• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A Question about Adoptables and image Rights

mithandir91

Adoptions are a process where you, technically, buy the rights of a character's desing, right?
Is possible to create a character design in a Open license/creative common where people are free to use then? If so, Is there any project like that?

I'll be aiming to create a project where multipurpose furry characters and bases are free to be used as long as the original designer is citaded in the art. Is a way to create a ever-expanding universe with those character.

N

Nyro46

I think how that would work would putting the original drawings of said designs into the public domain.
How that works is basically when an artist posts the work, they would write somewhere with the image that the flag all rights to the public domain; aka, anyone may use the art. Though of course this would have to be art of a brand new character, not one that is pre-existing.
If you wanted to add stories/descriptions to the characters, then the writing would also have to be somewhere said it is in the public domain. (So then people are allowed to make derivative works off the writing and images, without them infringing any copyright).

quoting_mungo

Sounds what you're looking for is a project based on/backed by a Creative Commons license. I'm not well-versed enough in CC to offhand point you to the exact one, but something something derivative work allowed something something attribution is the general area you'd be going for.

You can release whatever you please under a CC license. It's your work to do what you want with. Similarly, you can totally seek out others with a similar vision for a joint project.

Heppi

The happy one~
Adoptions are a process where you, technically, buy the rights of a character's desing, right?
No. The artist will always have the copyright of an original piece of art and they can do whatever they want with it, even after "selling" it to someone. To make things sure a contract is always necessary. But I guess most people don't want to go through much struggle or lose their reputation and just take things easy.

Creative Common sounds like a good idea for your vision, just like quoting_mungo said. :)