it's looking like I'm definitely going to be going solo. Still have to learn how to come out of my box though, and learn how to socialize with others. Most of my life I've been much of a recluse, but too much time is passing me by and I need to get out there and meet others and enjoy life. There's so much to do in this world, and if we don't embrace what can be we'll miss what could have been. Besides, what's the point of living a life if you don't do things to have the good memories to go with it when we get older. I don't want to look back on my life and wish I could have done things differently more than I already do. And what's dragget? I'm guessing that's a comedy thing. And I will definitely have to invest in a GoPro. Your advice about documenting my first experience is a great idea. I'm definitely going to have to do that so I have something to look back fondly on. I'm very curious to see a lot of the things you mentioned. Are the "panels" another name for groups? I'm thinking that some of the things you talked about I'll only understand once I'm there. Thank you for your guidance and help towards this new fur. :)
Honestly, as you go to a convention, especially a furry convention, you'll realize you're right at home and that shell will melt away instantly. I understand how you feel, and going to my first furcon was like a social revelation for me. Made me more of an ambivert rather than a pure introvert lol. There is a lot of incredible stuff in this world, you got to see, and love, and appreciate as much of it as you can. Golden rule in life is live without regretting anything (or, more realistically, with as little regrets as possible).
GoPro isn't necessary, really any camera that has a video option (and preferably a photo mode) will do fine. All my first con pics/vids were on my old phone.

The Dragget Show is a podcast run by Alkali Bismuth (a ferret) and his mate Xander the Blue (a dragon. Dragget :p), very funny dudes and well worth your time.

Panel is the name given to like a presentation/event at a con. Bigger events like dances or "mainstage" events (like opening/closing ceremonies) happen in ballrooms (or on a mainstage, doy lol), etc. Panels are smaller events/presentations usually done in conference rooms. They can range from a lot of different things like Meet and Greets, Q&A's, how to write better, how to "art" more creatively, fursuit making, how to DJ, how to prepare for college (that one helped a LOT), anything. An anime con I went to in 2019 had an "emo kids" panel and it was just a bunch of nerds memeing it up and talking about emos in anime vs real life, and crying over emo music. At MFF last year they had a panel all about how to handle anxiety at a convention. There is all sorts of things to do at a convention.

HarlandWolf

Honestly, as you go to a convention, especially a furry convention, you'll realize you're right at home and that shell will melt away instantly. I understand how you feel, and going to my first furcon was like a social revelation for me. Made me more of an ambivert rather than a pure introvert lol. There is a lot of incredible stuff in this world, you got to see, and love, and appreciate as much of it as you can. Golden rule in life is live without regretting anything (or, more realistically, with as little regrets as possible).
GoPro isn't necessary, really any camera that has a video option (and preferably a photo mode) will do fine. All my first con pics/vids were on my old phone.

The Dragget Show is a podcast run by Alkali Bismuth (a ferret) and his mate Xander the Blue (a dragon. Dragget :p), very funny dudes and well worth your time.

Panel is the name given to like a presentation/event at a con. Bigger events like dances or "mainstage" events (like opening/closing ceremonies) happen in ballrooms (or on a mainstage, doy lol), etc. Panels are smaller events/presentations usually done in conference rooms. They can range from a lot of different things like Meet and Greets, Q&A's, how to write better, how to "art" more creatively, fursuit making, how to DJ, how to prepare for college (that one helped a LOT), anything. An anime con I went to in 2019 had an "emo kids" panel and it was just a bunch of nerds memeing it up and talking about emos in anime vs real life, and crying over emo music. At MFF last year they had a panel all about how to handle anxiety at a convention. There is all sorts of things to do at a convention.
Wonder if they'll have another panel on how to handle anxiety at a convention. I'm definitely going to be nervous going to my first one. Hopefully in the next couple months I'll be able to meet somebody that can go with me before the day of the convention arrives. Appreciate the 411 on it though. ;-)

Beepsi

As you can all probably tell, I'm a new furry looking for guidance. I've denied myself for so long that now I see how life is just passing me by. So I've decided to come out of the "furry closet" so to speak. I want to meet other people and understand the community, to interact as others do. I know I have a lot to learn about the communication and behavior of a furry, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me learn what I need to learn. I live in Syracuse, Utah, and have yet to find any place that furry friendly people congregate. I would like to meet others like me in the hopes of making friends. I like hiking and camping as the wild calls to me, and like a wolf, having a pack of my own friends to support and be supported by appeals to me. I also would like to know how to get in touch with somebody that can help me create my first fursona image, as well as eventually obtaining a fursuit. I don't know if there are any conventions for the furry community that are going to be happening anytime soon because of covid, but I would like to attend any functions that the furry community attends. Any help would be appreciated and welcome. Thank you for letting me join your community, and I look forward to getting to know you all. Sincerely, FureverWolf Utah (facebook name) PS - my fursona is a wolf/ fox hybrid that's blue gray and red. Like a wolf I can be serious and defensive when need be, but as fun and playful and joking as a trickster fox.
Welcome to the realm of furries, I'm also examining this as well.

So, for that fursona stuff, get in contact to an artist whom can do commissions, requests(, or trades) at: Fur Affinity (and it's forums section), So Furry, and Deviantart. Those are my only known trio to find an artist who draws fursonas for you. Oh, and there's Twitter.

Hope this helps.