• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

A writing challenge for ALL of us! (All writing skill levels welcome)

SoL-JoS

Fasto catto and LPW's #1 ~C U S S~ expert
I was editing my newest story as I logged into FA today and something occurred to me...

What if we all came together and wrote a story one paragraph at a time?

Please keep it SFW to be respectful to the rest of the community.

Let's go!

- - - - - - -

The sun blazed overhead and a weak breeze ruffled through the young mouse's sandy-blonde hair as he trudged determinedly through the dense undergrowth. The abandoned trail he'd discovered after searching on the internet for a new place to explore was a bit more difficult than most of the journeys he’d enjoyed in the past three years since he had joined college. The path wrapped around a mountainous hill that was overgrown with briars and somewhat treacherous where the weather had created hidden drop-offs. He even spied a snake that he knew to be venomous. No matter how many nettles stuck to his jeans or how many dangerous creatures he encountered, however, his appreciation for the beautiful splendor that nature offered overrode any feelings of discomfort or danger.

LadySajani

I'll give it a go a little later. Too many errands right now.

AbleFur

Livin in the sunlight, lovin in the moonlight.
The sun blazed overhead and a weak breeze ruffled through the young mouse's sandy-blonde hair as he trudged determinedly through the dense undergrowth. The abandoned trail he'd discovered after searching on the internet for a new place to explore was a bit more difficult than most of the journeys he’d enjoyed in the past three years since he had joined college. The path wrapped around a mountainous hill that was overgrown with briars and somewhat treacherous where the weather had created hidden drop-offs. He even spied a snake that he knew to be venomous. No matter how many nettles stuck to his jeans or how many dangerous creatures he encountered, however, his appreciation for the beautiful splendor that nature offered overrode any feelings of discomfort or danger.
In his hand he grasped a weathered walking stick. Its smooth wood had been worn into a textured system of microscopic canyons and mesas by the many claws that had clutched it before. It had belonged to the mouse's father, and to his father before that. The fury of wanderlust ran in the mouse's veins. What lay beyond the next hill? What glen behind this creek? These thoughts swayed his mind, even when he was away from the wilderness. And on the trail now he went, pressing stick into the sun-baked earth again and again as he eagerly propelled himself down the derelict path, paying more mind to the earth and the heat from the sun and the rustle in the foliage than to the voice that suddenly said, "Hey! Mouse-boy!"

LadySajani

Belthar gripped his walking stick tightly. Not her again. Was there no way to get rid of her?
"Whatcha running from, little mousey?" Genhala smiled at him, showing off her sharp feline teeth. "Thought leaving class five minutes early would make it so we couldn't find you?"
No, he hoped that leaving five minutes early would be just out of the norm enough that'd it'd slow them down.

More than a paragraph, but they were short.

larigot

Belthar gripped his walking stick tightly. Not her again. Was there no way to get rid of her?
"Whatcha running from, little mousey?" Genhala smiled at him, showing off her sharp feline teeth. "Thought leaving class five minutes early would make it so we couldn't find you?"
No, he hoped that leaving five minutes early would be just out of the norm enough that'd it'd slow them down.

More than a paragraph, but they were short.

Genhala's cronies appeared by her side; the languid simian and his impetuous canine friend. Belthar figured that the latter had sniffed him out. Genhala's bearing and appearance - tall and dressed in colourful atire - ensured that Belthar remembered her name in the brief time that he'd been following his current course, but the names of her companions slipped his mind. Out of those who fawned over Genhala, they seemed the least impressive.
"Are you stalking me?" Belthar asked the trio.

arctophily

commission writer - fluffy and cute to boot
"I wouldn't call it stalking if it's deserved," said Genhala, looking over her claws with a flippant -- and well-practiced -- grin. The two others sniggered in response. "Besides, who's going to be here to make sure the dean's son doesn't get into trouble? Especially when nobody's really sure about what you get up to out here."

larigot

"I'm flattered you're so concerned about me... in fact, the dean will be happy to hear it," Belthar said, and he continued onwards - his eyes avoiding those of the intrusive trio.
Before he could pass them, Genhala's arm shot out in front of him, giving her canine henchman time to block his way.

SoL-JoS

"Where ya think you're going, mousie boy?" He spat venomously. Belthar sighed plainly and stepped to the left to avoid him, but was quickly intercepted and shoved rudely by the scowling monkey. By reflex alone, the mouse caught himself with his walking stick and growled angrily at his attacker.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
It was fortunate at the time that a skunk, sleeping in the bushes, awoke due to the commotion. He peeped out, and saw the two canines, harassing the mouse: Dogs, he thought to himself. Always nosing about being such a growly 'ol menace. He emerged from the bush, lifted his tail, and without so much as a stomping of the feet or a hiss as a warning, sprayed them squarely in the face, watching them fall back, reeling, and rolling about on the path. Then he noted the monkey, as well, and gave him a nice blast. "Why don't you go back to zoo, or join the circus, ya mean 'ol monkey! You beat it, before I shove a banana up yer butt", and he turned to the mouse."Hey Mouse...run! Why's everyone after ya? They'll be out for a good long while, but ya better get movin'. Them girls that are after are just plain no good. Trouble, I say. Girls always have been", and he gave a little smile, and a laugh, and retreated to the underbrush, just his nose and eyes looking out.

