• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

About the search function

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
So, no doubt you'll hate me for this, but it's kind of annoying that the Search function pulls out keywords from the description of a submission. If you search for "gay otter", for example, it comes up with a straight pic, with the artist remarking that a certain aspect was "gay".
D=

A minor issue, but... yeah.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
what else is there to pull from? titles are meaningless a large fraction of the time, and lots of submissions have only a handful of vague tags, if any at all.

T

TakeWalker

I had a question along these lines.

What, exactly, is the search searching? All words associated with the submission, it sounds like. But how forgiving is the search so far? If I tag one of my stories with "archery" and someone (for whatever reason) searches "archer", will they miss it? Should I try to foresee every properly-spelled search that might just lead to my work when I tag keyword it?

Stratelier

So, no doubt you'll hate me for this, but it's kind of annoying that the Search function pulls out keywords from the description of a submission. If you search for "gay otter", for example, it comes up with a straight pic, with the artist remarking that a certain aspect was "gay".
Using the word "gay" when one means "stupid" is an insult. To stupid people.

Have you tried using whole-phrase searching? If I recall what I saw on the Advanced search options, FA has both phrase and proximity searching available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we just have to get people to properly keyword all their submissions... yeah.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
It's simple.

By default, all fields are searched. (Title, description, filename, username, keywords.)

To search only keywords, prefix the search terms with @keywords

@title for title
@message for description
@filename for filename
@lower for username (as it appears in the URL)
@keywords for keywords

So, if you want to search for "gay otter" using only keywords, you'd enter this:

@keywords gay otter

All this in more available by clicking the "Help" button next to the search field.

Last edited:

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
It's simple.

By default, all fields are searched. (Title, description, filename, username, keywords.)

To search only keywords, prefix the search terms with @keywords

@title for title
@message for description
@filename for filename
@lower for username (as it appears in the URL)
@keywords for keywords

So, if you want to search for "gay otter" using only keywords, you'd enter this:

@keywords gay otter

All this in more available by clicking the "Help" button next to the search field.

Wow, that's awesome stuff. Thanks for that, net-cat. Of particular interest to me is the ability to do stuff like @keywords "gay otter" OR @title "gay otter" (that'd work, right?)

Last edited: