• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A question of copyright

i have a some i guess prose to submit and have carefully considered the upload policy,however to get the proper mood for it i need to use Ludwig van Beethoven's moonlight sonata as far as i know the copyright has expired
on the song and it is open for use also since it is midi cant be an original
so would it meet fa's acceptable upload policy and should it be in flash or music category it seems to meet them but i want to be very sure first
I'm honestly confused.
also i wasn't sure were to put this but site disussion seemed like a good place.
I'm not gonna do anything till i get a strait answer and i would greatly appreciate it.
so uh please answers?

TheGru

I'v seen a few midi's but it is a good question, the person to best answer would be FoxAmoore, he's the music admin, you could PM him your question.

Leahtaur

If we consider the precedent, that Nek0gami was not allowed to use a 3D model of Krystal because it was not created by him or for him, even though the creator gave permission for anyone to use it, I believe that the answer would be no. Even though the copyright has most likely expired like you said, I believe in this case FA's By You/For You policy overrides that.

Sorry to get all lawyer-y. :p

Janglur

lolyer

lolyer

Leahtaur

Lawyers really are lol. Many of the ones I work with/for seem to be highly intelligent and skilled in one narrow area of life, and a little ditzy in most others.

I work in a law firm, and the guys I work with (and occasionally myself)are constantly called away from more useful tasks to fiddle with drawers that have become misaligned from their tracks, or undo paper jams that are simple to undo (and are more often than not explained in the diagram on the copy machine). To be fair, lawyers are busy with their own stuff, and our department is sort of in charge of the oddjobs that aren't covered by IT or maintenance. And to be even MORE fair, I'm pretty ditzy myself. But c'mon. :p

Off topic. Yes. >_>

Janglur

I'm an Uhmerican.

Uh....

blotch

kitsunefoxfire said:
i have a some i guess prose to submit and have carefully considered the upload policy,however to get the proper mood for it i need to use Ludwig van Beethoven's moonlight sonata as far as i know the copyright has expired
on the song and it is open for use also since it is midi cant be an original
so would it meet fa's acceptable upload policy and should it be in flash or music category it seems to meet them but i want to be very sure first
I'm honestly confused.
also i wasn't sure were to put this but site disussion seemed like a good place.
I'm not gonna do anything till i get a strait answer and i would greatly appreciate it.
so uh please answers?

I suspect you're in the clear.
The music itself is in the free domain now. The only thing would be using an orchestra's preformance of the music without their permission--but as a midi, again, I suspect you're safe to use it. :]

R

Raving_Dragon

I believe that after a set number of years after the musician has passed on, you may use his/her music for anything you please. I dont remember exactly how many years it is but I think it's 100. - update- "Copyright subsists for a variety of lengths in different jurisdictions, with different categories of works and the length it subsists for also depends on whether a work is published or unpublished. In most of the world the default length of copyright for many works is generally the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years." - taken fron wikipedia

T

TakeWalker

Although nowadays, music companies own copyrights and have entire divisions devoted to renewing said copyrights when they expire. But for older music, I think that still stands.

Stratelier

Tevildo said:
Stratadrake said:
True true, Beethoven's sonata is older than the concept of copyrights itself.
First copyright act - 1709.

Moonlight Sonata - 1801.

Factual accuracy is always a good thing.

That's what happens when you type before doing research.

US copyrights used to last for about 14 years or so, but now (with the DMCA) they last ... well, a few days short of forever.

Leahtaur

I'd just like to restate here that the issue is not US or international copyright law. It's FA's rules that have the final say, which go a step beyond copyright law with the By You/For You policy.

But hey, if an admin wants to correct me... :3

FreeNatureArts

( Qoute)
by: Lucedo

"It seems that Americans are lawsuit-happy! LOL "
(end)

I'm sorry to go offtopic with these guys but if you where in america you'd know why ^^;. With how little money 70% of them get and how horible the goverment is with steping on our toes to pay for a baby such as bush and his little army games for oil and " power". The ability of lawsuits have in some cases become poorer peoples only way of income. So till you Leahtaur, and you Lucedo Are in a place where you only get 3 bucks a hour and work five hours a day for a house thats rented to you for 700 a month and your starving due to it. I think it would be best you leave that to the american people to say =P.

Mind you I'm in no way a person to do law suits, so in addition I'd like to add that I'm american and a law suit is the number one most childish way to resolve a problem that one could do ones-self if ones butt would just get off the couch XD. And I'm speeking from experiance here =3. I lived in a house with a collapsed roof in half the house for five years, mold was a huge problem and so was aspestus.

But now cause me and my siblings grew up, we helped my mom by dropping out of school and working in the real world, making money and buying a 68,000 dollar house in Indiana, now we're much better then ever, but once we where those poor people. So please don't act like we're all a bunch of maroding idiots, some americans actualy know what to do and don't give a flying poop about the goverment.

( no curse words used for the fact I don't know if their alowed. ) But again I'm sorry for going off-topic with these inexperianced memebers saying that about my country and me, such sensitivity could not be left behind.( no flame intended but you don't know what lifes like here to say that stuff, it's a simple Fact.)

FreeNatureArts said:
( Qoute)
by: Lucedo

"It seems that Americans are lawsuit-happy! LOL "
(end)

I'm sorry to go offtopic with these guys but if you where in america you'd know why ^^;. With how little money 70% of them get and how horible the goverment is with steping on our toes to pay for a baby such as bush and his little army games for oil and " power". The ability of lawsuits have in some cases become poorer peoples only way of income. So till you Leahtaur, and you Lucedo Are in a place where you only get 3 bucks a hour and work five hours a day for a house thats rented to you for 700 a month and your starving due to it. I think it would be best you leave that to the american people to say =P.

Mind you I'm in no way a person to do law suits, so in addition I'd like to add that I'm american and a law suit is the number one most childish way to resolve a problem that one could do ones-self if ones butt would just get off the couch XD. And I'm speeking from experiance here =3. I lived in a house with a collapsed roof in half the house for five years, mold was a huge problem and so was aspestus.

But now cause me and my siblings grew up, we helped my mom by dropping out of school and working in the real world, making money and buying a 68,000 dollar house in Indiana, now we're much better then ever, but once we where those poor people. So please don't act like we're all a bunch of maroding idiots, some americans actualy know what to do and don't give a flying poop about the goverment.

( no curse words used for the fact I don't know if their alowed. ) But again I'm sorry for going off-topic with these inexperianced memebers saying that about my country and me, such sensitivity could not be left behind.( no flame intended but you don't know what lifes like here to say that stuff, it's a simple Fact.)

I would like to point out in this case im not american im a legit 100% Native American.

Problem resolved its midi and as far as i know no longer copyrighted its not like i used an original recording.