• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Account Importing From Old FA [Updated]

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
We are not able to import information from old accounts to the current FA at this time. The archive from the original version of FurAffinity we were given is, unfortunately, corrupt.

We are trying to recover what we can at this time but do not have more information to provide at this moment.

UPDATED:
To import your account from FA go to http://www.furaffinity.net/import/ and enter your old account info and the e-mail associated to the old account.

Follow the directions and you will be e-mailed instructions and a key on how ti finalize the import process.

FA will import: submissions, view counts and comments. It will NOT import: watchlists, shouts or favorites.

Why no watchlists and favorites? Frankly, all the old favorites and watches may point to addresses that do not currently exist. Users may have taken different names, or may have opted not to rejoin for FA. If we installed checks to remove watches from the list it may not accurately take into account artists who have not signed up yet or have a different name. You will have to go back and +fav images.

uncia2000

hrrrmmm..... Just found out, now? :(

Yep; definitely good luck to y'all... *purrs*

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Re: Account Importing From Old FA

Preyfar said:
We are not able to import information from old accounts to the current FA at this time. The archive from the original version of FurAffinity we were given is, unfortunately, corrupt.

We are trying to recover what we can at this time but do not have more information to provide at this moment.
We had been trying to get it working for a while, but... =/

Alkora

we've got the mysql backup, it looks good, it doesn't look like it got corrupted, it's the actual images that are all screwed up...

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
gryc_ueusp said:
So is it the MySQL database archive, the file/image archive, or both that are corrupted?
The archive itself is a 21GB file that is corrupted. We have everything but the art, which is the prime meat of it all, so... technically, we can have comments for pictures, but no pictures themselves, which is rather useless. =/

The MySQL is a seperate issue. The version of MySQL on the server is a newer version of what we were using, and is corrupting itself. That's a relatively easy fix.

Daddyfox

Preyfar said:
gryc_ueusp said:
So is it the MySQL database archive, the file/image archive, or both that are corrupted?
The archive itself is a 21GB file that is corrupted. We have everything but the art, which is the prime meat of it all, so... technically, we can have comments for pictures, but no pictures themselves, which is rather useless. =/

Not necassarily... It sounds still like it's more convinient than just starting over, assuming all the comments and each piece's description is in tact. Assuming this, all an artist would have t'do is go in and re-upload the image.

Either way, it sounds like the old members of FA are gonna get screwed in some way. At least this way it's a LITTLE less work for everyone.

comidacomida

Can the resurrection of FA start with pictureless framework?

Give artists a chance to edit their pics with their own copies for those who choose while you try to reconstruct the file and recover what may have been corrupted?

At the very least it will provide the opportunity for those who are able to get things up and running on their own galleries within FA.

Tikara

The Local Purple Mew
Hoo boy.. so the old info can be ported over even if the pictures arn't there, eh? I agree with Daddyfox. The user can Edit the picture so the old picture is back.

...then again, if that's what you'll have to do, then people with over 100 pictures will be pretty peeved... :?

Suule

Persionally I think starting all over again isn't such a bad thing. Art, fave lists and comments can be reconstructed and the fact you upload your old art may even attract some more viewers that previously didn't spot you last time.

Although the corruption of the backup is a bit... worring. Some of us are still wondering "Why the backup is corrupted?" Is it just bad voodoo or thing done on purpose.

Well best is to move on and forget about the old accounts.

Try to rediscover the FA magic again

Dobie

Bummer again.... I'm not sure what to think of this...
but I sorta like my gallary the way it was.

anyways I hope things work out. :)

Arcturus

Banned
Banned
Suule said:
Persionally I think starting all over again isn't such a bad thing. Art, fave lists and comments can be reconstructed and the fact you upload your old art may even attract some more viewers that previously didn't spot you last time.

Although the corruption of the backup is a bit... worring. Some of us are still wondering "Why the backup is corrupted?" Is it just bad voodoo or thing done on purpose.

I am supplying Dragoneer with another copy of the backup, which I have verified to be working. And please, don't make such implications about me.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Suule said:

Well, the good news is Arcturus is uploading a new copy of the backup to us, so it looks like we should be good. Keeping our fingers crossed. We'll take a look once the file migrates over, see if we can resolve it. :)

And while I do love tabula rasa, I'd much prefer FA to be able to continu working as if the downtime never happened. It's not really fair for the artists, afterall, especially some of our best uploaders.

Daddyfox

Arcturus said:
Suule said:

I am supplying Dragoneer with another copy of the backup, which I have verified to be working. And please, don't make such implications about me.

I'm sure he wasn't suggesting a member of staff would purposely do something harmful to FA. Rather I'm sure he's just curious on whether it was hacker related.

Katrkoriza

You know, I always wanted the original discriptions for my work more then I did the pictures when ever I thought about it.

dustin6

did ya get the data from wats his name? (cant remember) he seemed to be quite upset at the time fa went down so maby he...

nobuyuki

dustin6 said:
did ya get the data from wats his name? (cant remember) he seemed to be quite upset at the time fa went down so maby he...

this post has been rated "LOL"

Tikara

The Local Purple Mew
Arcturus said:
Suule said:

Thank you, Arc!! :D *major hugs for Arc*

Kyubi-sama

even if the images themselves aren't there any more, i'd really hate to think about loosing all my comments, faves and watches -_-#

Daddyfox

Kyubi-sama said:
even if the images themselves aren't there any more, i'd really hate to think about loosing all my comments, faves and watches -_-#

Less for Me on the comments, heh heh, I don'mind losing a few ego boosts, but keeping the watches I had would be nice.

But, speaking as someone who just recently joined a new art community (www.storm-artists.net ...shameless plug, heh heh), if we HAD to start from scratch again, I wouldn't hate it... I just wouldn't love it, heh heh.

comidacomida

I still have everything I submitted (oh yes... HUGE amount of 9 or 10 files) so I wouldn't mind losing all of that off of FA because it could easily be reuploaded... I'd just like to keep all of my original descriptions.

As one of those "unknowns" that doesn't have a huge following or a webpage I would tend to agree with Daddyfox; keeping watches would be a major bonus.

Barring that we'll still have FA back, so it's a step in the right direction.