Last edited:

larigot

"What the hell?" Belthar quietly said to himself. With a tilted head and a cocked eyebrow he surveyed the mayham that the skunk had wrought. He looked at the bush that the skunk had faded into and hesitantly walked over.
"Hey, um, thanks, I guess," he said, crouching down.
"Yeah yeah, can't abide trouble in my neighborhood. You should run off now... Wait, how did ya'll find this place?"
"I found it on the internet. The others followed me."
"Internet? What's an internet? How does it know where I live?" the skunk asked rapidly, his nose bristling.
Belthar wasn't sure if the skunk was being serious, but his gut told him he was. Dad warned me never to talk to crazy hermits, he thought.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Dad also had a corkboard in the basement, complete with low-res printed pictures from Google images that were loosely connected by trails of red string and unreadable Sharpie messages. Something about geese, Dad was always convinced that the geese were out to get him.

Then Dad discovered himself, left Mom, and had a gay wedding with the beaver from next door the following year. So was Dad really the best source of advice?

"My Mother always told me to repay a favour and you have clearly done me a great service, let me take you out to lunch. I know a great place." Belthar extended his paw with a confidence he didn't have.

Simo

Simo extended his own paw in greeting. "Lunch? Well, sure, why not. Got no plans today. What'd ya have in mind?" And, truth be told, the skunk seldom really made plans, things just happened as they did. But more and more, noise-some interlopers seemed to traipse up and disturb his peace, yakking into their walkie-talkies or tapping away at them, stumbling along like zombies, oblivious to their surroundings. Why even take walks, he pondered?

He'd soon be moving on from such commotion, but before he did, the skunk figured he might as well get to know the mouse a bit; perhaps he could better warn him about the vacuity and pratfalls of the modern age.

larigot

It was an hour later when they finally reached the town, leaving the mountain path and Belthars harassers - last seen passed out from the skunks vile fumes - behind them. While they traveled, Belthar initially fretted the consequences of these past events, but once he got to talking with Simo, as he learned the skunk's name was, he forgot his troubles due to the skunk's fascinating mindset. They discussed many things, in fact, Belthar would start a topic and Simo instantly had an unorhodox opinion about it; real music is vocals without instruments, education made you dummer, pineapple is great on pizza.

LadySajani

I actually have seen a round robin story get published. It was a closed writing group and it was awesome. "That's Not Kosher" by Norman L. Quincy (the group was called NLQ for Near Letter Quality and that should date me pretty heavily). It appeared in The Leading Edge Magazine Issue #18.

Being the internet, where you read stories about the British ship named Boaty McBoatface (Google it if you haven't heard of it), it's going to go south periodically. I agree with @larigot: if you don't like the direction, change it.

Simo

Golly, Mr. Cheetah, I'm sorry! I just wrote what came to mind, and in character. I didn't mean to be no troll...and I ain't never lived under a bridge! :v

But if it's not going where ya would like, maybe start again? I just noted it was stalling out, and thought I'd try to get things rolling. Sorry I made ya cranky, there.

Last edited:

larigot

Before we start anew, this story needs a satisfying conclusion.

Belthar awoke with a start. He sat up straight and recalled the last thing he remembered from his lurid dream. Pinapple on pizza? What horror... he tought. A sound was heard remote, so he pitched his ear. Is that a plane?

Moments later Belthar's house was engulfed in flames as the cessna crashed into it, spewing balls of fire in all directions.

Simo respawned at a nearby hospital, 500 dollars lighter. He ambled around on the street, spraying random passerbyes and wondering what to do now. There wasn't much more to do in this sandbox - he'd had his fun, but it was time to move on. He logged off.

SoL-JoS

Before we start anew, this story needs a satisfying conclusion.

Belthar awoke with a start. He sat up straight and recalled the last thing he remembered from his lurid dream. Pinapple on pizza? What horror... he tought. A sound was heard remote, so he pitched his ear. Is that a plane?

Moments later Belthar's house was engulfed in flames as the cessna crashed into it, spewing balls of fire in all directions.

Simo respawned at a nearby hospital, 500 dollars lighter. He ambled around on the street, spraying random passerbyes and wondering what to do now. There wasn't much more to do in this sandbox - he'd had his fun, but it was time to move on. He logged off.
Nice.

Simo

Well! Now I'm gonna start a story called: The Crabby Cheetah :p

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
I SHALL ATTEMPT TO RESURRECT THIS.

"I need new jobs, maybe some new shoes. Definitely some new shoes." The Crabby Cheetah looked down at the fresh mess caused by the body that slipped out of his arms. Splayed across the tile floor the corpse almost looked comical, except for that the Crabby Cheetah would need new socks if the body kept leaking as fast as it did.

It made sense in theory, being a janitor for a generic corporation by day meant no one batted an eye at the smells and stains on his uniform. And being a janitor for the mob at night meant that he had access to all the tools and chemicals he needed thanks to his day job.

Also working for the mob meant that he could actually pay bills on time and treat himself once in a while.

But now he had a different problem. And as his eyes adjusted to the darkness he quietly swore.

Last edited: