• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A new show putting furries in a bad light?

BlueAmpharos

I saw a preview for a show on TNT called King & Maxwell. I never watched TNT but saw something interesting while checking different channels because nothing good was on at the time. I searched for the video but I couldn't find that, it's all behind the scene stuff it looks like, but there was an instance in the trailer for the show where there was a photo with a woman and someone in a fur suit in a provocative pose and some comment about "the whole fur thing" or something, might not be the exact quote but close. It might be too early to say for sure if this is going to be like the CSI episode with furries, but... I don't know, just looks like it might be. I have searched for "King & maxwell" furry in google but couldn't find anyone mentioning it, except for a script for the episode in a PDF file that I was only able to read with google's cached pages feature. I didn't read the whole thing though, so the related stuff isn't in context exactly since I skimmed it, I'll look into it in more detail later though, I'm not even sure if it's the actual script (although I was able to find a similar line to what I saw in the preview.)

Has anyone else seen this? Any opinions so far?

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
From what I have read here, it doesn't once mention the term 'furries'. For this reason, it is not possible to put them in a bad light to the general public because only those who have heard of them will understand it. That's my view, anyway.

BlueAmpharos

From what I have read here, it doesn't once mention the term 'furries'. For this reason, it is not possible to put them in a bad light to the general public because only those who have heard of them will understand it. That's my view, anyway.

I think this is the script here, but not 100% certain it's the real one. The "fur thing" line that I saw in the preview for the show is in there, though.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...0%26%20Maxwell.pdf+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited:

Jaseface

Bark! Bark!!
The only problem from the preview i can see coming up is for the fursuiters but i don't think the word furry was mentioned. the problem i see is the fact they have an "animal costume" and people could look at a fursuiter since they are also "animal costumes" and think about the show. Besides that i don't think this show is going to cause a big drama bomb just don't draw attention to it and put out reasons for people to link furries to it

BlueAmpharos

The only problem from the preview i can see coming up is for the fursuiters but i don't think the word furry was mentioned. the problem i see is the fact they have an "animal costume" and people could look at a fursuiter since they are also "animal costumes" and think about the show. Besides that i don't think this show is going to cause a big drama bomb just don't draw attention to it and put out reasons for people to link furries to it

Yeah, nevermind. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. The word "furry" or any form of it isn't in any of the actual dialogue, the thing is that most non-furs already have an image of "furries" being what is shown in there. Even if they don't say it by name, it doesn't exactly help the furry fandom's image either. I don't fursuit, but the furry stereotype is people in fursuits "yiffing", and so it's not really helping either. Does that make sense?

Jaseface

Bark! Bark!!
Yeah i know what you mean i fursuit and that is one question i have been asked before and i have heard crude comments regarding me being in suit. With people believing that stereotype its hard to prove it wrong since no one ever wants to change their opinion even if its based off false facts.

Toshabi

Banned
Banned
How does one put something that's already in a bad light into a bad light? You act like furry is a sacred fandom that no one else can have an opinion on. The sad part is whatever fucked up thing they show/reference about furries isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the fucked up things in this fandom. :V

Kaedal

Punny User Title
Welcome to the world of popular media, where putting someone or something in the pillory of public opinion is... well, popular! Why is this so particularly worse than the many other things that shows make fun of and put in a bad light?

T

TheMetalVelocity

Sorry for double posting. Where is it on the script? I have to see this and I am thrilled to see the video.

BlueAmpharos

i am just curious, is this the trailer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTLVnR-Elg
No, that's not it, it didn't have them talking behind the scenes, it was more a regular trailer. I couldn't find it on youtube but I saw it today a couple times.

Sorry for double posting. Where is it on the script? I have to see this and I am thrilled to see the video.

I think it's: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Welcome to the world of popular media, where putting someone or something in the pillory of public opinion is... well, popular! Why is this so particularly worse than the many other things that shows make fun of and put in a bad light?

Yeah, nevermind. Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread then. Can I delete my own thread?

T

TheMetalVelocity

people already think negatively of furries, so i really don't give a crap
But I think it would further ruin the image of the fandom, or maybe not? I don't know. How can you build up reputation for furries?

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Maybe the reason why people keep making fun of furries is because furries tend to overreact to any negative media coverage, and are thus easy targets. Again, people take the fandom way too seriously, as if it were some secret society established to shelter nerds from the outside world.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Maybe the reason why people keep making fun of furries is because furries tend to overreact to any negative media coverage, and are thus easy targets. Again, people take the fandom way too seriously, as if it were some secret society established to shelter nerds from the outside world.
I notice furries are much more calm as far as reaction to things goes compared to other fanbases/fandoms. And, a lot of times they laugh at parodies and such, but that King & Maxwell video seems a little offensive, because it's using furries and involving them with criminal behavior. There is a line you know. It's one thing making fun of them having sex, but it's another when making us look like criminals. I never really heard of a furry/fursuiter that has done criminal behavior, especially when it seems like the fursuiters are more loving than your average person.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I notice furries are much more calm as far as reaction to things goes compared to other fanbases/fandoms. And, a lot of times they laugh at parodies and such, but that King & Maxwell video seems a little offensive, because it's using furries and involving them with criminal behavior. There is a line you know. It's one thing making fun of them having sex, but it's another when making us look like criminals. I never really heard of a furry/fursuiter that has done criminal behavior, especially when it seems like the fursuiters are more loving than your average person.

Well, yes, now our fandom is quite a bit more stable. But a couple of years back, heh, lots of angry furries. All that youtube stuff in 2008. Have we matured as a fandom?

T

TheMetalVelocity

Well, yes, now our fandom is quite a bit more stable. But a couple of years back, heh, lots of angry furries. All that youtube stuff in 2008. Have we matured as a fandom?
All I remember from 08 is the wacky voice actor sonic fucktards who bitched about it back in the day, and of course the console fanboys, mostly 360 vs ps3. I never knew what furry was, maybe that's why.

BlueAmpharos

That's something that's bothering me, I was fine with the American Dad thing too and thought it was kind of funny, but the King & Maxwell thing... well, I was slightly concerned it doesn't really bother me that much, I mostly wanted people's opinion on it and was hoping for an interesting discussion, but maybe this whole thing was a mistake. Sorry.

Last edited: