• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

As a non-human person in the furry community, I sometimes wonder...

• Why does it sometimes seem like I'm the only one in this fandom who feels "this" way?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Why do I talk to furries all the time, but we never talk about how we feel about our species?

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Why can't I put into words how I feel about my species?

• Why can't I relate to other furries in a more "furry" way? Why does it seem so superficial?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • When will I finally resolve how I feel about my species or fursona? Why don't other furs understand?

• Why doesn't anyone seem to understand that it's normal to yearn to be physically non-human?

• Why do I always feel like I'm waiting for a conversation about "being a furry" that never happens?

• Why do I always have such a difficult time explaining what being a furry means to me?

• Why do other furries always make fun of me when I try to explain what this fandom means to me?

• I actually consider myself human, but I answered at least one other question.

• Total voters

ordinon

As people who participate in this community, we get together, talk, and try to have a good time.

But how often do we really talk about what brings us together in the first place?

Some of us, since an early age, have always felt that who we truly are inside is not the human being people see when they look at our body. Some, like myself, have felt more wolflike since an early age.

I call this "species incongruence," or "species dysphoria," and it is my reality.

For me, it's the reason to put on the fursuit in the first place. Wearing my fursuit helps me feel more like my inner being, and when wearing my fursuit, I feel like others see me more as who I truly am.

Personally, I feel that species dysphoria should be medically recognized, and that fursuits should be paid for by health insurance. It's really the only way for those of us who are non-human to feel comfortable in our bodies and in our appearance, since surgery is obviously not an option.

But this thread is for others of you out there, who, like me, are always wondering, "When are we actually going to TALK about how we FEEL, and why we're even involved in this community in the first place?"

Not all people are human, and I wanted to create this thread as a safe and compassionate place for those of you who feel what I feel and go through what I go through. I know what it's like to feel the way I do about my species, and how frustrating it can be when you feel like the only one, or when people don't understand when you try to explain your feelings.

If you ARE human, you can talk in this thread, but remember, if you don't like what you're reading, the rest of the world is there to accept you as a human. Not so for those of us who are wolves, cats, etc.

Be respectful, and acknowledge that this is a place for non-humans to talk about their non-human identity so they can feel more connected to the community and others who share their experiences.

Cosmonaughty

Finally comfortable in my fur!
To be honest, since I was about 8 I always felt more like an alien, or something that never belonged on this planet in the first place. I always observed the world rather than get involved with it! Through doing that I now have a warped 'outside looking in' mentality to what is going on around me! Never got involved with politics, religeon, social trends, and all that stuff! Just hovered round the edge trying to fathom what I was looking at! It was confusing and scary at first, but the things I have learned not being involved with humanity has made me near impervious to manipulation and control, which is actually rather liberating!

Doing this for so long though, you notice things! Things nobody else even contemplates! Human logic is so flawwed! It baffles me why these creatures still fight eachother over petty things even though they are the same in so many ways, and why they still believe really outdated notions because of tradition and conditioning! Like people who eat ice cream or drink slush drinks, knowing full well that they just had brainfreeze and it hurts! I just cannot accept humanity as MY species!

Being as I am doesnt get me much love, but it certainly beats being a member of a species that kills itself while congratulating its efforts to do so!

I genuinely didnt know there was a term for this ^v^ Its rather relieving to know Im not the only one that didnt belong!

Thanks dude! ^v^

Heppi

The happy one~
Really interesting viewpoint, Ordinon. Glad to see you here on the forums. :)

Well, I'm a human, obviously. I like everything my human body has to offer, like hands and feet or the brain I can use to even think about topics like these. All these thoughts wouldn't be possible, if I were not a human.
But yeah, when it comes to feels, most people simply don't understand me and vice versa. Maybe that's normal, I dunno. So no, I don't feel like a human, because I can't find similarities in most other humans other than superficial ones. You simply can't explain your feels to someone, who never experienced them in the first place. I tried to talk to self-proclaimed "normal" people in the past, but that was a real hassle. I explained things and they meant they would understand this, because it's like this and this. Nooo! It's not like "this and this". They start to make connections to the things they already know, but it couldn't be more wrong. So, it's pointless most of the time. It takes time and effort to understand, but many people seem not to be willing to do that.

But I learned something, when I joined the furry fandom. It is still better to be open and share your feelings and views and such. Even so most people wouldn't understand them, you are at least able to find like-minded people eventually, who actually do understand! Focus on them, that brings happiness! And that's so much better than living alone with your feelings, really. :) Forget those people who don't understand you, it leads to nothing. They can live their own lives and do things they enjoy and we do the same. The real problem is just people who try to (forcefully) change others. That's sick. Or spreading negativity. Fight against that. If you feel more like an animal, that's great! Always stay true, friends.

Last edited:

Faexie

Rara for short :)
Hey there, I don't identify as an animal but I hope it's okay if I post here. It sounds like you're a bit confused about what furry means. Being a furry is simply being a fan of anthro animals as a concept. It is not an identity.

I believe you would find more people like yourself in the otherkin/therian community, who actually identify as animals and mythological creatures.

Though otherkins/therians do tend to partake in the furry fandom (and it's often how they end up learning about otherkins/therians) because it allows them to express themselves.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
fursuits should be paid for by health insurance
tumblr_inline_pfp352ORsk1r4hkfd_250.png

artoni

Does Anyone Really Know How Does Art Anyway
Agreed on otherkin. You're not *not* a furry, but most of the folks here use their fursonas as a way of expressing themselves. I'm not saying there aren't those who ID as something else, but you'll probably find more of them in another kind of forum.

Also, fursuits are only a temporary measure. Until packers and binders are covered by insurance, we're nowhere near such being covered. To put aside the can of worms that health insurance is generally for humans, by humans...

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
Yea like someone said this sounds more like a otherkin/therian thing rather than just a furry thing. And yea some furries are kin (I'm technically fictionkin, which is like the cousin to otherkin)

But I don't see the harm in having a thread for otherkin here (unless its against the rules I'm not a mod) but it might be better in the general category or even just going "furry community discuss your kin experiences here"

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I suspect this is a joke thread. ;3 The jig's up at 'using health insurance to pay for fursuits' ! ;D

Anyway, I actually do feel a deep dissatisfaction with being human, but maybe that's what it is to be human. ;]

ordinon

Yeah I was I like "oh okay you do your own thing" until that came up. Health insurance should in no way pay for it nor should it be recognized as a proper disorder.

Well, regardless of fursuits and health insurance, I can actually make a pretty reasonable point that species dysphoria can be an actual disorder.

When I was in college, I picked my courses based on what major I thought would best help me transform into a real "anthro" one day.

I've also heard of others who have gone into biology for similar reasons... Because deep down they feel non human, and they think studying biology will help them one day resolve their feelings.

I mean, this is clearly disordered behavior, since it's unreasonable to pick your major because you think it's going to help you physically become a furry. So, maybe species dysphoria isn't as unreasonable as you think?

And also, I find it kind of hurtful when people say I'm trolling when I just want to talk about what being a furry is to me.... MY identity.

I get some people really think this is a "joke thread," but it isn't.

If the content doesn't resonate with you, please just back off... Please...

And, if people want to make this an otherkin or therian thread, that's fine with me, because it's still on topic. The thread is for anyone who feels non-human in some way. Thanks.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Well, regardless of fursuits and health insurance, I can actually make a pretty reasonable point that species dysphoria can be an actual disorder.

When I was in college, I picked my courses based on what major I thought would best help me transform into a real "anthro" one day.

I've also heard of others who have gone into biology for similar reasons... Because deep down they feel non human, and they think studying biology will help them one day resolve their feelings.

I mean, this is clearly disordered behavior, since it's unreasonable to pick your major because you think it's going to help you physically become a furry. So, maybe species dysphoria isn't as unreasonable as you think?

And also, I find it kind of hurtful when people say I'm trolling when I just want to talk about what being a furry is to me.... MY identity.

I get some people really think this is a "joke thread," but it isn't.

If the content doesn't resonate with you, please just back off... Please...

And, if people want to make this an otherkin or therian thread, that's fine with me, because it's still on topic. The thread is for anyone who feels non-human in some way. Thanks.
Just because you aren't comfortable being human and wanting to be something else doesn't make it a disorder.

ordinon

Just because you aren't comfortable being human and wanting to be something else doesn't make it a disorder.

Can we please not argue about it?

It's pointless anyway, since species identity has not been seriously studied, scientifically... ... At least not yet, anyway.

D

Deleted member 111470

Sometimes I lie in bed and wonder, what woes betide my fellow people around the Earth - do they have to fight a bloody war? Is it pestilence that plagues them? Unfathomable diseases with no cure in sight, leaving their bodies in ruin? Are they ravaged by famine and drought?

No, they want a free fursuit paid by health insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
To me, my inner cat has always been with me, to the point where I would comfortably say it IS me.

Ever since I was a child, I felt feline. My actions, mannerisms, reactions, all feline. I walk through the world thinking like a cat, to the point where I openly caught myself purring or snarling as appropriate. When I relaxed it was always with a feline sprawl and mannerisms, drove my friends nuts! <LOL> I relate to cats in the zoos, and even my natural skills are feline (I'm a natural martial artist with above-average balance and reflexes and speed...no shock I've been told I move like a cat)

To me, I am a feline soul (Jaguar it feels like) trapped in this human body. So when I put on my ears, fangs, collar, and tail, I feel like I'm taking OFF a costume, not putting one on! Naturally I wear them all the time, even right now of course as I type this. It feels more natural for me to have the fangs than to not have them. My tail feels so sensual I swear I can feel people stroking it when they do. To me, this IS me...and I love being myself. <purrr>

Not everyone understands this. To many a fursona is just a character, and of course that's fine! But to me, it's much more...it's my true identity. If I could, I'd wear my outfit all the time, but unfortunately we live in a world that doesn't like it much. Except for Halloween tomorrow of course!!! WOOHOO!!! 24 hours of no judgements!!!! <LOL> But I digress...

Is this clear? I tend to suck at explaining things sometimes...<blush>

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
I myself identify as an otherkin. I belive that anything that exists is spirit and any physical form or body is just a reflection of that. I further belive that every spirit has a true nature that defines it's verry existence across all lives and incarnations, and that the true nature of my spirit is this dragon. But I'm also aware how wired that must sound for someone not concerned with such views, and I cool with that. It's my own way of seeing the world. And since it's nothing one has to know to get acquainted to me, I don't talk about it unless I'm explicitly asked for it.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I actually came out as a dragon to my parents and they took it well. Showed them some sfw art of my sona. Mom sent a sweet text: "As long as you have wings, because you were born to fly. Thank you for sharing that with me. Those are beautiful."

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Jokes aside, if medical insurance actually paid for a fur suit, I'd be down with that.

That said, I know that unfortunately I'm human. We all are. But...despite what I might have said before in another thread about wishful thinking, deep down I want to be a cat. I wish I was, and sometimes I feel like I'm supposed to be one. I know I have a human brain, human anatomy and the like...but does that feel wrong? I certainly don't feel like I'm from Earth. The social rules are so...odd. Occasionally I'll look at countries outside the one I was born with (the US) and think some of their cultures/customs make more sense, like the Japanese thinking it's rude to make eye contact. But then there are other things that I was born into that do make sense, like the english system versus the metric system. The metric system is what the rest of the world uses, but I don't feel comfortable measuring in anything other than feet and inches. (and miles, yards...you get the idea). The only thing I measure in the metric system is soda (which I need to cut way back on, but I digress).
My point? If you look at it from a metaphorical stand point, I do sometimes feel like that one english system user in a world of metric system users. I feel like the proverbial fruit loop in the bowl of cheerios. It could be the autism talking...although...I'm still wondering if I even have it. Recently when I started going to therapy again in the first session (I'm waiting to get back to them for follow ups, I think they have to call me and I'm on some kind of waiting list) I came to the conclusion that I actually match the ADHD profile more closely despite tests previously that said otherwise to the opinion of the psychologist I saw. But it's clear I have it...to me anyway. But we'll see.
Needless to say, I do prefer the company of animals over most humans. In particular, I prefer the company of felines, but I'd sooner hang out with a dog, ferret...or heck...a moth...than most other human beings. The exceptions are like...wasps and stuff because wasp bites and stings are no fun. My boyfriend who's also a furry feels the same way, preferring animals over humans. We consider the cats our kids, human children are ugh to me. (But you want to be a teacher Mau! Yes, but I want to teach older kids. I'm fine with older kids because I can have intelligent conversations with them. I'm referring mostly to babies/toddlers...ugh).
I often sit and go...what's wrong with humans? No claws, no sharp teeth, no paws, hooves, pointy ears? No tails? I mean...did evolution seriously screw us over? Sure we have highly advanced brains...and that's cool. But why did we have to give up all the really cool stuff that other animals have? I'm sort of envious of other animals for having all these awesome adaptations...and here I am...just an ordinary human. I can't jump like a cat or have claws, I can't fly without the aide of an air plane. I can't breath underwater. Being human is just so...lame.
I wouldn't want to give up my intelligence or anything but...even being an intelligent quadruped would do over well...this.
There's plenty of other things I hate about being human as well, and in particular being a human female. But I rather not delve too much into that.
The point is, I do wish I was a cat, and sometimes I think I was meant to be a cat. Maybe not an Earth cat, unless they're secretly as intelligent as us...(which sometimes, I kind of think they really are...but again I digress) but a cat none the less.
But alas, I'm still very much genetically, emotionally, and physically human. And it sucks.