• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A place for subcultures meet and connect?

KippLink

Beginner Artist
Howdy all!
I was always curious if there was a website or some online social corner for people who live alternative lifestyles like anime fans, cosplay, even metalheads and just your average geeks to connect and meet up with others like minded people.
If myspace had some success considering not everyone even had internet back in that time than surely we must have something better by now....

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Hello,

Discord servers are an excellent way to find groups to socialize with.

I have ones for birds, metal, skateboarding, my favorite video games, and of course art. It's very convenient.

There is a popular website that allows you to search for ones to join based on your interests. I'll drop the link below for you.

DISBOARD | Public Discord Server List

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Howdy all!
I was always curious if there was a website or some online social corner for people who live alternative lifestyles like anime fans, cosplay, even metalheads and just your average geeks to connect and meet up with others like minded people.
If myspace had some success considering not everyone even had internet back in that time than surely we must have something better by now....

Discord is your best bet, just be careful to which waters you tread in.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I am curious to know what you meant by this? I have somewhat cold feet with the fandom, so I am kind of starting out. I have also heard that Discord is a good place to engage. Are there groups you would avoid?

Oh yes, there are some very bad groups out there, plus there's a lot of very mismanaged group. It's like giving power to some people who otherwise would be the village idiot, or electing a bus driver to be president. It will end up with really shady areas or places where the mods let it go to their heads. It's sort of the wild west.

Supernova24

Oh yes, there are some very bad groups out there, plus there's a lot of very mismanaged group. It's like giving power to some people who otherwise would be the village idiot, or electing a bus driver to be president. It will end up with really shady areas or places where the mods let it go to their heads. It's sort of the wild west.
. What are some red flags? I want to engage more with the community, but want to avoid association with groups that would compromise my own reputation/standing.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
. What are some red flags? I want to engage more with the community, but want to avoid association with groups that would compromise my own reputation/standing.
There are servers that have ratings and reviews, most notably the more popular ones. Those are a good way to find decent ones.

Red flags might include violent/hateful groups, or servers promote and engage in illegal activity. Some servers openly promote themselves for this reason, so it can be easy sometimes to see ones you should avoid.

If you use your best judgement, you should be alright, but that's just coming from my point of view in experience.

Supernova24

There are servers that have ratings and reviews, most notably the more popular ones. Those are a good way to find decent ones.

Red flags might include violent/hateful groups, or servers promote and engage in illegal activity.

If you use your best judgement, you should be alright, but that's just coming from my point of view in experience.
Thanks!

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
I'm sure if you search "popular furry discord servers" on bing or google, you should find some promising recomendations, if that fails, I left a link to a discord server finder in my first post that should help, but like what Jared said too, be careful and use caution.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
When it comes to Discord or Telegram or any of that, just joining and reading the kinds of things posted should give you an idea of the "culture" there.

Sven Solitude

I'm struggling as well to find good servers. Smaller ones usually seem very inactive and often half of the users ain't even people, but bots.
It also feels like that people on most servers are pretty...vulgar. Even though they described them as super-friendly places with flying butterflies and vanilla scent! But yeah, taking a quick look inside these servers is a good idea. :3
I will try the link you provided, @Nexus Cabler. :)